$230 for parts and labour on a cd tray?

vbimport

Hey everybody, nice site!
I’ve been feeding off the extensive articles for a few months but didn’t have the chance to ask a question until now, so here goes…

My sister has had a karaoke machine shudder for about 2 years, and it had worked perfectly up until a week ago. Out of the blue, after the tray was opened, it would not close past 1/2 way. I brought it to a local repair shop, and after repairs wanted to charge me $20 for parts and $210 for labour after it was fixed, so I walked out of the store. Working in an electronics retail store myself, I understand that the mechanisms operating the tray are quite straight-forward.

They claimed that the price was because of a broken timing mechanism. I have not heard of this part before, but assuming how simple the insides of a CD player are, it suprises me that it would take a certified repairman over 3 hours to fix this.

Because of the amazingly detailed papers on this site explaining how CDs and such work, I assume that someone might have the knowledge to tell me whether I am being jerked around or not.

Please give any input you have on this issue, including any info/links that could teach me more on the workings of the this infernal “timing mechanism”. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as if I can get the price of labour down to a lower price, I would be saving a LOT of money. :slight_smile:

(All prices are in Canadian dollars, BTW, eh)

Thanks in advance,
Nate

I do not know what the cost should be, or if $230 Canadian (approx $150 American) is a fair price for your repair, but I can think of 2 reasons whyit may seem like a rip off and not be a rip off.

1. Although it may be a simple repair/replace unit, getting to it may involve taking apart most of the surroundings and enclosures.

2. There are standard hours/wages according to a repair char and this is what is charged even if it takes them 45min to repair the darn thing.

Suggestion:
Go to other repair shops to get price comparison going, if you continuously get the same rate/charge, you may bestuck having to pay it.

Also, wait off a bit and see what some others may have to post here as possible refernce links to on line schematics and design on this device.
Can you provide a model name and model ID#???

Best of Luck