2007 Panasonic BD-R vs. manufactured 5 years from now

vbimport

I currently have a 30-disc spindle of MEI-T02-001, acquired a year ago for $37 before the massive shortage. Given my rate of use (~5 discs/year for archival purposes), I probably won’t need another spindle for 5 years. Right now there’s still a chance to secure some of the original stock from a few select sellers, so I’m pondering: If I care about the longevity of my data, are 20-year-old MEI blanks still any good (remember, 5 years from now + the 5 years I’ll be using the new spindle for) or should I just wait for new stock made in Taiwan/UAE/India (crosses fingers for Japan) 5 years in the future?

I know that this is a bit of an apple to oranges comparison but it is empirical nevertheless.

Recently I found use for average grade Phillips & TDK CD-R and DVD-R blanks that have been lurking for 10-15 years unpackaged within their original spindle (cake box with paper based retail packaging and another spindle on top to minimise the sunlight exposure). Not having been looked after in any super special way (eg. Only kept away from direct sunlight and on a shelf in a household) I expected them not to work well or at all.

After having burnt about 15 of the disks, none of them turned into coasters at max burn speed. Also each disk passed post burn verification tests without the drive having to slow down at any point.

This makes me think that high grade HTL disks stand as much or even better chance given their enhanced chemistry and material composition.

I should note that the disks were burned using a much more recent drive (drive which was released at least a decade after the disks were manufactured).

This is why I chose to stock up on SL BD-R media from Panasonic as I do not expect any newly manufactured stock to maintain or exceed their proven track record. The downsized market also doesn’t normally help manufacturing rigor for consumer grade products.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk