223Q not detecting any CD/DVD

vbimport

Hi all. This is my first thread here. I am very frustrated with this problem now. FYI, I am not very tech savy so please be patient with me.

Some background info:
I just built a new system 2 months ago. I purchased the Samsung 223Q OEM from newegg. When i assembled everything and installed vista (32 bit), everything was working fine initially. My burner was using the default vista drivers. Lately when i started my desktop, my burner will not show up in windows explorer. So I will open the case, unplug and replug the SATA cable and it will detect it again.

Now today I was trying to reinstall a game and realized that the cd in the drive was not detected at all. I tried other CD and still didn’t detect. I downloaded the firmware from the samsung website and flashed the drive (i think i did it correctly and it even gave me the message to reboot). But still no luck. No matter what CD i put in the drive, the drive just spins and spins. Nothing happens. If I open the Windows explorer at this time, the green progress bar in the address bar progresses VERY VERY slowly and nothing happens after few mins.

Please, help me with this problem. I have already spent 5 hours trying to fix this. All the CDs work well on my laptop. Anyway I can start fresh as if I am just installing the DVD writer for the first time?

I will really appreciate any help from u guys…:confused:

Hi and Welcome!

first question: can you boot off a bootable CD or DVD? This can help rule out Windows or software related issues.

second question: are there any errors shown in device manager?

Since it was helpful to unplug and replug the Sata cable, this might be the culprit. Try a new cable.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2166309]Hi and Welcome!

first question: can you boot off a bootable CD or DVD? This can help rule out Windows or software related issues.

second question: are there any errors shown in device manager?

Since it was helpful to unplug and replug the Sata cable, this might be the culprit. Try a new cable.

Michael[/QUOTE]

1. I am not sure if I did this correctly. But I kept the original vista DVD in the drive. Started the pc and in the bios selected the CD ROM as the primay boot device and disable other devices. Saved and restarted. It did not boot:(. I got a message saying select the appropriate boot media and try again.

2. No errors in device manager. It is just showing “TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S223Q ATA Device”

3. I swapped the SATA cable for my HDD and still the same problem.

Any thing else I can do?

Hi,

okay. Since you could not boot off the drive, I suspect it’s broken. If possible, try in another computer. Or contact the vendor for having the unit fixed under warranty.

Michael

Looks like I have no choice but to RMA this drive. Will it void the warranty now that I have updated the firmware? :frowning:

Hi,

if you updated official firmware, you did not void your warranty. (IMO).

Michael

Hi all,

I’m having very similar problem:

SH-223Q, worked fine, broke (I probably noticed when I tried to rip a CD if I remember correctly);

DVD’s - no read (spits out the holder and asks for more), CD’s - reads very slowly (although, when I remap the drive to any other letter the speed suddenly jumps for about a second);

vista32, device manager shows all ok, flashed official firmware, reinstalled vista’s suggested drivers several times, reconnected dozen of times, the drive works fine on other pc (they tried it with eSATA), I haven’t tried to boot;

There are six SATA holes in the motherboard, the HDD is on first, the dvd drive is on third. Heres some of the motherboard manual. //EDIT: Sorry for not rotating :frowning:
There are three settings for SATA in BIOS: IDE/RAID/ACHI. Currently it is on ACHI. RAID is no good here, eh?

So, any ideas?

Hi and Welcome!

either you might try IDE settings in Bios for your Sata controller, or install latest chipset drivers from Intel website.

Another possibility might be a bad Sata cable. You might also try if connecting the drive to SATA2 (or SATA5/6) connector is helpful.

Michael

Trying to boot failed so i sent the whole PC for servicing.

Guys there checked the drive again and found out that it was only reading only some cd’s ad dvd’s, some slowly some normally and others were not seen at all.

It was considered a firmware failure and it was under warranty so I’ve got a brand new drive.

Thanks for reporting back :slight_smile:quote=transistor09;2177125 and it was under warranty so I’ve got a brand new drive.[/quote]This is a good solution. Hope your replacement does a better job :slight_smile:

Michael