20A1 or 20A3, What does DH and LH mean?

vbimport

I am looking for a second burner to do Quality Scan with DiscSpeed. Dragemester has recommended a LiteOn 20A1 or 20A3. I have searched here and Google and the www.liteonit.eu.

The diff. models are named LH og DH? I understand, that S=Sata, P=Pata and L=Lightscribe, but what about the letter H? What would you recommend? I live in Denmark. I want a good DVD burner, but at the moment I do not burn DL and probably will not in the near future.

DH/LH are just part of the model names, and don’t really reflect anything that you can’t already tell about the drive.

The L/S/P/H referring to what comes at the END, such as 20A1P, 20A1L, 20A1H, 20A1S, denote interface and presence/absence of LightScribe. It goes as follows:

[/li]
All series are pretty equal in their scanning abilities. The 20A1/20A4 series drives have a quirk in which most of those drives do not properly scan at 8x, with a “widely accepted” slower scanning speed of 4x, and jitter scanning of DL media will fail at the layer break [the drives cannot scan jitter on the second layer]. The 20A3 and all other newer drives seem to scan at 8x just fine, and do jitter scans on the second layer without issues.

Assuming you can find either drive model [as they are somewhat old models]*, I’d take the 20A3 over the 20A1. However, either drive is a good choice for all-around usability.

• neither series – 20A3 or 20A1 – is a recent series and both have been replaced with newer 20x and 22x series. The PATA drives of the 20A1 series were replaced with the 20A4 series. Shortly following those were the iHAxx20 drives, then the iHAxx22 drives, and any of the older DH/LH drives you may find are going to be old stock.

As it concerns A1 series DH means OEM model with no LiteOn support and other firmware not compatible with the original. But crossflashing with codekings flashutility is possible.

As ist concern newer series only DH models with support are on the market, which login in the system very neutral as ATAPI device. Maybe this strategy change of LiteOn has something to do with the jointventure with Philips.

The rest Albert has explained.

First of all, thank you very much. [B]Dragemester[/B] wrote (in a danish forum) that iHAP/iHAS models need a modified Nero CD-DVD Speed to do Quality Scan, that’s why he recommended the 20A1, 20A3 or 20A4 series.

Right now I have a Pioneer DVR-215DBK. I just want a very good Burner, that can do Quality Scan and other tests. I have read and spent some time in this forum, but must admit that a lot of the discussion is too complicated. I am willing to pay, what would you recommend? It doesn’t need to be a LiteOn.

[QUOTE=Michael-DK;2183532]First of all, thank you very much. [B]Dragemester[/B] wrote (in a danish forum) that iHAP/iHAS models need a modified Nero CD-DVD Speed to do Quality Scan,[/QUOTE]

As jitter is concerned yes, but Erik Deppe said he will fully support iHas models with the next official update. I recomment the older A series because they are imho better burners than the iHas. But this can change with new firmware versions for iHas models. The only advantage of Ihas is the ability to erase DVDs, very unnecessarry feature imho, a good scissor will do faster and better. :slight_smile: The A series are proven burners and scanners and a god deal. Some slight weaknesses in DL and CD burning, but you have a Pioneer for that.

Thanks BurningFish. Which one would you recommend? Does not have to be a LiteOn.

As I already said LH20A1S or LH20A1L, because I think you will prefer SATA. A3 series are hard to find as SATA in Europe, A4 is only available as IDE and is not much different to A1 series. Take care to get an LH and no DH. With DH20A1 you need a crossflash to use newer original firmware versions.

Hi Michael-DK, nice to see you here at CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=BurningFish;2183538]The A series are proven burners and scanners and a god deal. Some slight weaknesses in DL and CD burning, but you have a Pioneer for that.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, it is completely unusable for CD burning. No one wants CD-Rs with 20% jitter, even if they’re used on PCs only (I know it doesnt happen on every CD-R, but in my experience it happens far to often to be called a ‘slight weakness’).

It also has a nasty OHT bug at DL burning, which is luckily not that frequent though.

[QUOTE=Womi;2183779]In my opinion, it is completely unusable for CD burning. No one wants CD-Rs with 20% jitter, [/QUOTE]

With some mids yes but not with all, Taiyo Yuden at 16x are ok. But you are completly right the LiteOns are not the best CD writers but Michael has a Pioneer 215 and that is maybe the best CD writer among the actual DVD drives, so both drives are a very good completion to each other because everyone can do things the other don’t can, and togehter they cover the whole range of duties.

