20x speed the limit of dvd-/+r?

Is 20x the limit of dvd-/+r or will we see faster burning speeds in future? Maybe 32x?

I think 20x is the logical limit for DVD5 burning.

[QUOTE=smsmasters;1976196]Is 20x the limit of dvd-/+r or will we see faster burning speeds in future? Maybe 32x?[/QUOTE]

Logically speaking, speeds will get faster, they always do! :smiley:

There are physical limits to how fast a 1.2 mm thick disc of polycarbonate can spin inside a drive without wobbling too much or break apart.

Most people thought the safe limit had been reached at 16x, but apparently not.

I’m fairly sure 32x is out of reach using single-laser drives, and I don’t think anyone’s going to bother about multiple laser DVD burners (similar to Kenwood True-X CD-ROM drives) which would be far too complicated for a $30 drive.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1976306]There are physical limits to how fast a 1.2 mm thick disc of polycarbonate can spin inside a drive without wobbling too much or break apart.

Most people thought the safe limit had been reached at 16x, but apparently not.

I’m fairly sure 32x is out of reach using single-laser drives, and I don’t think anyone’s going to bother about multiple laser DVD burners (similar to Kenwood True-X CD-ROM drives) which would be far too complicated for a $30 drive.[/QUOTE]

Then this could be an upgrade for the future for a price heh? I am will to pay for it if it happens! :bigsmile:

At CES 2008 LG show a 22x DVD recorder model GH22.

Let’s see if the medias could survive to the increasing RPM. :eek:

Overspeed from 20x to 22x to save 20 seconds and sacrifice the media???

That is stupid big biz politics… :eek:

One should check out this video.

[quote=Dee-27;1976805]One should check out this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0QT4Y1Y3ug[/quote] I saw that on Mythbusters. Please note that the 25,000 RPMs used in the video is [B]twice[/B] the rotational speed of a 20x DVD writer (or twice the speed of a 60x CD-RW/ROM) drive.

I think the guys in that video have way too much time on their hands. LOL.

Great videos Dee, I figured they would wobble but not explode like that. I really don’t understand this obsession with speed. What, to save 1 min. of burn time, 5-6 min. for a burn is too slow? I am only concerned with quality and don’t burn over 12x even with 16x media. That seems to be the cutoff point for me when quality begins to suffer. Just my 2 centavos.
P.S. I love them guys on Mythbusters.:bigsmile:

The law of diminising returns applies, same as if you travel somewhere at 30MPH in an hour, double the speed to 60 and you cut half an hour, to save another half an hour, you’d need a matter transporter. Doubling the speed again only saves 15 minutes.

Taking it back to DVD , 1x was really slow, 2x was a big upgrade, then 4x, 8x, a brief step to 12x before 16x - then look at the steps now, 18x, 20x on selected media. The difference between 16x & 18x is going to be close to the time it takes you to actually get the media out of the tub, glance at it for any defects and load the drive

It’s not about the actual time it takes to burn a DVD anymore - it’s about bragging rights when selling the hardware. Most people just go for the fastest out there, so they’d go for a 21x drive rather than a 20x drive or a 134x flash card instead of a 133x flash card.

The optical drive makers know this and that’s why we have this ridiculous focus only on burning speed, and not on reading speed or quality of burns (except in rare cases).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1980515]Most people just go for the fastest out there…
The optical drive makers know this and that’s why we have this ridiculous focus only on burning speed, and not on reading speed or quality of burns (except in rare cases).[/QUOTE]
Its a shame but this sort of thing seems to work on most people, and as you say the sellers know the fact, and use as I call them salesman numbers that often have nothing to do with the real world speeds.

I still see no need for >16 times drives, I get the best results with 4~8x burn speeds and for the few seconds saved, still dont see the reason for burning DVD’s at 12x and above, the same goes for CDR and 24x speeds.

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;1986826]Its a shame but this sort of thing seems to work on most people, and as you say the sellers know the fact, and use as I call them salesman numbers that often have nothing to do with the real world speeds.

