24X burner writing at 12X

vbimport

I know this problem has been posted many times, but I will be as specific about my problem as possible. Lets start with the basics.

AMD Duron 850
256MB ram
2 hard drives both running UDMA (ATA66 I think)
10 DVD ROM (2nd IDE slave) (DMA turned off)
24X Cen-dyne CD burner (2nd IDE master, DMA turned off, Nero crashes with DMA on)
Buring with the latest version of Nero 5.5.8.0
Running both Win98SE, and WinXP on a dual boot system. I tried this procedure in both OS's

The Cen-dyne burner is a variable speed burner that writes at 12X-24X depending on where it is in the CD. This was confirmer by using Nero CD Speed. However when writting a CD (data mode), the burner writes at 12X throughout the whole CD. CD Speed indicates that the average speed should be 20X, but the time to burn a CD does not agree with that (about 7-8 min total, with the writting taking the expected 6.6 min at 12X). I am using media rated to 32X, so the blank discs should not be the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Are there some hidden settings in Nero that I don't know about?

Please let me know if I left an necessary information out as well.

For this PC.
AMD Duron 850
256MB ram
2 hard drives both running UDMA (ATA66 I think)
10 DVD ROM (2nd IDE slave) (DMA turned off)
24X Cen-dyne CD burner (2nd IDE master, DMA turned off, Nero crashes with DMA on)
Burning with the latest version of Nero 5.5.8.0
Running both Win98SE, and WinXP on a dual boot system. I tried this procedure in both OS’s

Humour me and do as I tell you.
1st. observation, is the IDE setup. I would place the HD’s as masters and the CD’s as slaves.

The fastest HD as Primary Master with the fastest CD as primary slave. (Normal is the CD-ROM as slave) for you it’s the burner.

Then the 2nd HD as Secondary Master and other CD (normally CD-RW or DVD) as secondary slave, for you it’s the DVD

Reason for this is the fact that CD’s on same IDE cause overruns. slow speed, etc. Also in your case, the burner reads faster than the DVD (10x = [10x4=] 40x CD ROM)

Also, High Tech disk utilities do not like (and some times will not function correctly when) HD’s set as slave to a CD master.

Think of your IDE cable as a one-way street, it has to wait until the traffic from one CD is cleared before it can change the direction of the traffic. If however CD’s are on different IDE, then traffic flows down one, up the other. (gee, even I like this simple explanation)

Then follow the advice in, (re Nero and InCD fix) http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43654

This fixes InCD loading speed, formatting and drag - drop on formatted CD-RW.

Turn DMA back on in both OS’s

Once this is done, you should not have any more problems with “Nero crashes with DMA on” etc.

Your CD-Writer is the one limiting the write speed to the disc. Sometimes discs do not appear as good as they’re labelled to the disc writer. Newer CD Writer will “see” the condition and quality of the disc before it permits a write speed. This happens to the Plextor’s and Sony’s 24X drive, too.

I’ve also experienced this problem with a SONY CD-R pack, which is rated 24X. However, most of the blanks inside the package can only write at 12X, some even as low as 8X. I’ve highlighted the problem to the SONY rep here and they’ve changed a pack for me, the new pack seems to work fine!

Sometimes you try ejecting the media and insert it back to the drive to force the drive to redetect the media may help … the drive may permit it to write at higher speed - since it’s re-analysing the capability of the disc each time it’s inserted.

Hope it helps.