2 writers hp 640c and pioneer dvr112d none detect rewritables

I have two optical drives as stated in the thread title and both burn discs fine but when I try to erase rewritable discs, cd or dvd, I get an error “the disc is not rewritable and therefore cannot be erased. Please insert a rewritable disc” I have tried using nero nti and windows and get the same problem with each. I have downloaded latest firmware and flashed. I know it is not the media because my laptop had no problem. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Don’t know what else to do. I am running windows xp pro sp2. I am not sure what else is relevant so please pardon me if all needed information is not here. Thank you for any attempt to help me.

Welcome to CDFreaks Forum, go to your motherboard bios and see if both drive are recognized as rewritable (DVD+RW) if not try to reactivate the IDE controller in bios then close the bios restart disconnect both drive from IDE Controller from Device Manager reboot and let the Windows reinstall the drives. I hope that would help.

Do you have Alcohol installed by any chance?

thanks will give it a try and yes to alcohol

Then Alcohol could be the problem. In Alcohol settings, go to Emulation, and make sure Ignore Media Type is unchecked.

alcohol was the problem. thank you so much. my frustration of weeks and many cdrs in the garbage is over.

no more alcohol but have the same problem again