2-hour movie and it's 4+GB? Can't copy. Why?

vbimport

I have several movies on a hard drive. Some are avi and they copy great to a CD. Others (say a 2-hour movie) show they are 4+ GB but it doesn’t say they are DVDs. These large GB movies are in file folders and when I open the file folder, there are many files therein. They are VIDEO_TS and VTS_x_X_X files.

How can I copy them to either a DVD or CD?

Many thanks (as usual).

David

Presence of VIDEO_TS folder tells you they are dvd movies… :slight_smile:

How did you back them up in first place?

I got the HD with the computer from a close friend. How can I copy them to a DVD disc?

Thanks.

Oh yes, and what do I do with files that are more then 4.7GB?

You are only allowed to make a backup/copy of movies [B]you[/B] own. You just said this computer once was “your friends” and I’m not sure it’s legally for you to procede.

In case this movie files are your friends marriage camcoder films converted to dvd’s, Shrink might be the tool to use. :wink:
But all this you maybe already know.

I bought the computer so assume its contents are also mine (and the original disks). I tried shrink and it said it was going to take something like 46 hours. I’m trying CloneDVD now.

So to show my ignorance, does CloneDVD convert or just connect everything together?

Thanks.

Then just rip them from the original discs in ISO mode and then run DVDShrink over them.

Ah yes, the same applies to a person who buys a car full of cannabis i assume. You may think that way, the cops don’t. Guess who wins in the end?

So to show my ignorance, does CloneDVD convert or just connect everything together?
I have a better idea. In fact, i have two wonderful suggestions:

1: Don’t insult my intelligence by telling stories where the hell you got your illegal media from. I couldn’t care less if it came from a remote star system or your nephews tree-hut. The word illegal is important in the context. Talking about illegal media is not done here.

2: Use the search tool and get to know what the different media formats are.

Mr. Belvedere I agree with your approach. I too believe in self education first.
With 87 posts you would figure that you red a few things on this and other forums.

I don’t make an apology for my ignorance and it is my understanding that since I have the originals and backup on the HD, I can convert the HD copies to disk and then remove them from the HD, thus giving me the original and the fair-use backup.

As for research, I have often tried to do it and sometimes I find what I need but often can not understand what I find since I’m an not the most computer literate person around. This is why I come here asking for help. Who knows, maybe some day I will be able to help someone here and give back for the help I usually get.

Do you have the original dvd discs or not?

If yes : get rid of those stupid backups on that harddisk and make new backups with ripit4me, dvd decrypter and dvd shrink. Saves a lot of trouble and it’s free.

If no: get rid of those stupid backups on that harddisk, they’re not yours

I can convert the HD copies to disk and then remove them from the HD, thus giving me the original and the fair-use backup.

:confused: :eek: :doh:

Making a backup of a converted dvd while persumably having the original could work. I don’t know if fair use is supported in your country.

As for research, I have often tried to do it and sometimes I find what I need but often can not understand what I find since I’m an not the most computer literate person around.
Okay then.

OK, You plead your case.
Your .avi files are Mpeg4 and will fit on CD.
Other folders VIDEO_TS are DVD folders, you should be able to play those if you have any software player installed like Nero, Roxio, CyberLink, name a few. Do not use Window media player as that one works only sometime.
You can open your player, find Video_Ts folder from there and click OK it should start to play, if it is DVD file not corrupted.
If it play, than you can burn it onto DVD with any burning software.
I use Nero and in that case if you want the DVD to be named after the movie it contains, than do the following.
Create Folder with the name of your movie.
Open that folder and inside make new folder AUDIO_TS, import your VIDEO_TS in as a second folder. You will end up with two subfolders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS
Audio_ts folder will be empty. Video_ts folder will have all the VTS-x-xx files in.
Import your Movie folder into a burning software and burn DVD.

Ehrm, useful suggestions were given.

Why didn’t you try them?

Thanks to all, I will try them. I wanted to get the off the HD w/o having to do a second back up from the original. I also wanted to learn more and I have.

I tried to use DVDShrink and it loaded them for burning (4 hours) and then after 8+ hours on burn, I was at only 42% so I gave up and will go from my originals.

I am South of the U.S. border so Fair Use probably doesn’t apply here.

Thanks all.