2 small holes in cd. Would like info

I have searched for information on this, but come up empty.
I have just purchased some software that has an interesting copy protection on it. I can’t seem to find any information on this type of protection.
The cd has 2 small holes on the underside of it. The top of the CD reads “Warning: This CD cannot be copied. ****** is not responsible for any damage resulting from attemps to copy this cd. The holes on the underside of the CD are there as part of the copy protection”
The questions I have are;
What are the holes for?
What damage could be caused?
Is there a way for me to make a personal back up of this cd?
Thanks in advance,
Jankster

Hi!

I have heard about this protection but don’t know any details.
I think you should scan the CD with Clony and then burn it with CloneCD
Good luck

F.P.

Interesting! What software is on the cd? Can you give us some more info? Where can I buy that cd?

Are the holes in the data part of the cd, or on the inside next to the center hole?

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried using CLonyXXX to see if there was any known copy protection, and it said there wasn’t. Its possible I’m not using the software correctly.
The software is called FM7 and its made by Native Instruments. It cost $130 at Guitar Center. A friend with another product of theirs PRO-52, said his also has these little holes.
The 2 little holes are about the size of the tip of a ball point pen and are in the data part of the cd.
If its a scare tactic, it worked since I won’t try and copy it in my new mac. The disc is multi format having Win and Mac data on it.
I heard a rumor that the damage that can be caused is that if the laser sees these wholes, it will try and rise up since it can’t focus and ruin your drive. That doesn’t sound true, but its what a friend said.
Another friend said a little piece of scotch tape over the holes will take care of everything, but Im not so sure, and don’t want to try that just yet.
Thanks ya’ll
Jankster

expensive software you use!!

holes in the data part. Never heard if it. I will do some search on the net.

Will inform you soon…if i find something that is

can not find anything accept they changed protections on the disk
and some talk about FM7 beeing protected with a kind of usb dongle

You know this protection scheme is really reminding me of an old school protection that companies used to do on the floppy disks. They punched a hole into the magnetic disk and when the drive was reading the disk, it would check to see if the hole was there. If it got a read-error(hole) at that location, it would continue. If not, then it would consider this to be a copy. Quite an easy protection and quite original for that time.

I also encountered this protection (some time ago) made a copy of it on the fly. No problems at all

You are right about the floppy with holes. That was the only protection that i could find using holes.
Nothing else to find on the net.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.
I also have been searching the net for info on this and found nothing. Im suprised.
Rasta, I may simply try to copy it with an older IDE drive and see if things are cool. Do you remeber what product this was or any other backround?
I still don’t understand this statement on the CD saying ****** is not responsible for any damage resulting from attemps to copy this cd. What damage? How might it damage? Damage my CD drive or the disc itself? Does a company like Native Instruments have the right to distribute something that may damage something of mine, but not tell me what it is, how, or why? It doesn’t seem right to me.
I still may call the company and ask what is up with their little scare tactic and have a good old telephone shouting match with them.

Originally posted by jankster
Thanks for all of the help everyone.
I also have been searching the net for info on this and found nothing. Im suprised.
Rasta, I may simply try to copy it with an older IDE drive and see if things are cool. Do you remeber what product this was or any other backround?
I still don’t understand this statement on the CD saying ****** is not responsible for any damage resulting from attemps to copy this cd. What damage? How might it damage? Damage my CD drive or the disc itself? Does a company like Native Instruments have the right to distribute something that may damage something of mine, but not tell me what it is, how, or why? It doesn’t seem right to me.
I still may call the company and ask what is up with their little scare tactic and have a good old telephone shouting match with them.

I think that the whole statement about the drive problems is a scare tactic. The only damge that can be caused is that your drive will lock up trying to read it. Btw, shouting at the company reps rarely gets you anywhere but a disconnected phoneline. Try excessive mailings instead.

Just try CloneCD on it! It will probably find the read error and duplicate it! Problem solved! You won’t have to be scared for damaging your drive, this is only to scare you from trying! :smiley:

It does sound like a scare tactic… But there was a protection on floppy discs that had spiral patterns on those patterns were hard to duplicate. This day and time if you were to backup the floppy disc’s, you could use a program called Winimage to back it up.

I have nt heard of the pin holes on the cd’s before.
But that is something some research needed on that though.

i would like to see a picture of the cd

upon trying to use clone cd, I think I’ve figured out the issue. I tried to copy to an image file. After 2 hours, it only got to 18 percent done. Maybe the damage issue is from overheating?

Did it go straight to 18% and then halted there for, what you talk about, 2 hours?!

But I also would like to see a shot of the disc! There probably is some sneaky solution… there always is eej! :smiley:

I just took some pretty good pics of the disc, top and bottom. Email me through my profile, and I’ll be able to email you the pictures.
I tried it again. Using Clone CD, I tried to Read to Image File with Fast Error Skip. The drive is TEAC-CD-W58E. The progress goes to 12% in 2 minutes. Then chokes at 13%. Error failed to read sectors begining at sector 21572. And then after 1 hour, it had only progressed to 17% and log file shows long list of failed to read sectors up to 28004.
On a G4 Mac with SuperDrive, basically same thing happened using Toast. Got started, and with in minutes, progress comes to a halt.

Maybe you should let CloneCD run for a day or so. It might get trough the area with the holes (where the errors come up) and create an image for you. In fact the orig cd also has got the errors on it cause the holes do not contain any info.

About the pics: maybe you could put them online somewhere and post the links here?

In order to prevent your drive from overheating you might want to lower the reading speed if you know the image is going to take all day… this overheating problem is something you might take into consideration.

I have heard stories where people have destroyed their drive with EAC trying to read a badly damaged cd because of the heat problem. Eac has a special option to prevent this, it can stop ripping after a specified interval and let the drive cool down…

BTW, this is not like a major problem, but you need to take it into consideration! Oc-freak reported once he backed up a protected cd for which it took 72 hours to read the image…

:slight_smile:

I was able to successfully create my backup copy. Using Clone CD, I set the read speed to manually 2x. It took 4 hours to write the image file. The majority of the time spent between 13% and 19%, and then things picked up again. Sectors ranging from 21000-32000 were problematic.
Thanks to all who helped on this post.
-Jankster