20 pack Verbatim +DL sucks!

just lettin everybody know…i’ve burned close to 100 verbatim dl disks using their 10 packs (which i’ve bought from best buy, compusa and other places) and have had about 2-3 disk failures (probably due to my drive dying). So about 2 weeks ago best buy had the 20 pack on sale (same price as 2 10 packs). About 90% of the disks in the 20 pack didnt play in any of my dvd players. When i copy the exact same dvd onto my 10 pack disk it works fine. So i thot to myself “must be a bad batch”. So i went to officemax to buy it. Same result. About 80% of it is bad. And the ones that are good skip a lot. It seems to be the same media (at least dvd decrypter detects it as the same) however in my experience it is not. STAY AWAY FROM THE 20 PACK VERBATIM+DL. these are the mkm-001 (or something like that cant remember off the top of my head)

It could be that Verbatim is outsourcing.
Were the Verbatim +DL Made in Taiwan or Made in Singapore?

Probably a bad batch like you said. And it’s very likely that the other 20 pack is of that same batch.

Drive, firmware, software?

Are you sure you weren’t burnin -DL and not +DL at times? Not being rude and I know it is obvious, but I have accidentally picked up the wrong format at times when I am supposed to be getting -Rs I have accidentally picked up +Rs instead and vice versa. It’s quite easy to do where I go as they are right next to each other and people tend not to put things back on the shelves properly.

Uhh, all the 3 packs and 10 packs are MKM001 as well. Any of the 2.4x officially rated Verbatim D/L DVD+R are MKM001.

disks were made in singapore…im almost positive it isnt firmware, software or drive error since i swapped back and forth between the 20 pack disks and the 10 pack disks copying the same original dvd. and yes i know they are all mkm001…i hope its just a bad batch x 2…however i myself will never buy the 20 pack again.

Silver5656,

thanks for letting us know that.
Me personally could help this surely to avoid buying questionable 20pcs packs.

Please post the disc serial numbers.
Can we see some quality scans on these “bad” discs?

Also, has anyone else had an issue with these?
If so, please let us know!

I bought a 25 printable pack from aprmedia, and while they might not be as good as the ten pack’s they are not terrible, maybe it was a bad batch as others are saying. PV5Y4IH4034516 is the number on the clear bit in the centre of one of my discs.
a scan of a printable:

a scan of one of my older discs that came from a ten pack:

Re: 20 pack Verbatim +DL SUCKS!

I bought a 25 printable pack from aprmedia, and while they might not be as good as the ten pack’s they are not terrible, maybe it was a bad batch as others are saying. PV5Y4IH4034516 is the number on the clear bit in the centre of one of my discs.
a scan of a printable

What speed did you burn these at? i have same writer with kys4 firmware and i could not get the verbatim dl +r discs to work past 2.4x. i made 2 coasters when trying to burn at 4x. this was from a 10-pack with the same media code mkm 001

i got the firmware from www.sonyisstorage.com, version KY06. These^ were burnt at 2.4x I can burn these at 4x with quality scores of 75%. I have the external drx-800ul, although the firmware ive got should be fine for the dru-800a.

Just burned two from new 20 pack from BESTBUY, one on PIONEER 111D@A11XL and the other on LG4167b. Both burned on IMGBurn @ 4X and scanned on BENQ 1640 with QS of 95 and 96 respectively and avg. jitter in the low 9’s. I would definately buy again at $2 each. These are comparable in every way to the ten-packs I’ve bought in the past.

It’s just an opinion, but I highly doubt during production, that the 10 spindle disks are produced any differently than 20’s, 30’s or 80’s.

They likely all come off the same line and get packaged appropriatly.

I think there must be something different as what would cause the huge difference in the way my PIE’s change levels compared to how those on the ten pack DL;s just go at a steady rate, a bit bizarre.

thanks for the info, i tried checking that sonyisstorage website for other firmware but i could not download anything from that site for some reason, maybe i have to register with them. i have not tried the KY06 firmware that your running yet, but i will try it to see if it improves burning at 4x

i uploaded it to yousendit.com, heres the link, let me know if it works.
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=14P8S5VAPGSLO1YWLON6EUGT1W

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I have only been able to get 70% quality scores when burning at 4x with my external 800ul. You might get better results as yours is internal, but dont count on it.

[QUOTE=gregtherotterius]i uploaded it to yousendit.com, heres the link, let me know if it works.
http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=14P8S5VAPGSLO1YWLON6EUGT1W

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I have only been able to get 70% quality scores when burning at 4x with my external 800ul. You might get better results as yours is internal, but dont count on it.[/QUOTE

yes this link worked, thanks. i don’t really expect a big improvement but i am new at this and have yet to test out all the differenet firmware to see what works best. i still have’nt figured out if i should keep my drive as a sony q28a or a lite-on 1693s.

Er, how the hell can the drive’s connection method make a bit of difference in the quality of a burn?!

It can, always. There are many important factors.
Drive, connection, cable, media, and PSU!

UDMA modes 3 and up use CRC error checking on DMA transfers- if the dats isn’t recieved properly by the drive, it’ll abort the whole thing, so I don’t STILL understand how cabling can make a bit of difference in the QUALITY of a burn. (Of course, y’all think defragmenting discs does too- so I guess there’s still a lot of belief in superstition when it comes to burns.)