'20 million users tricked into installing fake and malcious ad blockers'

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/20-million-users-tricked-into-installing-fake-and-malcious-ad-blockers-84141/

More than 20 million Chrome users have been tricked into installing fake and malicious ad blockers, according to adblock developer AdGuard. Fake adblockers are a recurring issue, at the end of the last year we reported that 37,000 users installed fake adblock software.

Really it takes them this long. Well at least my hosts edit does a better job then theirs and it’s free of charge or malware infections.

I use coolcolors’ hosts edit as well. Works like a charm.

Hi, coolcolors how do you create a host? Thanks

Mr.Bill

There is already one created…

Somehow, the idea that there might be a ton of fake ad blockers never occurred to me. I guess I’ve been using uBlock for so long, I never even considered the idea that there might be fakes.

As for Google failing to keep fake/malicious “ad blockers” out of it’s store, I can’t say I’m surprised. I’ll bet Google would be happy to let it’s users get infected if it scared people into accepting malicious ads.

I already figured this would happen…that’s not rocket science to figure malicious software makers would go this route. This is the reason I use a host blocker to stop before they load.

I probably should have figured as well, but somehow I didn’t. Silly me, I guess.

Trust me it too me a long time to finally get the hosts edit right so I didn’t have to waste time and money on those adblockers that they themselves were already compromised to allow ads to get through. I was looking and trying for 2 years before stumbling on the hosts edit and that was like Night/Day when surfing the internet-when the internet wasn’t loaded will all these junkware ads. Those were the days when it was still a young internet and you go get from Point A to Point B without crap in-between your surfing.

Blockquote Those were the days when it was still a young internet and you go get from Point A to Point B without crap in-between your surfing.

Aw, yes, the days when browsing the internet without an ad blocker was *not* a PITA. Don’t we all miss those days?

Better get Firefox!

I didn’t have any formal instructions so I’ll have to get one made and posted so you can see how it was done or edit to fit your need.

OK. Thanks