203B & Gigabyte SATA controller (Jmicron)

First off, mciahel, I read through your write-up (‘thank you’) as well as other threads in this forum. I am writing with what I believe to be a new problem(?) for me/us to troubleshoot.

The basics:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Intel P35 ICH9R chipset
Drive: SH-S203B

(I’m at work right now, so my info is limited, but as soon as I get home, I’ll be updating this post with screen shots and more details)

Synopsis: Nero 7.5.1.1 is bombing out when trying to finalize a DVD-Video to TY02’s. I initially thought the problem was doing a “on the fly” copy from my Pioneer 112D. So I had it create an image first. Still bombed out at the finalizing. These aren’t full burns either. Only a gig or less.

So I thought that I’d check for a firmware update for the Samsung. Well, there is an update from what I can see at Sumsung’s update site. I done the Winquiry and it shows the drive correctly, but the LiveUpdate for the firmware “can’t find a supported drive”. And I can’t get a manual update to take either because their flasher sees the drive (I think), but can’t find the BIN file which should be in the downloaded exe. :confused:

So, after reading through the forums here and doing searches, I’m thinking that there may be a problem with the ICH9R chipset or my BIOS settings. Possibly the burner doesn’t like AHCI mode? However, dropping back to IDE mode negates the available features on my new SATA HDD.

In about two hours I hope to be back with some screen shots so I can show you exactly what I’m talking about. “Pics don’t lie, but my memory may.” The only thing I won’t be able to get are pics of the BIOS, as I don’t have my camera with me.

To be continued…

(I’m gonna have to update my sig…)

I am running my Samsung SH-S203B on a P965/ICH8R in AHCI mode, but I gave up on Nero with this setup and am convinced it is Nero that does not function well with SATA drives in AHCI mode. I thought Nero 8 might get it right, but nope… no such luck. Honestly, Nero has historically been good software, but those days are over.

Updating the firmware is a good idea (the bin file goes to %TEMP%… that is where you will find it… or you can extract it with WinRAR), but I don’t think it will fix your Nero problems. I’ve asked Nero about this before v8 came out and they said they had not even tested any SATA burners in AHCI mode and they would try to do it soon… soon has not come yet.

I suggest you give ImgBurn a look if you want to keep using AHCI (I kept AHCI mode and dumped Nero, though I doubt I would matter either way)… Get the latest Matrix Storage Manager drivers from Intel’s site too… Good luck.

[QUOTE=Evolution2001;1935421]So I thought that I’d check for a firmware update for the Samsung. Well, there is an update from what I can see at Sumsung’s update site.

I done the Winquiry and it shows the drive correctly

but the LiveUpdate for the firmware “can’t find a supported drive”.

And I can’t get a manual update to take either because their flasher sees the drive (I think), but can’t find the BIN file which should be in the downloaded exe. :confused:
[/QUOTE]

Well, I changed my BIOS to IDE, but still no love. I’m going to try moving the drive off the Gigabyte portion of the ICH9R and moving it over to the Intel side. However, that side is setup for RAID (because it’s running my RAID1), so I’m not sure if the drive will even be recognized.

BTW…Why couldn’t I edit my previous post??? :confused:

:p[QUOTE=SithTracy;1935493]I suggest you give ImgBurn a look if you want to keep using AHCI (I kept AHCI mode and dumped Nero, though I doubt I would matter either way)… Get the latest Matrix Storage Manager drivers from Intel’s site too… Good luck.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the words. I have already updated the Intel MSM, but that [I]shouldn’t[/I] impact the drive as it’s running on the Gigabyte portion. Gigabyte has their own SATA chipset on the mobo along with Intel, but they both reside on the southbridge.
As well, the MSM [I]I believe[/I] only pertains to RAIDs. It doesn’t do anything if there’s no RAID in use.

