24103S problem ideas please?

vbimport

This is a copy of email sent to Liteon support 27-03-2002 (Still awaiting reply from someone with a pulse !) Are they always slow ? Do they ever reply ? Or are they like most Taiwan/ Korean companies (like Highpoint and ABIT) that just don't give a sh*t once they have sold another box !

Sorry for all caps - I wasn't shouting but Liteon fault support text entry forces caps !

I run Highpoint RAID1 on IDE 1&2 and Liteon 24103S on Intel IDE3 Primary Master (with Intel "Application Accelerator" driver) on ABIT SA6-R Moby. WIN98SE and all latest drivers & versions of software are installed. Also have Adaptec SCSI with 2 disks and Plexy CDROM + ASPI 4.60 (APSI 4.70 = 4.60 for WIN98SE)

I AM GETTING FAILURE AT END OF CD RECORDING - IT GETS TO 100% THEN SAYS FINALIZING/CLOSING SESSION/CD THEN FAILS WITH I/O ERROR OR ASPI ERROR. IF I THEN CLOSE DISK SESSION AGAIN IT WORKS OK. HAS FAILED WITH NERO, CLONECD, CDRWIN AND BLINDWRITE. This doesn't ALWAYS fail - probably 1 failure in 3 burns.

ALSO FAILED WITH "BART'S BOOT DISK MAKER" WHICH PRODUCED THE FOLLOWING FULL ERROR REPORT WHICH OTHER APPS DON'T GIVE THIS SHOULD EXPLAIN FULLY THE ERROR:

Track 01: 677 of 677 MB written (fifo 100%).
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 710148096/710148096 (346752 sectors).
Writing time: 1163.700s
Fixating...
../../bin/cdrecord.exe: I/O error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: retryable
error
CDB: 5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 4.450s timeout 480s
cmd finished after 4.450s timeout 480s
Fixating time: 4.560s
../../bin/cdrecord.exe: fifo had 11186 puts and 11186 gets.
../../bin/cdrecord.exe: fifo was 0 times empty and 10997 times full, min fill wa
s 84%.
MAKE: *** [bootcd] Error 254

I HAVE CHECKED FIRMWARE - XB03 ONLY LEVEL ?
ALSO TRIED DIFFERENT ASPI LAYERS - ADAPTEC 4.60 and 4.70 AND NERO LATEST LEVEL FROM WEB SITE NO DIFFERENT.
ALSO HAVE OLDER HP SCSI CD-RW DRIVE THIS DOES NOT HAVE SAME PROBLEM. HAVE HAD PROBLEM ON 3 DIFFERENT BRANDS OF CD-R AND 4 BRANDS OF CD-RW AT 4X 8X & 12X SPEEDS

IS THIS DRIVE FAULTY ? OR FIRMWARE BUG ?
IDEAS PLEASE.

Hey all you CD FREAKS - is it b*ggered or what ?

:confused:

1: make sure that your drive is connected to the standard IDE controller and not the highpoint controller.

2: Have you tested the drive in another computer to isolate the problem to the drive or the computer?

1: make sure that your drive is connected to the standard IDE controller and not the highpoint controller

It is already connected to Intel IDE - only hdd’s on Highpoint.

2: Have you tested the drive in another computer to isolate the problem to the drive or the computer?

Haven’t got another pc to try right now - will bear in mind tho’
But HP 9210i SCSI drive never got this problem - but it wouldn’t copy protected cd’s !!!

Do Liteon tech support reply to fault reports ? Apart from robot !

Thanks for prompt reply OC

still :confused:

I wondered if “upgrade” to 32123s with patched firmware might fix this problem but I cannot get it to load.

Flash loader finds drive and starts to update but then stops saying - Read back and Verify drive’s DRAM…
then in another window the message - Compare BIN and DRAM fail !

Have you seen this one before ? I can’t find anything like it on the board.

Maybe it is connected to problem ???

STOP PRESS - I just tried to flash again for what must be the 10th time and guess what it worked and wants a reboot to apply changes. I will reboot and see if problem is solved or if I can recreate.

Cheers OC :wink:

Firmware “upgrade” to 32123s worked ok eventually and first testing seemed ok. But yesterday and today more errors on CDRWIN 4.0:

Error: “WRITE” command failed on device 3:0:0 Unexpected ASPI error (00h 00h 00h)

And:

Error: “WRITE” command failed on device 3:0:0 Illegal command request (04h 00h 02h 05h 63h 00h)

Then I checked my mail and guess what ? I got a reply from Lite-on support - it took 14 days, hardly prompt but better late than never !

It says simply:

I think your drive is defect from the description you have just given me.
Please return it to your dealer for a new one.
If you have any questions just let me know.

Best regards,

FA Engineer, Liteon IT.
Optical storage Div.,

So there we have it “from the horses mouth”

I posted this for info in case any others get this problem.

I will now try to upgrade my duff 24103s to a 40125S (if e-buyer will let me) despite the problem I am still a dedicated Lite-on burner. :smiley: