2 window xp's at boot

I reinstalled windows xp, now when it boots there’s a 30 second time out where it gives me the option to load one of two windows xp systems. How do I get rid of the other one so it will just boot straight into windows?

Sounds like you have two partitions on 1 HD and installed 2 instances of WinXP. The easiest way is of course wipping the HD, partition and OS, then do a reinstall.

click start, settings, control panel, system,
advanced, startup and recovery.
then edit.

if your using xp home with one harddrive and partition it may look like this. edit out the duplicated line to look like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition” /fastdetect

please note that this has to exact to enable windows to boot correctly
if your not sure to do this read up on this on http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/591

also do not forget to copy this file boot.ini and run your system backup first.

there should be 2 lines - but they will not be duplicate. one will be the new partition, one the old, and there will be a # different between them. the new should have the same # as the default.

the easiest way to get rid of it is as stoner suggested - reinstall xp, and choose clean install. make sure you delete all existing partitions before you begin.

there are other options available, but if you havent done anything critical with your new xp setup, this is by far the most convenient.

Thanks for your replies I’ll be formatting and reinstalling probably in a couple days.