24x plex

vbimport

Damn it looks like they want to kick the cd-writer.burner markets ass with this thinggy. Its about time they cam out with it Damn 24x, what is that like 3 minutes?

Originally posted by cloakdoa
Damn 24x, what is that like 3 minutes?
Like having sex with a beautiful woman, no… correction, two beautiful women :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

first thing I saw when visiting the home page today, this is something to aspire to, do you have one G@M3FR3@K ? I always wonder if the quality is still there when burning so fast? is there more chance of errors? Will have to make do with what I have until the god’s smile on me :slight_smile: Did you see a price? & have you ever heard of a copier called LiteOn it uses burn proof and they are cheap (32r 12w 10rw) £75 not bad! Is it a case of you get what you pay for.

cosmicray;)

Live Long And Prosper

Are there 24speed CDR’s available then?! Haven’t seen them… yet! :wink:

i don’t think it really matters what speed the disks say they are compatible to.
i’ve used disks that say they are only good up to 8x to 12x speed in my 16x plextor, they all work fine, no problems yet.
but i could be wrong, it might matter.

Originally posted by accel7
i don’t think it really matters what speed the disks say they are compatible to.
i’ve used disks that say they are only good up to 8x to 12x speed in my 16x plextor, they all work fine, no problems yet.
but i could be wrong, it might matter.

It does matter…
Though some brands do not mention the maximum speed of their CDs right from the start. I spoke to a sales manager a while back (at the time when 12 speed was top of the line) and he said to me that thier CDs were certified for 12 speed, but they did not mention this on the CDs yet, for 12 speed was hardly available at that time. This way they only have to make new jewel case inserts, do a price up of the CDs and they have yet a new line of CDs. (they do not say you can’t use their CDs at higher speeds, but if you do it is at your own risk and the manufacturer is not liable for any damage until they say it is certified. It is all about the money and legal stuff, they want their a$$e$ covered :wink: )

But when you try to burn at 16 speed (or 12 speed for that matter) on a CD that is only certified for 4 speed, you are very likely to get writing errors, especially with cheaper CDs.

cool.
thx da_taxman
:wink:

This is what I cut and paste from the main site cdfreaks.com

Ok guys who are well informed, and I am talking to the ones who reported that plex 24X10X40 could copy sd2 games and will be compatible with all drives. I would not bet on this. You ask why? Well after reading your post I emailed plextor myself on the email on the web page and guess what the guys reply was
"I am not aware that the 24X will copy SD2 protected discs. Where did you hear this?

Howard"

If you need the email address hwing@plextor.com
Well let me know otherwise

After I recieved I emailed him back and havent heard anything from him. Will let you guys know.

@ Mrsash

I think it’s normal that Plextor denies everything… Hell they even said that Plextor drives officially do NOT support the reading (or was it writing or both?) of SubChannel Data! But we all know they do it perfectly … :wink: I think we’ll just have to wait untill the first drives hit the (in my case European) market.

Originally posted by Da_Taxman

It does matter…
(they do not say you can’t use their CDs at higher speeds, but if you do it is at your own risk and the manufacturer is not liable for any damage until they say it is certified. It is all about the money and legal stuff, they want their a$$e$ covered :wink: )

Some real unpleasant thing can happend like exploding cd’s and that’s a fact

I remember something a while back ago about exploding cd’s.
I dont remember if it was on this board or not, might have been on the ghostwriter board… Anyway I want one of these new plex’s

sorry about sticking this in the wrong place, I have some nasty stomach virus the last few days.

I just got my 24/10/40a today
Installation was fine, tried to burn Max Payne using CloneCD and it locks up my system every time. No certain point where it does it, completely random. Sometimes the system will just hard freeze, or completely reboot. I even got a Fatal Exception 06 error.

Anyone had this happen before? CloneCD is the only thing im running at the time, i have 384 megs of RAM on a 1.2ghz T-bird.

Any help would be appreciated.

First check all your connection; IDE cable, voltage connector and master/slave settings.

Then reïnstall your burning software and while your at it get the newest ASPI drivers as well.

Problem solved?!

Ive done everything there except the ASPI drivers. Are those mobo drivers or what?

Got my plex 24x in today,tried to burn Max Payne but it was so slow using the drive as reader/writer i gave up.I will try again tomorrow using the 12/10/32A as reader and get back to this post tomorrow.:eek:

Dont ask me,i aint all there
:eek:

Tried again this time using my plex 12/10/32A as reader + 24/10/40A for writing.Copied Max Payne in 12mins 19secs and it works in any drive this drive is great it’s so quiet i have to check it’s still working.Used fast error skip 3x retries and thats it:D

Dont ask me,i aint all there
:smiley:

and it’s a good machine i have no problems with it :slight_smile:

FWIW - I got this drive a few days ago heh and I like it a lot. I had to toss my Yamaha 4416 which was about 2.5 yrs old. The LiteOn was $160 shipped whic was about $70 less than Plex24x.:stuck_out_tongue:

Just got back from the local computer fair, and the new 24/10/40 plex is priced at £175. Ouch!
I am wondering if it is not so much the writing of the disk that is important, as so much as the reading!
What I am saying is, if I read Max Payne SD2 (for example) with a DVD drive, then using cloneCd burn it back with a Mitsumi 4804TE, would this do a good a job as an all singing all dancing whistles and bells plex 24/10/40???
IF NOT…WHY NOT???