240 minutes?

vbimport

I recently bought a bunch of blank DVD’s which tell me on the box (and also on the discs) that there is a 4.7GB capacity and 120/240 minutes available. However, when I dragged and dropped the movie ‘Schindler’s List’ into the ‘Make Your Own Movie’ option of Nero 7 Premium I see that the quality is at the ‘Low’ setting. The movie is 3 hours and 15 minutes long and the size of the file is 1.39GB and is in MPEG-4 format. So, why is the setting at ‘Low’ even although the size of the file is well within the 4.7GB size and also well within the 240 minutes ? Nero is telling me that the film (or file) is using up 4.37 of the 4.38 available. How can this be ? How do I access this 240 minutes so that the setting for burning will be on the ‘excellent’ mark ?

You really throw out a lot of terms there, many of them pretty useless. I’ll try to set you straight. Let’s start with what a DVD is: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd. Next take a look at a bitrate calculator, such as this: http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php. We plug in 195 minutes, choose CBR and get a bitrate of 2150 kb/s…hardly what I’d call high quality for a DVD. If you put 240 minutes of video (in DVD format) on the bitrate drops to a paltry 1600 kb/s.

I will give an example using a completely different format.
You can take a small .mp3 & convert it to a .wav with conversion software.
The .wav will be much larger.

If your television could play the .mp4 from a DVD it would be a lot better quality that converting it to DVD format that will fit on a single layer disc.
If you are going to convert this .mp4 to DVD format I suggest you burn it to a dual layer disc. or split it & put it on two SL discs.
My TV has a USB in that I can plug an external hard drive into. I know it can play .mkv files this way & I think I tested .mp4. I will have to test again to make sure.
So if you are going to be using .mp4 format it might be good to get a TV that will play from an external hard drive via USB.