200 GB Blu-ray disc by TDK

I just posted the article 200 GB Blu-ray disc by TDK.

According to a news published at Hexus, TDK announced a 200 GB Blu-ray disc prototype. This high capacity is obtained putting six 33.3GB layers on a single disc, so increasing not only the number of…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12899-200-GB-Blu-ray-disc-by-TDK.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12899-200-GB-Blu-ray-disc-by-TDK.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

wow… this news is really REALLY old.

not compatable with the current gen bd; if they !@#$ early adaptors, i don’t think bd will be trusted enough to gain user support. 6 layers are for recordable media is questionable for the practical purpose unless it’s going to be far better than current double layer dvdr; however, 33gb is commendable.

The title says Blu-ray but the article says “As for multilayer HD-DVD discs, however, it’s not yet clear if current drives will be able to read these discs”. Is it HD or BD?

This just proves even if it is old news, that BLU-RAY should never have been released in the first place. It should have been the next step in technology after HD-DVD, this would have given them time to develop this more or even work some new format out, combining holographic discs + bluy-ray Or something verry nice, so we could step up from 5-20gb per disc to about 300-400Gb per disc. The optical media is WAY behind the development of harddrives these days.

You’re preaching to the choir, Dennis_Olof. :slight_smile: Imagine a Sony VAIO XL1B2 style device but with 300GB disks. I’d imagine you’de need $2000 just to turn it on. lol Even at just 4 GB per DVD, that Sony unit whoops any Tape backup system. It’s 70 lbs, the size of a small computer, and has 800GB of nonvolitile storage. This is way better then risky tape drives and fragile hard disks! If I made a 200 BD/HD array, I’d never be able to find enough data to fill it (well this year)! Imagine a $15000 price tag including the blank disks. This will be nice at 4TB of virtually indestructible storage. Of course a RAID array makes more sense right now because you can get 20TB of hard drives for a lot less then that and just make redundant copies. Now to go find a way to get $15000 legally, within a week. :stuck_out_tongue: