20x LG dvd Burner running at less than 1x

Hi, before i get to the question i should point out yes i am a newbie so please be patient with my dumb questions thanks

So i purchased a LG DVD burner from the local Chinese computer shop last Christmas and i don’t know much about installing, but i assumed it was simple, everyone said just to remove the CD rom drive and plug the cables into the DVD and mount it. It worked fine up until recently, i have been using Nero /DVD shrink to burn DVD’s and its takes 2- 3 hrs just to buffer it or analyze, then when the actual burning takes place its another 1 to 2 and a half hours to finish the job, and when it used to do the whole thing in under half an hour you can see why i need help, the only label i can find on the drive is in device manager and it says HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GH22NP20
Ive tried uninstalling it and considering a system restore but i thought id try here. Any help would be appreciated

everyone said just to remove the CD rom drive and plug the cables into the DVD and mount it.

Not really, new burners need an 80 wire cable. Most CD-ROM drives used a 40 wire cable.

You probably have a DMA issue. Go Here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2295200]Not really, new burners need an 80 wire cable. Most CD-ROM drives used a 40 wire cable.

You probably have a DMA issue. Go Here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/[/QUOTE]

Actually when i opened Nero a message said to turn it on dma but the system needs to restart, i selected to turn it on, restarted the computer but the message popped up again, ill try it your way, thanks

Right, well following that link MysticEyes sent i’ve discoved that my primary IDE Channel transfer mode is DMA if applicable and current mode is Ultra DMA 5 and my secondary IDE Vhannel transfer mode is DMA if applicable current transfer mode is PIO and its been set like that, i can’t change the PIO mode, but sorry to ask this but thats for the hard drive right? is there something that needs to be done in the device manager for the DVD burner?

You actually have to change the PIO mode to UDMA2 for the drive to work properly. The hard drive is set to UDMA5 already.

If the option to change the PIO mode is not available (can you post a screenshot?) then it might be possible that you are using a 40wire IDE cable and you need to change it to 80wire as already mentioned.

my secondary IDE Vhannel transfer mode is DMA if applicable current [B]transfer mode is PIO[/B] and its been set like that, i can’t change the PIO mode,

It appears that your burner resides on the [B]Secondary IDE Channel [/B], which is typical in many systems. It being in PIO Mode means that at some time Windows experienced a problem with your burner and kicked it down from UDMA to PIO. This is also fairly common (it is seen here quite a bit).

An information utility is always good to have. I like this one.

Reviewing my opticals it tells me this specific info (note my HDDs are SATA that’s why my channel assignment is different from yours):

Informations CD-Rom PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D :
[B]IDE Channel : #1 - Master Drive [/B]
Manufacturer : PIONEER
Model : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-115D
Revision : 1.18
Serial ATA : No
Support : ATA/ATAPI-7
Cache : 64 KB
IORDY : Yes
LBA Mode : Yes
DMA Mode : Yes
NCQ Mode : No
SCT Mode : No
DCO Mode : No
NV Cache : No
TCQ Mode : No
CFA Power Mode : No
SETMAX : No
Multiword DMA Mode : 2
PIO Mode : PIO 4
[B]UDMA Mode max. : 4 (ATA-66)
UDMA Mode Enabled : 4 (ATA-66)
[/B]

I know what IDE Channel, what UDMA mode my burner is capable of, and what it is currently at.

If in fact your burner is the only device on your Secondary IDE channel I would uninstall only [B]that[/B] channel from Device Manager and restart. Windows will reinstall it and all should be good again.

You may want to to see if Hemispasm has other methods in mind first.

You may want to to see if Hemispasm has other methods in mind first.
It is just quite probable that he is using a 40wire IDE cable, as you already mentioned in the beginning, in which case uninstalling and reinstalling the controller wont help. Other than that, your advice was sound :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, im looking into it now,will try and post a screen shot and following all your instructions. will get back to you ASAP

Thanks again guys, I did what you recommended MysticEyes, and uninstalled the secondary IDE Channel and restarted my computer when I did, it changed to UDMA 5 and now runs at a better speed, getting the hole thing done in half an hour, you guys are legends, but one last question how can I work out what caused that to happen, just so it doesn’t happen again in the future.
Thanks

If you don’t change the cable to 80 wire then you might have this problem again