24 year old Elite Torrent user faces 5 years following guilty plea

I just posted the article 24 year old Elite Torrent user faces 5 years following guilty plea.

Justice Department
Announces Guilty Plea in Peer-to-Peer Piracy Crackdown

Justice, 202-514-2008, TDD 202-514-1888

WASHINGTON, Sept. 12 /Standard…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12343-24-year-old-Elite-Torrent-user-faces-5-years-following-guilty-plea-.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12343-24-year-old-Elite-Torrent-user-faces-5-years-following-guilty-plea-.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Seems like this guy wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer! Doing “obvious” things like “Revenge of the Sith” online before it comes out in theaters is bound to get the MPAA’s attention. Man, anything movie-oriented of that nature will attract a lot of unwanted attention, so surely this guy must have known his days were numbered. Had this been stuff like just cracks or patches, while he may have still ended up caught, it may have happened much later. “Going beyond” and offering full-fledged copies of software before it’s even on sale will raise anyone’s eyebrows. I just can’t figure why someone would try to do something this “obvious” to make himself such an easy target.

That’s right Quema34. The MPAA has a ZERO tolerance for sharing their content. This also includes, simply downloading. Unlike the RIAA, they are usually after uploaders with a substantial amount of files in their shared folder.

If he waited 24 hours after it was shown in the theaters it would be on the net any way. Too bad. I will he afford $250,000 ?

The guy broke the law, but the level of governmental involvement here is somewhat out of whack. Even if you counterfeit money with a inkjet printer, unless the total exceeds $9999.99, federal DAs have a policy to decline to prosecute (they pass it on to the local DA, but the consequences are somewhat less serious). Apples and oranges being uncomparable, I am still hard pressed to believe that counterfeiting goods in this manner (and at the scale described) is a bigger offense than undermining the currency of the country. I guess the ol’ greenback needs to get better lobbyists.

Even if you counterfeit money with a inkjet printer, unless the total exceeds $9999.99, federal DAs have a policy to decline to prosecute…
This guy “printed” 2 million copies with his Bit-Torrent server. At a low estimated average value per copy of $10 that’s $20 million. More than enough to prosecute.
How will he afford $250,000?
I assume he had advertizing on his search pages, so he will have made plenty of money to pay that fine. The assumption is that these people distribute copyrighted works out of a Robin Hood-like need to share other people’s wealth, in reality most of them do it to make loads of money for themselves.
[edited by whaledad on 14.09.2006 22:47]

Some people never learn:c If you have read this thread, then take heed from it Otherwise face a 7 year jail sentance and a massive fine:( Greetz to all:S

My only issue with this Is whther actually possessing the files in order to distrobute them is required. As a Torrent Site all the do is provide a tracker to connect to another (or Several) users. If EP3 and everything else were not on their computers but mearly just torrents, then I could almost see the Conspiracy charge but not the actual copy right infringment charge.

Another Pirate bites the dust LOL!! tough!!:slight_smile:

Dang, sorry to hear he got caught and those charges are huge. I guess it’s back to the days of FTP. Warez forever!!! :B