I’m gonna try moving 'em over to the Intel SATA and see what happens. At this point, I’d just like to know why the firmware software ain’t seeing the drive correctly (see above post). As for going with different burning software, I need to [I]K.I.S.S.[/I] because this on my father’s computer and being as old as he is, I don’t want anything to complicated that I can’t walk him through over the phone. I know Nero enough to walk him through stuff. I’d have to familiar myself with ImgBurn. I may just do that.
But Nero aside, I don’t think Nero is my only problem here. I think there’s a greater underlying issue to be resolved.

Update: Had to manually extract the BIN file, but still no love.

…back to the troubleshooting… :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a hint [I]Evolution2001,[/I] read mobos manual before configurating your system. Its all there… :slight_smile:

If you are worried about ICH9R chip running IDE mode “negates” HDD futures then connect your SATA HDD to Gigabyte controller. (But as long you don’t run HDD’s in RAID mode it really doesn’t matter.)

Problem you have with your S203 (and updating firmware) is in no way related to drive itself. :wink:

[QUOTE=pinto2;1935512]Just a hint [I]Evolution2001,[/I] read mobos manual before configurating your system. Its all there… :slight_smile:

If you are worried about ICH9R chip running IDE mode “negates” HDD futures then connect your SATA HDD to Gigabyte controller. (But as long you don’t run HDD’s in RAID mode it really doesn’t matter.)

Problem you have with your S203 (and updating firmware) is in no way related to drive itself. ;)[/QUOTE]
[B]Pinto2[/B], What are you referring to in the manual? I’ve finetoothed the manual [I]prior and after[/I] my installation of the mobo. I’m rather familiar with it. What do you think I missed?

I apologize since you can’t know my config unless I tell you.
The system I’m working on is a video editing workstation that I’ve built. (Avid Xpress Pro)
My primary (re:[I]OS[/I]) HDD is on the Gigabyte IDE/SATA/AHCI controller along with the Samsung SH-203B. I want the AHCI benefits for the OS/application drive.
My Pioneer DVR-112D is on the IDE (PATA) portion of the Gigabyte chipset.

My RAID1 runs on the Intel SATA controller. Currently, the RAID drives are the only thing on the Intel portion of the southbridge.

What I believe thus far (and the whole purpose of this fact-finding mission) is that there is some inherant compatibilty issue with the Samsung SH-203B and either the Gigabyte SATA implementation or the Intel ICH9R implementation (both southbridge), or the Intel P35 chipset (northbridge).

I don’t necessarily think Nero is the problem 100% because I find it hard to believe that Samsung would ship a retail version of the drive with Nero bundled, ya know?? As well, I have another threadin these forums where I asked about the Samsung -vs- another Pioneer drive prior to my purchase. I chose the Samsung for it’s high rating as well as the fact I was hoping that SATA would make configuration and execution easier. It’s been the opposite thus far (at least when used with Nero).

This is a fact finding mission for me (and everyone else who comes up with the same issue). I [I]need[/I] to figure this out because I’m looking to build these ‘custom’ workstations for filmmakers in the area.

Update #1) I haven’t made any h/w changes yet, but as expected, using the Samsung as the source and my Pioneer 112D as the writer worked just fine for an “on the fly” copy. This is ‘workable’ but not ‘entirely acceptable’.
NOTE: BIOS configuration is with the Gigabyte chipset set to IDE, not AHCI.

[QUOTE=Evolution2001;1935536]the Gigabyte chipset set to IDE, not AHCI.[/QUOTE]Evolution2001, Not familiar with your Gigabyte board, but is JMicron providing the chipset for the “Gigabyte SATA”? I’ve got an Asus P5B Deluxe and it has JMicron SATA/eSATA and IDE… If that is the case, go to the Jmicron site and get their latest drivers. While I have my Jmicron enabled for eSATA and it is working, I am not satisfied with it.

The reason for not being able to update firmware is because the drive name string is being mis-reported. It has to show up as “TSSTcorpCDDVDW…” without the SATA prefix. The SATA prefix either comes with hardware SATA implementation or how drivers/BIOS implement naming. Whatever the case, changing BIOS settings or drivers may help. You may have to switch among the SATA ports on the MoBo to get it right, as well, if only temporarily.

[QUOTE=SithTracy;1935551]Evolution2001, Not familiar with your Gigabyte board, but is JMicron providing the chipset for the “Gigabyte SATA”? While I have my Jmicron enabled for eSATA and it is working, I am not satisfied with it.[/QUOTE]Ding Ding Ding! Tell the man what he’s won!! :clap:

From what I can find, I googled [I]gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R jmicron[/I] and came up with this: [I]Gigabyte SATA2 (JMicron JMB363)[/I]
Couldn’t find a quick confirmation on Gigabyte’s website, but this link shows my exact board. I just eyeballed the actual chip on my mobo and it’s branded Gigabyte SATA2 (here’s a pic of the same thing I saw), but the JMicron sounded familiar. So I did a google search for [I]GBB363 JMicron[/I] and came up with enough references to give me confidence they are one in the same.

When you say you updated your drivers but still aren’t satisfied, to what are you referring?

UPDATE #2) The SB00 updater worked with the drive on the Intel ICH9R side of the southbridge. But I’m already running the SB00. Attempted to run the SB01 update and still got diddly-shiat.

UPDATE #3) Running the Samsung on the Intel side of things didn’t correct the issue as Nero still bombed out. However, this time it bombed out at the beginning as opposed to the finalizing.
For now, I’m just gonna set the drives to have the Samsung be the reader and the Pioneer 112D be my writer.

Not entirely sure what I’m gonna do from here. 'Suppose I’ll check out ImgBurn soon and see what I can do with it. I wonder if ImgBurn will have the same problems running off the Jmicron/Gigabyte chipset???

[QUOTE=wallace0134;1935573]The reason for not being able to update firmware is because the drive name string is being mis-reported. It has to show up as “TSSTcorpCDDVDW…” without the SATA prefix. The SATA prefix either comes with hardware SATA implementation or how drivers/BIOS implement naming. Whatever the case, changing BIOS settings or drivers may help. You may have to switch among the SATA ports on the MoBo to get it right, as well, if only temporarily.[/QUOTE]
Nah, still not feeling the love… :sad:

From what I can determine with this SFDNWIN app, if it doesn’t find the correct drive, it won’t extract the BIN file. When it ran correctly (above post with the SB00 ‘update’) everything kicked off automatically. So that tells me it still isn’t working. :rolleyes:

(Grammar Police :cop:…not only do I like that, I can appreciate it! :bigsmile:)

I have the Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo with a S203B drive with no problems. But I don’t use the ahci, you’ll have to use ide in the bios. My S203B drive is connected to the orange sata connectors on the mobo. I don’t use or have raid for any hd.

Can’t you just use the flasher and get the bin firmware to flash to the latest SB01 firmware? The updater thingy is junk.

Haha…thanks.

Still odd that you can have the right OEM code, right drive name, and the program still not work automatically. :flower:

Is there a possibility that you can use WinZip, 7-Zip, Universal Extractor, or some other program to extract the flasher and the .BIN file from the single .EXE you downloaded? You may be able to flash this way, as DVD_ADDICT above suggested.

I believe I’ll hand it off to others that have more ideas about the Nero issue. If ImgBurn doesn’t work [usually does], then [Joke]the DVD Burning Authority in the Sky must be jealous of your nice setup and must feel the need to punish you. :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=wallace0134;1935597]Still odd that you can have the right OEM code, right drive name, and the program still not work automatically. :flower:

Is there a possibility that you can use WinZip, 7-Zip, Universal Extractor, or some other program to extract the flasher and the .BIN file from the single .EXE you downloaded? You may be able to flash this way, as DVD_ADDICT above suggested.[/QUOTE]Your initial comment about the naming got me thinking, so I took one more shot at it. The manual update with the extracted BIN [I]still[/I] didn’t work, but I figured, “Ah, what the hell…might as try the [I]LiveUpdater[/I] again just to be sure.” And what do you know, the damn thing worked!! :doh::disagree: I don’t know…some strange shizzle going on here…

If you are using the orange SATA connectors, then you are using the Intel SATA chipset and not the Gigabyte/JMicron chipset (“purple”). I had to put my Samsung on the Intel (“orange”) in order for me to make any progress.
Funny enough, as you just read in my reply to Wallace, the manual firmware updater [I]didn’t[/I] work and the LiveUpdater [I]did[/I]! Hahahah…:disagree:
Am I to assume you are running Nero and can burn DVD [I]movies[/I] just fine to the Samsung??? Straight data burns give initial errors, but still completes the disc OK. Movies are a definite ‘no go’ though.

I’m gonna give Nero one more shot. I don’t expect the Samsung to work as the burner, but I’ll find out for sure in less than 5 minutes… :stuck_out_tongue: (UPDATE…didn’t work. “Like, Duh!!!” :slight_smile: )
If any of you are [I]really[/I] nerdy :wink: I’ll be more than happy to let you dig through the Nero error log… (PS, anyone ever check out the “Nero Community” forums or whatever they call it??? There’s not a smiley available here laughing hard enough to describe it. :Z)

Last post for tonight… ImgBurn worked with the Samsung on the Intel side. Now just need to see if there’s a way to automate it for the people that need a ‘one-touch’ solution… I’ll try it on the Gigabyte/Jmicro side of the bridge tomorrow night.

Yes I know I am using the Intel sata chipset controller. :wink:
It sounds like you’re using Nero to do on the fly dvd recording which isn’t the best way to backup dvd movies. I just use dvd decrypter or dvdfab decrypter to rip the files to my hard drive. Then use ImgBurn to burn to dvd media. I’ve been using my S203B to burn many of my dvd movie backups. I don’t even use Nero anymore and when I did it did work w/my S203B drive.

If you’re backing up a dvd movie that has copy protection then you’ll have to use dvdfab decrypter to eliminate it. Then use dvd shrink or dvd rebuilder pro to compress the files so it can fit on a single layer dvd disc.

EDIT: Cool you got it work w/ImgBurn!:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=DVD_ADDICT;1935615]Yes I know I am using the Intel sata chipset controller. :wink:
It sounds like you’re using Nero to do on the fly dvd recording which isn’t the best way to backup dvd movies.[/quote][I](This system that I’m working with isn’t for backing up my DVD collection. This system is duplicating original productions.)[/I]
“On The Fly” is rather feasible now especially as processors get faster and since SATA uses it’s own channels, there’s little chance of crosstalk (“corruption”) in the data channel/stream. Additionally, I’m reading at max speed and only writing at 8x, so there’s [I]very[/I] little chance that the burner will run out of data. On top of all that, we’ve got all the goodies like BURNProof, SpeedLink, and all the other iterations to keep things cached and flowing nicely. :smiley: However, I still use a Verify on the important stuff. :wink:

The DS3R’s are new as of the first half of 2007. And the Samsung SH-203B didn’t really hit the shelves until just around September (2.5 months ago). I’m just curious how much testing with Nero you did in the past couple months before switching over to LIGHTNING UK! and Fengtao’s stuff.

Yeah, I’ve been using Fengtao’s stuff for a while now. But DVDShrink? hahaha…that’s a last resort. I prefer Nero Recode2. Far better compression with less artifacts. IIRC, the guy who was doing DVDShrink got picked up by Ahead and he became the lead programmer for Recode. That’s one of the main reasons DVDShrink hasn’t been updated in a coons age! (I never confirmed that though. :))

Yeah, thanks. But again, this isn’t directly for me. I’m doing this as a side project. I do appreciate your willingness to help though.
I don’t post very often, but I’ve been around a [I]loooong[/I] time. Long ago when [I]cough![/I] ‘surfing’ took place at 1200 baud and the really hotstuff people were sporting the wicked Hayes 9600 Supramodem. Yep…those were the days…Everyone wanted to be friends with the Couriers… :cool:
Digressions: July 1985 was some exciting times!
(And “yes”, I was on QLink before it became AOL…hahahah)

