2012: How long does it take you to burn a DVD?

vbimport

I haven’t kept up with what’s current in burning tech in years.

I’m looking for info on burning DVD-5s and DVD-9s, not Blu-Ray or other “exotic” stuff.

What are typical burning speeds? Typical burn times for (95% full) DVD-5s and DVD-9s at those speeds (I’m talking a nice, ready image file like an ISO that’s ready to burn)? Typical verification times? Typical prices for buying DVD-5 and DVD-9 media in bulk that will burn at those speeds?

Feel free to recommend good hardware and media choices these days.

I have been working with DVD and Blu-ray for a long time, doing Back-up on both. Now I only use DVDFab and Verbatim Media, DVD-5 about $.25/Disc and DVD-9 $1/Disc. For DVD’s Fab does both the Rip to HDD, and the Burn. I do Movie Only, and it takes about 30mins for Rip and Burn per Back-up Movie. I have a Core i7 with 12Gb or RAM, Windows 7 Pro Workstation. :cool:

The OP asked about burning time.

I rarely burn DVDs these days, but usually a full DVD5 media takes about 10 mins because i see no sense to burn at full speeds.

I also think BD is no exotic format…

[QUOTE=John_Qyoo_Public;2629664]I haven’t kept up with what’s current in burning tech in years.

I’m looking for info on burning DVD-5s and DVD-9s, not Blu-Ray or other “exotic” stuff.

What are typical burning speeds? Typical burn times for (95% full) DVD-5s and DVD-9s at those speeds (I’m talking a nice, ready image file like an ISO that’s ready to burn)? Typical verification times? Typical prices for buying DVD-5 and DVD-9 media in bulk that will burn at those speeds?

Feel free to recommend good hardware and media choices these days.[/QUOTE]

Burn and verify speed may vary mainly on the size of the burn, and also on other factors.
If all goes as planned you will need close to 5minutes to verify a DVD and 8-10 minutes if you burn at 8x on single layer discs.

The price of a blank DVD is irrelevant* now days, you need to get good quality media, such as Verbatim and TY.
Good hardware, i would suggest the latest optiarc drives.

*unless you really need the few cents that you will be saving from low quality media.

@Chef if you pay close to 2 Eur. for a good media it is an exotic format compared to the 0.30 Eur. that you spent on a DVD-/+R discs

I still think “BD is no exotic format anymore”. :wink:

I think I have some exotic format(discs) here, like HD DVD-R / DL, DVD-R(A) as 3.95 and 4.7 … :wink:

[QUOTE=chef;2629853]I still think “BD is no exotic format anymore”. :wink:

I think I have some exotic format(discs) here, like HD DVD-R / DL, DVD-R(A) as 3.95 and 4.7 … ;)[/QUOTE]

I only burn single layer 4.7gb DVD+R discs as “data discs”

Typically filled with mp3 files for playback in my Sony MEX-DV2200 car Stereo.

It typically takes ~8minutes to burn and verify a 98% full disc

I use Roxio 2010 to do my burning on my Q9450 quad-core computer running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

My Burner is a Sony-Optiarc AD-7261S

One of these days I’ll buy a spindle pack of DL discs as my head unit will play DL data discs, but as things stand I can “tolerate” a single layer mix disc for about six weeks before I switch to another disc…