2013: DVD-R or DVD+r suggestion

Hi,

today is suggested to use the old DVD-R standard or switch to the more modern an error-free DVD+R?

In past I have used only DVD-R and DVD+R DUAL LAYER, but now, I’m asking if is better to use DVD+R for all.

I have read that DVD+R is technologically better of DVD-R, but is not a dead format? I have read that DVD-R is the DVDFORUM STANDARD.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

What are you using them for? Movie backup?

Is it Kerry that’s the PLUS R proponent? And I think he bases this preference on "newer standard, newer manufacturing equipment, perhaps higher materiel quality? (Not that any manufacturer would be forthright about any of these issues.)

The MINUS R proponents might claim “Older DVD-Video Players were first using the MINUS R standards, so MINUS R disks have a chance for greater compatibility.”

It then appears to be a “Better Burning Quality vs. More Compatible Playback” but if a consumer asks, “How many of the world’s oldest DVD players will I use?” then the MINUS faction probably loses ground.

I am unconvinced by ‘better materiel’ arguments especially since manufacturing of disks has, for the most part, become the sole focus of cost-cutting and using cheapest materials possible. If there’s an issue of Better, I think the appropriate follow-up question is “… than what?”

Longevity is the important factor for me, and I’m unsure if I will believe any argument that claims one standard is absolutely, certainly the longer-lasting of the two. I barely put stock in tests that claim to reasonably predict a 5-10-30 year lifespan of these items.

+1 for +R

the extra error correction matters a lot to me. I think as mentioned above, the issue with compatibility with really old DVD players (and some really old DVD-ROM drives) is not an issue anymore. Also, you can use bitsetting on some burners to make your DVD+Rs look like DVD-ROMs to make them compatible with those old players.

In conclusion, today, year 2013, is better to use DVD+R ?

If I have understand, DVD+R can give more reliability and longevity and DVD-R don’t assure a quality burning process.

What I need to use to preserve my DVD-Video and my data?

I always suggest that burning good quality DVD+R with bitsetting is the way to go.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2706655]Is it Kerry that’s the PLUS R proponent? And I think he bases this preference on "newer standard, newer manufacturing equipment, perhaps higher materiel quality? (Not that any manufacturer would be forthright about any of these issues.)

The MINUS R proponents might claim “Older DVD-Video Players were first using the MINUS R standards, so MINUS R disks have a chance for greater compatibility.”

It then appears to be a “Better Burning Quality vs. More Compatible Playback” but if a consumer asks, “How many of the world’s oldest DVD players will I use?” then the MINUS faction probably loses ground.

I am unconvinced by ‘better materiel’ arguments especially since manufacturing of disks has, for the most part, become the sole focus of cost-cutting and using cheapest materials possible. If there’s an issue of Better, I think the appropriate follow-up question is “… than what?”

Longevity is the important factor for me, and I’m unsure if I will believe any argument that claims one standard is absolutely, certainly the longer-lasting of the two. I barely put stock in tests that claim to reasonably predict a 5-10-30 year lifespan of these items.[/QUOTE]
I agree , I have burned alot of discs and the dash r are always more compatible for me. But nothing beats a good quality disc, and we all know who makes them.:wink:

[QUOTE=Antigen;2706645]Hi,

today is suggested to use the old DVD-R standard or switch to the more modern an error-free DVD+R?

In past I have used only DVD-R and DVD+R DUAL LAYER, but now, I’m asking if is better to use DVD+R for all.

I have read that DVD+R is technologically better of DVD-R, but is not a dead format? I have read that DVD-R is the DVDFORUM STANDARD.

What do you suggest?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It depends on your usage. Because the error correction and better disc wobble prevention is VERY important to me when dubbing television recordings onto my Phillips DVD player (makes it so much easier / less likely for copying the discs over on a computer to fail) I always use DVD+R.

It’s a bit of an inconvenience having to finalise them after recording (whereas with DVD-R you don’t need to, and tend to be better supported in older drives) but an extra two minutes for more stability is worth my time.

Again, it depends on your usage. For duplication, DVD-R will be cheaper - but now prices are to the point where they’re both the same price regardless of + / -.

[QUOTE=Antigen;2706689]In conclusion, today, year 2013, is better to use DVD+R ?

If I have understand, DVD+R can give more reliability and longevity and DVD-R don’t assure a quality burning process.

What I need to use to preserve my DVD-Video and my data?[/QUOTE]

Quality DVD blanks, a dark cupboard, and crossed fingers.

I don’t know why vendor or printing surface should make a difference, but the best discs both myself & a friend found in 2013 were 8x TY Pro +'s from Media Supply.

8X TY +'s either from any other vendor I tried or with any surface other than shiny silver were significantly worse. These silvers average 200-300 PIF’s. The same disc with a white printing surface averaged over 3,000 PIF’s. If anyone has an explanation (other than they think I’m an idiot) I’d be very curious to hear it!