223f vs 223b cd read spead

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S223B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi Guys.

My first post but a thank you to all for all the useful info I’ve already picked up from other discussions on these forums.

I have and odd situation and am looking for some guidance.

I am currently ripping my entire cd collection for lossless playback using easy cd-da extractor and due to the amount of discs (1800 ish) I’m spreading the work across four pc’s. They are identical machines (p4 3.2Ghz 1.0GB purchased second hand for the job and one was borrowed tested by me prior to purchase for rip speed) When tested the machine I used acheived rip speeds of around 22x so I bought 3 more machines the same spec.

They have identical o/s, hardware and software, or so I thought and after set up I found that and one machine will rip a cd at 22x in around 3 minutes as expected but the others rip at 8x in around 7-8mins

After much headscratching :eek: and drive and software swapping I discovered that there is a difference in the drives, all being tsstcorp sh-s223 oem drives but one is a 223f (SB02 firmware) and the others are 223b (SB00 firmware).

After further research I became aware that there are different versions of the same model number i.e 223f 223q 223b etc. Realising that the three drives where newer variant I found it odd that it is the older drive (223f) that rips the fastest.

I have patched the firmware to remove region coding and riplock on the 223b variants and updated to the latest SB01 firmware from samsungodd but it’s made no difference to the rip speed and so I’m now stuck as to a solution.

I considered flashing the firmware for the older drive but understand that the samsung flash tool won’t let this happen plus I would prefer not to destroy the drives as I have three of them. So not sure where the answer is and I will struggle to return the drives as they are as ordered (albeit a slightly different variant) so maybe different rip software or …

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Cheers

Geezer

Hi and WelcomeQUOTE=stereogeezer;2288366
They have identical o/s, hardware and software, or so I thought and after set up I found that and one machine will rip a cd at 22x in around 3 minutes as expected but the others rip at 8x in around 7-8mins

After much headscratching :eek: and drive and software swapping I discovered that there is a difference in the drives, all being tsstcorp sh-s223 oem drives but one is a 223f (SB02 firmware) and the others are 223b (SB00 firmware).

After further research I became aware that there are different versions of the same model number i.e 223f 223q 223b etc. [/quote]Not exactly. The final letter is the most important part of the model#. 223 means just “a 22x drive with Sata interface”.

Realising that the three drives where newer variant I found it odd that it is the older drive (223f) that rips the fastest.
This happens very often - my old LG 4163 is much faster than its successor, the 4167.

I have patched the firmware to remove region coding and riplock on the 223b variants and updated to the latest SB01 firmware from samsungodd but it’s made no difference to the rip speed and so I’m now stuck as to a solution.
The patches are not directed to any CD operation.

I considered flashing the firmware for the older drive
This is not a good idea since the 223B is different hardware than 223F.

You may try Exactaudiocopy, but I guess you encounter the same problem.

Since you ordered a 223F and got a 223B, which you don’t want, I’d suggest to contact the vendor for a solution. Optiarc AD-720x series are nice CD rippers btw :wink:

Michael

Thanks Michael.

That’s good feedback.

I will look down the route of exchanging the drives for sh-s223f variants and see what happens.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers

Geezer:clap:

You’re Welcome :slight_smile: