24103s->40125s JOKE ?!?!?

Hi All !

just a “little” concern about the Flash 24103s->40125s :

I did the flash to the 24103s drive (manuf. feb 2002) and wonder!
every thing was ok to let me believe that I have a 40125s (Nero speed tests).

Then I use CloneCD!
(it tells you the reading and writing speed)

Surprise!
I set up up reading and writing to MAX.
Reading result: bit lower than 40x.
Writing result: bit lower than 24x.

There is no difference to the basic specs ot the 24103s drive!

Who can explain that?
:confused:

1. Read speed: The disc you read may not have been long enough for the burner to reach 48x.
    2: Write-speed: CloneCD can’t turn off the Smart-Burn function, as such you must use 40x certified media (or media that smartburn thinks can be written at 40x)

I wrote two discs with CloneCD at 40x just some minutes ago, they finished in less than three minutes.

THX Airhead,

I think I understand.

Now the BIG question:
The “Smart BURN” function takes decissions for the “ignorant” people and decides for them!
Nero allows to disable that function!
There should be a mean to disable this at the LITEON DRIVE level so that any software addressing the drive don’t “see” the “limitations”.
Your thoughts?

All of us know that several brands of CDRW can be written at higher speeds than claimed on boxes!
Why can’t we decide to take the risk? !!!

The only reason I can se is that CD manufaturers want to limit us of some little benefits! (other explenations?)

I guess you could ask Olli to add the possibility to override Smart-Burn, like Nero can…

Sorry I dont know Olli, but Nero people know what command to send to the drive to inhibit the media “quality” detection (SMART BURN)!

This command could be sent to the drive just before using any other Burning software so that the media limitation would be ignored (I guess).:stuck_out_tongue:

Olli = Oliver Kastl, author of CloneCD and member of cdfreaks forum…

I’m really honored to be part of a forum where creators of tools like CloneCD participate! Bravo Olli!!!

Back to the subject: How could we avoid that somebody else decides at what speed we can to burn a CD?
The maximum acceptable it a suggestion or a warning but SMART BURN is a DICTATE! no?

Well, some new ideas in between:

I tried Nero CDSpeed with several medias that’s at least 3 Yars old and still wirgin!(Traxdata double guard and other)
they all top up at 32X writing speed! :rolleyes:
Strange , since those disks where surely not known and appropriately limited by the SMART BURN software.

This could be a sign of a “Default Value” limiting parameter?

Um, read this front page article…

http://www.cdfreaks.com/document.php3?Doc=91

If you grab the SmartBurn 2.0 ATIP util from Liteon, you may work out that those Traxdata are probably Kodak Gold Ultima, which although originally released almost 10 years ago, are capable of 32x burning on modern equipment.

Interesting article about the factory jungle.
I’ll try the SmartBurn utility with my Traxdata CDs tonight.

Does anybody knows where to find the command set for Liteon CDRW?:stuck_out_tongue:

oups… your reply about the MMC command set just disapeared !
:eek:

I was on the site and got the files. There is also an interresting link to ATAPI info:
http://www.t13.org/

The problem with the MMC command set is that it is generic and will not contain what I’m looking for : the Disable SMART BURN command since this one is specific to Liteon.

How could we avoid that somebody else decides at what speed we can to burn a CD?

The folks at LiteOn spend a great deal of time and money to see that the database of media that SmartBurn refers to is up to date. In most cases, SmartBurn will allow you to burn faster than the rated speed for that media. And, in most cases, SmartBurn lets you burn to the point of creating read errors on the CDR. So, shutting off this initial speed limitation really gains you nothing. The solution is obvious: use better media if you want to burn faster. In the case of Nero, and other software that allows you to turn this feature off, it’s not a case of “sending a command”. It’s a case of disabling the command that comes from the drive’s firmware to set the speed in the software. So, you’re turning off the software’s SmartBurn compatability, not turning off anything in the drive…

Interesting! Thanks,
I have some more questions :

1 ) If the software ignores the command comming from the drive let say for example 24x and decides to write at 32x then the drive will accept that and try to write the CD at 32?

1. I understand all the efforts of Liton guys but they cannot test all the CDs that exist have existed and will in the future so what does the algorythm do in case of an unknown CD?

If the software ignores the command comming from the drive let say for example 24x and decides to write at 32x then the drive will accept that and try to write the CD at 32?

That is what it is doing when you turn smartburn “off” You get the full range of possible speeds to select from.

what does the algorythm do in case of an unknown CD

Nobody knows for sure, but it appears to revert to some “generic” setting based on the general type of CDR.

Thanks for the info!

BTW do you think there is a way of intercepting this “drive message” in order to be able to disable the Smart Burn feature with software that don’t allow disabling it like CloneCD?

Well, Well I like trying thinks even if the guys at Liteon had hard work on doing it.:cool:

You need to look at the burning software in question. But of course, the solution is to use the proper media for the speed you wish to burn.

Originally posted by stevem
If you grab the SmartBurn 2.0 ATIP util from Liteon, you may work out that those Traxdata are probably Kodak Gold Ultima, which although originally released almost 10 years ago, are capable of 32x burning on modern equipment.

I tried the SmartBurn tonight!
You are right Traxdata revealed as Kodak and max speed as 32x while on the disk it is 6x certified.

Then I tried even older CDs like Verbatime and Fujifilm: The result was Unknown Manufacturer and a 32x max speed. It seams that the 32x is a default speed.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
You need to look at the burning software in question. But of course, the solution is to use the proper media for the speed you wish to burn.

I don’t think that I need to look at any specific software but just have a little progy in the background (started before the CDRW software) waiting for the message comming back from the liteon drive saying “my speed limit for the inserted CD is ZZx” and replace this with what ever “100x”(lets dream a bit).:smiley:

Then I tried even older CDs like Verbatime and Fujifilm: The result was Unknown Manufacturer and a 32x max speed. It seams that the 32x is a default speed.

It’s likely due to the generic write strategy based on recording substrate.