[QUOTE=Evolution2001;1935631][I](This system that I’m working with isn’t for backing up my DVD collection. This system is duplicating original productions.)[/I]
“On The Fly” is rather feasible now especially as processors get faster and since SATA uses it’s own channels, there’s little chance of crosstalk (“corruption”) in the data channel/stream. Additionally, I’m reading at max speed and only writing at 8x, so there’s [I]very[/I] little chance that the burner will run out of data. On top of all that, we’ve got all the goodies like BURNProof, SpeedLink, and all the other iterations to keep things cached and flowing nicely. :smiley: However, I still use a Verify on the important stuff. :wink:
The DS3R’s are new as of the first half of 2007. And the Samsung SH-203B didn’t really hit the shelves until just around September (2.5 months ago). I’m just curious how much testing with Nero you did in the past couple months before switching over to LIGHTNING UK! and Fengtao’s stuff.

Yeah, I’ve been using Fengtao’s stuff for a while now. But DVDShrink? hahaha…that’s a last resort. I prefer Nero Recode2. Far better compression with less artifacts. IIRC, the guy who was doing DVDShrink got picked up by Ahead and he became the lead programmer for Recode. That’s one of the main reasons DVDShrink hasn’t been updated in a coons age! (I never confirmed that though. :))[/QUOTE]

I use dvd rebuilder pro to backup my dvd collection of movies. Dvd Shrink was developed by the guy who went to work for Ahead Nero. From what I remember this guy was asked to stop updating his Dvd shrink program which he did. I have no use for Nero as the quality with dvd rebuilder pro is superb.:wink:

Hi,[QUOTE=Evolution2001;1935587]Nah, still not feeling the love… :sad:

From what I can determine with this SFDNWIN app, if it doesn’t find the correct drive, it won’t extract the BIN file. When it ran correctly (above post with the SB00 ‘update’) everything kicked off automatically. So that tells me it still isn’t working. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]At least the SB01 flasher does not run automagically. You’ll have to load the firmware file manually then: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/howto-flash-firmware-samsung-dvd-writer-231217/

Michael
P.S.: Since you connected your drive to the “Gigabyte SATA” controller (Jmicron) and not to the ICH9, I changed the thread title accordingly.

Michael, thanks for checking in. I was hoping you would. And thanks for changing the title. You read my mind.

As for the manual flashing, I did in fact try that last night, but it didn’t want to play nicely. I suppose I could try it again for schitz & grins, but I won’t be back over to the system probably until next week. Thanks again!

I have another system I built using the Gigabyte GA-P35-[B]DS3P[/B], which is the same setup, but with a few more onboard goodies (Firewire, more USB, Heatpipe on the bridges). It has the same loadset as this DS3R build.
If I’m correct, Nero and TSST updater should give me the same results.
I may have to do that to satisfy my own curiosities. As well, it might be something for you to update in your articles. :flower:

Hi,[QUOTE=Evolution2001;1935757]Michael, thanks for checking in. I was hoping you would. And thanks for changing the title. You read my mind.[/quote]You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

As for the manual flashing, I did in fact try that last night, but it didn’t want to play nicely.
What went wrong? This might be important. At least Wininquiry did not report a wrong OEM code :wink:

As well, it might be something for you to update in your articles.
Jmicron controllers are already mentioned as “problematic”. There seem to be several ways to deal with them. Some users reported they went fine with latest Jmicron drivers, other users were successful with setting the controller to IDE compatible mode and running MS default drivers. It seems, there is apparently no general rule to make those controllers running with optical drives.

Last resort would be the installation of a Silicon Image based controller card that is flashed to BASE firmware.
Or you may try the drive on your Intel controller.

Michael