Thats better for Michael than a drive like GH20 which is a good overall burner with similar strenghts as the 215, so he can throw a coin with which he will burn today but is still not able to test his burns with that combination. He will do with that two no better than with the 215 alone.

[QUOTE=Womi;2183779]It also has a nasty OHT bug at DL burning, which is luckily not that frequent though.[/QUOTE]
DH20A3: yes
DH20A4/LH-20A1: not so much.

The DH20A3 bug with OHT also occurs during CLV parts of burns of SL media, but this isn’t frequent, either. iHAS/iHAP drives are also exhibiting this issue, to some extent.

The 20A4/20A1 aren’t without their burning bugs [odd issues regarding LightScribe, the previously mentioned 8x scanning issue, occasionally halting the rotation of the disc completely to regain tracking when burning at high speed with HT/OHT with certain media], but they usually do burn DVDs well.

Neither drive series’ bugs are serious enough to take away my recommendation, though, since there’s an alternate Pioneer drive for burning [which can make up for the burning quirks with the LiteOns].

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2183550]Hi Michael-DK, nice to see you here at CDFreaks! :)[/QUOTE]
Hi Dragemester. I am here, because you did not reply in the danish forum :flower: BUT you told me plenty of other informations about the media to use: Yuden and Verbatim - I will get back to that in the danish forum. I saved a lot of time, TAK.

[B]BurningFish[/B]: Vielen Dank (means thank you in german).
I cannot follow your tech stuff discussion in the last posts. My question is still: I want to run Quality Scan with DiscSpeed or any other similar software (and it seems, that DiscSpeed is THE software for that):

What DVD burner to get? Thank you for your recommendation: “LH20A1S or LH20A1L, because I think you will prefer SATA”. Now I see on the homepage of LiteOn: LH20A1S or LH20A1L are both SATA, so why not also get Lightscribe! And you are right, the A3 series are hard to get in DK/EU.
So my choice right now is LH20A1L (ca. 30Euro in DK).

And it seems, that I was lucky, when I bought the Pioneer 215 used.

[QUOTE=Albert;2183821]Neither drive series’ bugs…[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, all the aforementioned Lite-On bugs are independent of firmware version, correct? They apply equally to stock and patched firmware?

I’ve always viewed the 20A4 series as the better burners, while the 20A3 series are the better scanners (don’t yet have an opinon on the 20A6 or 20A8).

[QUOTE=negritude;2184349]Just to clarify, all the aforementioned Lite-On bugs are independent of firmware version, correct? They apply equally to stock and patched firmware?[/QUOTE]Yep, they apply equally.

Some of the DH20A3 drives’ bugs were more prevalent with earlier firmwares, but can still happen [rarely!] with the test/newest firmwares. It isn’t affected by being stock or patched [except for some specific cases that have long since been resolved].

The 20A1/20A4 bugs are pretty much across the board, regardless of firmware. The only “bug” to get somewhat ironed out is that of the 20A4’s CD writing quality that was slightly improved with a test firmware. Again, the bugs aren’t affected/caused by being stock or being patched. [Logically, there is a greater chance of the “pausing at HT/OHT points during high speed writing” issue to arise more often with EOHT firmware, but it was already occurring in stock firmwares, noticeably so when using Sony and Daxon media at 16x or higher.]

[QUOTE=negritude;2184349]
I’ve always viewed the 20A4 series as the better burners, while the 20A3 series are the better scanners (don’t yet have an opinon on the 20A6 or 20A8).[/QUOTE]

Mmmh, why do you say this? In my opinion the A3 series are better burners (especially with the latest test firmware) while the A4 series are better scanners (A3 series sometimes shows high PIE number with -R discs). Of course, I mean quality for SL discs. :slight_smile:

I have a 20A1H and 20A4H. If I was able to choose between both of them, I will go with the 20A4H. For me the 20A4H it’s like an “upgraded” 20A1H; it does nice DVD burns. The tray mechanism is different, more silent; let’s hope that it lasts more than the 20A1H whose tray won’t open.

I have opened both drives and the board and chipsets are the same (MTK chipset, 2MB chip, etc). The only exception is the Laser diode.

The downside is that both drives will write CD media with high jitter and they will stop at the layer break when you scan jitter on dual layer DVD media.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2184919]
The only exception is the Laser diode.

[/QUOTE]

Sometimes even that ist often the same as A1 series, so two versions of A4 series exist, which are overall 99% same drives as A1. Quality differences between them are imho more normal series variation than generation related.