I still see no need for >16 times drives, I get the best results with 4~8x burn speeds and for the few seconds saved, still dont see the reason for burning DVD’s at 12x and above, the same goes for CDR and 24x speeds.[/QUOTE]

I essentially agree, though I think you are a little low on the 4x end. I know my LG and Pioneer get 99 QS and +/- 200 PIF at 12x but only with the TY 02’s. It doesn’t get any better at lower speed (and in fact is worse at 4x) so why go slower. However, other media 8x is best. For most people, it seems they are fixated on speed. I’ll take quality any time.:iagree:

[QUOTE=ricoman;1987103]I essentially agree, though I think you are a little low on the 4x end. I know my LG and Pioneer get 99 QS and +/- 200 PIF at 12x but only with the TY 02’s. It doesn’t get any better at lower speed (and in fact is worse at 4x) so why go slower. However, other media 8x is best. For most people, it seems they are fixated on speed. I’ll take quality any time.:iagree:[/QUOTE]

:iagree:I agree!:iagree:

[QUOTE=Matth;1980505]The law of diminising returns applies, same as if you travel somewhere at 30MPH in an hour, double the speed to 60 and you cut half an hour, to save another half an hour, you’d need a matter transporter. Doubling the speed again only saves 15 minutes.

Taking it back to DVD , 1x was really slow, 2x was a big upgrade, then 4x, 8x, a brief step to 12x before 16x - then look at the steps now, 18x, 20x on selected media. The difference between 16x & 18x is going to be close to the time it takes you to actually get the media out of the tub, glance at it for any defects and load the drive[/QUOTE]

great points! :wink: … as far as the 1x-2x-4x-8x etc etc… i think as far as CD Burning 8x (and for the most part dvd burning to) was around the time you started to lose all the major speed boost in time of burning… cause 1x cd burning was a joke… 2x was a huge boost but so was 4x to… so in a way you could say all the MAJOR boost to less burning time was @ the 4x point on CD-R’s although 8x seemed to be the final one to where the time saved past that point was overall minimal. cause 10minutes (or less) to burn a CD-R or DVD5 in general is pretty good/reasonable if you ask me.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1980515]It’s not about the actual time it takes to burn a DVD anymore - it’s about bragging rights when selling the hardware. Most people just go for the fastest out there, so they’d go for a 21x drive rather than a 20x drive or a 134x flash card instead of a 133x flash card.

The optical drive makers know this and that’s why we have this ridiculous focus only on burning speed, and not on reading speed or quality of burns (except in rare cases).[/QUOTE]

+1, that pretty much sums it up as far as drive makers are concerned … although me personally (and im sure your the same) i would rather burn a little slower for much better quality vs faster with crappy quality.

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;1986826]Its a shame but this sort of thing seems to work on most people, and as you say the sellers know the fact, and use as I call them salesman numbers that often have nothing to do with the real world speeds.

I still see no need for >16 times drives, [B]I get the best results with 4~8x burn speeds and for the few seconds saved, still dont see the reason for burning DVD’s at 12x and above, the same goes for CDR and 24x speeds.[/B][/QUOTE]

i agree for the most part, although i never use 4x burning speeds on dvd media unless the media itself is 4x certified… but yeah, for the most part i prefer 8x burning on dvd recordables as it’s easily the sweet spot on my drive for burning quality/reasonable time to burn the DVD+R discs. (although i never tested 12x burning speed on it, i know 16x SUCKS on my drive (Lite-On 1673S), atleast on Memorex 16x cert (CMC MAG M01) DVD+R discs cause i did that once and never burned faster than 8x after that point.)

as for CD-R i usually do 24x but no faster (not like i can anyways since i use my old Lite-On 24102b drive (24x10x40) which has a max burning speed of 24x) although for audio, i usually use 16x as recommended on this forum with the ‘Burrrn’ program :wink:

The reason why I use 4x speeds with my LG’s is because its the best speed for very low Jitter, I can get within half % +/- .

QS % numbers and PIF/PIE are not everything.

[quote=zhadoom;1976448]At CES 2008 LG show a 22x DVD recorder model GH22.

Let’s see if the medias could survive to the increasing RPM. :eek:[/quote]

Does anybody have any idea when the LG GH22 will be out on sale. I am eager to see how bad or how good it is?

When NEC 3500 came out I thought 16x is the maximum possible DVD+/-R write speed, simply because fastest readers were 16x, just like 52x CD readers and then 52x fastest CD-R writers, I guess I was wrong.
But I really don’t see why you need 20x write speed, burn time is almost the same, but write quality suffers.