24102b recognition

Hello all,

A friend gave me a liteon 24102b cd burner, so i tried to install it, no pb, but then i realize one thing, it is recognized only as a CD, not as a CDR… :frowning: does anybody know this problem or have seen this kind of behaviour before??? i would be glad for any help, thank you in advance

What writing software do you use? Tried updating the writing software?

Your operating system may think it’s a CD-ROM only - depending on OS and service packs/updates installed.

i use nero 5, my os is windows 2000 sp4… it is really weird, before that i had a teac x4, and it was recognized without problem…

Originally posted by struan
i use nero 5, my os is windows 2000 sp4… it is really weird, before that i had a teac x4, and it was recognized without problem…

1: you may need to update your nero version since this drive is newer than your old TEAC.
2: if your nero version came bundled with the TEAC writer it may be an OEM version that will only work with the TEAC writer. In this case you need a new nero license.

OK, I did upgrade my nero, I have now nero 6, and you were righgt, it is recognized… but, my max speed in burning is X16 instead of X24 do you know why?

Probably just the media you’re using. Nero generally won’t let you burn at a higher speed than it thinks the cdr is good for.

Maybe, i will hav to check it when i get back home, is it safe to turn down the smartBurn? cause i have seen in the FAQ that it can be a solution to my problem, i suppose there shouldn’t be a problem, i use verbatim and from what i know, these are good media, am i right? do you think it would be a safe solution to my problem?

Originally posted by struan
do you think it would be a safe solution to my problem?

Probably. The Lite-on Ltr-24102B was the last drive made by Lite-on that was specifically optimised for burning really c**p media at max speed. In fact, it’s probably the most media tolerant writer ever made.

Whilst I don’t have mine hooked up right now, in nearly 2 years of heavy use I’ve never had any problems burning data at max no matter what the media was rated for and no matter how cheap and nasty the media.

However, if you’re burning audio, I wouldn’t burn at higher than 16x (preferably 8x) and for (s)vcds I’d stick to 8x.