20A1P KL0N FB does not detect MKM +DL

Hello everyone,
I bought a spindle of 10 Verbatim DVD+R DL 2,4x, Mitsubishi Kagaku Media printed on the spindle.
I put one in my LiteOn Lh-20A1P only to discover that it is not detected.
To be more accurate, I hear the disk spinning and the pickup trying to read it, but it fails and I get only mechanical noises.
I put the same dvd in an Optiarc (Superdrive of a MacPro) and the dvd is correctly recognised, same burning software, same OS. I am now burning the disk with the MacPro.

I already posted some scans of dvds single layer burned with my LiteOn, they seem quite ok so I don’t think the laser has some serious problem, moreover the dvds DL are from Verbatim, I expect them to be very compatible.

Are there known incompatibilities between KL0N +FB patch and MKMs? what else should I do to try to solve this problem?
At the time being I haven’t tried any other DL disk on my LiteOn, but I know that it can read without problems DL video disks, pressed.

I think I gave all the informations I have, but please ask if you need more.
Thank you very much for your help.

i think problem back’s to your power supply . i had same problem before.

when i wanted to write a dvd with nero , messaged “power calibration error”

after that i changed my power supply to stronger and saw problem solved.

I stress the fact that the operating system never gets to see a blank dvd in the drive, so I cannot start to burn and I cannot get any specific error.
The drive simply tries to detect what I put inside but it fails.

I will try a stronger power supply, anyway: I noticed that its rating is a bit too low.

Update: the drive CAN read the dvd, once burned.
It seems that the Optiarc in the MacPro did a very BAD job, so the scan from the LiteOn is horrible, but the disk can be read and scanned.

[QUOTE=olafmarzocchi;1922011]Update: [B]the drive CAN read the dvd, once burned.[/B]
It seems that the Optiarc in the MacPro did a very BAD job, so the scan from the LiteOn is horrible, but the disk can be read and scanned.[/QUOTE]

Reading and recognizing are two different things.
Maybe you need to remove some crapped software like InCD, Alcohol, etc.

Mh, we are discussing about different things…
My external LiteOn can NOT detect the DL disk when blank, no matter the operating system (I use Mac, I have no burning software at all except the operating system framework), but the disk IS detected and correctly read after being filled with data.

The Optiarc, instead, always reads and detects the disk, but, when used under Windows (under Parallels) in the Mac Pro, did a very bad job and produced a disk with a lot of errors, as confirmed by my LiteOn used as scanning device.

I posted the scans in a new thread about Optiarcs, it should be among the recent topics. I cannot link it because I am using Safari and I cannot read the titles of the threads (white text on white background… bug of the CSS stylesheet of the forum).

[QUOTE=olafmarzocchi;1922948]Mh, we are discussing about different things…
My external LiteOn can NOT detect the DL disk when blank, no matter the operating system (I use Mac, I have no burning software at all except the operating system framework), but the disk IS detected and correctly read after being filled with data.
[/QUOTE]
Windooze prior Vi$ta has no dvd support, either if its about recognizing empty DL media or burning them…
Use Imgburn and try to check the blanks in the drive.

But Mac OS X should have it… but I get no prompt about what to do.
Anyway, I forgot to say that I tried ImgBurn as well, but it was able to detect the empty DL only when it was placed in the Optiarc inside, not when the DL was in the LiteOn external.

Today I also tried to take some measurements with a digital voltmeter and with two power supplies: the one from the case manufacturer and another one I have here.
I found the best one is the stock switching PS, it gives 12.2 V when unloaded and it drops only to 11.8 V while the reader is spinning at max speed (I measured: detecting a media takes less power than spinning at 16-18X).

The problem is not about power supplies.

Now, I think I could have a bad batch of MKMs, given also the burn performance I experienced (if you looked at the scan http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/optiarc-ad-7170-mkm-media-231099/ , I get an average of more than 350 PI and 2.90 PO.
That’s simply wrong.

I tested and none of the disks of the spindle is detected.

Well , are you sure the burnt disc has those horrible errors putting LiteOn scans aside , I mean : Do you have another scanning drive to confirm whether the errors are there or it is just “another” problem in the LiteOn drive (which can be related to the initial problem) ?

I’ve had 2 20A1Ps dead (having problems reading blanks and burnt media ) in 6 months with the same syndrome (trying to read , noise and unability to read sequence )

I already planned to try a scan with the Optiarc, I forgot to do it immediately.
But it’s strange: the first layer is read ok by the LiteOn, the second one gives problems. Moreover, this LiteOn never gave problems with all the media I tried. I will buy an unbranded DL media on Monday, to test it and compare the behaviour.

I also thought about asking for replacement for the media, but I will try the scan as soon as possible.
Thank you for sharing the information about your 20A1Ps.

I was unable to scan the disk again, but I found the burner unable to detect an Emtec, a Fujifilm and a TDK dual layer dvds.

It’s the burner, damn. I hope they will take it back, it was an eBay auction.

[QUOTE=olafmarzocchi;1924450]I was unable to scan the disk again, but I found the burner unable to detect an Emtec, a Fujifilm and a TDK dual layer dvds.

It’s the burner, damn. I hope they will take it back, it was an eBay auction.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the problem is that you have CRAP DL media!!

There are so many variables…i don’t have many problems with that drive and Verbies.

Throw the drive in another pc and see how it goes.

chef, it’s not only those media, I know they are not top quality, it’s that Verbatims are not detected as well. Not even one of my spindle is detected.
I mean: not even detected as blank media! Crap media is usually at least detected as blank media, then it burns bad. But here I get nothing.

rolling56, I tried to connect the drive to my PPC Mac, to an Intel Mac, to a pc with Imgburn and Windows XP.
Same behaviour with DL media.
minaelromany said it happened again, so it could really be the burner.

Then the burner maybe is b0rked. Bad thing.

… yeah.

TRT with the Optiarc (MiB/s on y and MiB on x axis).
However, the maximum speed reached is the same of my LiteOn, in the second half of the disk.

Being the drive defective, I have been told it will be replaced.
I will then post the results with the new one.

I bought a Philips SPD6005T and I put it in the same case of my old LiteOn.
Some scans I did with the old Liteon:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/lh-20a1p-spikes-pif-pie-start-disc-225302/
The first scan I did with the new drive:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/philips-spd600x-post-here-your-scans-242307/#post2030352

The media used is an Infiniti MCC 004, just like some of the scans in the first thread linked above.

Impressive. It is not a so bad media, after all.

Scan at 4X not MAX!!