2 HDrives, Raid Partition or in Windows setup?

Hi to all…Happy Holidays!!!:bigsmile:

Although this Post started out as a Hard Drive question,I did not want to double post in the HARDWARE FORUM,but if a moderator wouild like to move this, that would be great!

Ok, I did it. After all the info I received from folks on this website about what I needed for a newbuild (Never done it before)

Here it is…I have a few questions…(for now) I know someone might post back to tell me I’ve made the biggest mistake, but I am not an expert.

B[/B] Do I have to use the RAID on the two hard drives to set up my partitions to alllow about 40GB on the primary Hard drive,or is this done while in setup Windows O.S?

I was going to get the ABIT IP35 Pro,but got this…
MSI P35 Platinum Intel Chipset crossfire Raid MoBo (Onboard 7.1 Audio)

Two Hard drives:
1) 74GB Raptor for O.S. and Applications, and maybr partition that for a little storage (10,000K RPM)
2) 500GB WD Sata II (7200RPM) - For Video Files,MP3’s,PSD, Jpgs,and document Storage.
Intel Core2Duo Quad Q6600
700w Thermaltake ATX 12v 2.2 PSU
2GB DDR2 PC6400/800 Ram
EVGA eForce 8600GT 512MB DDR2 GPU
CoolerMaster 690 ATX,Mid tower case (supports 7 Fans)

B [/B]Another thing is the Quad…Is this alot of work trying to control the temperatures,or is this pretty straight forward Plug/play? (I’m thinking I should have got a DuoCore2 E6850 instead)

B[/B] Can I plug the case fans directly into the Power supply leads instead of the Mobo?

B[/B] Do I need to install e-sata or Pci-e drivers from somewhere in Bios, before any certain time during the rebuild?

(5) I have four 4 Dimm DDR2 Slots.I am going to use two @ 1GB each, Can they be consecutive like start in A1, A2, side by side,…Or do you go A1, B2 slot? The MSI Mobo booklet is not clear.

I have a version 2002 Serv. Pack II ((2004) Windows XP Home O.S. It does not say on the CD whether it is 32 or 64 Bit,if it is a 64Bit unsupported OS like microsoft said on it’s website, should I buy the new VISTA OS everyone is crying about it’s unstability issues? I’ve heard that the 64Bit is unstable, and will not do good on this new system.

I know I ask many questions…(Bla :eek: Bla:( Bla:o) I do apologize,but this 800.00 Budget just grew to 1150.00,and I don’t want things to go south for lack of experience.

Thanks to all!:cool:__________________________________________________

[QUOTE=bozoagain;1963861]Ok, I did it. After all the info I received from folks on this website about what I needed for a newbuild (Never done it before)

Here it is…I have a few questions…(for now) I know someone might post back to tell me I’ve made the biggest mistake, but I am not an expert.

B[/B] Do I have to use the RAID on the two hard drives to set up my partitions to alllow about 40GB on the primary Hard drive,or is this done while in setup Windows O.S?

I was going to get the ABIT IP35 Pro,but got this…
MSI P35 Platinum Intel Chipset crossfire Raid MoBo (Onboard 7.1 Audio)

Two Hard drives:
1) 74GB Raptor for O.S. and Applications, and maybr partition that for a little storage (10,000K RPM)
2) 500GB WD Sata II (7200RPM) - For Video Files,MP3’s,PSD, Jpgs,and document Storage.
Intel Core2Duo Quad Q6600
700w Thermaltake ATX 12v 2.2 PSU
2GB DDR2 PC6400/800 Ram
EVGA eForce 8600GT 512MB DDR2 GPU
CoolerMaster 690 ATX,Mid tower case (supports 7 Fans)

[/QUOTE]

You cannot setup RAID on two unequal-sized hard drives. RAID requires that all of your physical hard drives to be exactly the same size/capacity as one another. (This means that you can setup two 74GB hard drives or two 500GB hard drives in RAID, but you cannot setup a single 160GB hard drive together with a single 320GB hard drive in RAID without a severe loss of usable capacity.) In your case (you have only one 74GB hard drive and one 500GB hard drive), RAIDing the two together will result in the 500GB hard drive being reduced to only 74GB in size (remember, the smallest-capacity drive is the limiting factor here). My recommendation, then, is to just simply partition and format the two physical hard drives as separate volumes, each using the full capacity of the physical hard drives which each drive volume applies to. I would not recommend using a 40GB partition for the OS and programs since that would leave insufficient space to install many of the newer Windows apps (some of which can eat up more than 20GB); instead, I would format the 74GB Raptor as a single volume for the operating system and applications.

[QUOTE=bozoagain;1963861]B [/B]Another thing is the Quad…Is this alot of work trying to control the temperatures,or is this pretty straight forward Plug/play? (I’m thinking I should have got a DuoCore2 E6850 instead)[/QUOTE]

No comment.

[QUOTE=bozoagain;1963861]B[/B] Can I plug the case fans directly into the Power supply leads instead of the Mobo?[/QUOTE]

Most modern case fans have both types of connectors. You will need to use both of them – one to the motherboard (for motherboard-based fan speed monitoring), the other directly to a power supply connector (this is where the actual power for the fans are being fed through). If you connect only the power supply lead, you will not be able to monitor the case fan speeds, and the case fans will run at their default speeds (depending on the fan, the default case fan speed is either full speed which results in a lot of noise, or the slowest speed which results in insufficient cooling performance).

[QUOTE=bozoagain;1963861]B[/B] Do I need to install e-sata or Pci-e drivers from somewhere in Bios, before any certain time during the rebuild?[/QUOTE]

The software drivers are not installed in the BIOS. The BIOS is where you enable or disable certain features on your motherboard. The actual driver software installation is done either in Windows setup/installation (the AHCI driver, in the case of most SATA chipsets) or after Windows is up and running.

QUOTE=bozoagain;1963861 I have four 4 Dimm DDR2 Slots.I am going to use two @ 1GB each, Can they be consecutive like start in A1, A2, side by side,…Or do you go A1, B2 slot? The MSI Mobo booklet is not clear.[/QUOTE]

Install them in A1 (the green slot closest to the CPU socket) and B1 (the orange slot closest to the green slots) for dual-channel memory controller operation. MSI does not recommend leaving the A1 memory slot empty. And if you fill in both of the green slots while leaving the orange slots empty, the memory controller will default to single-channel-only operation.

[QUOTE=bozoagain;1963861]I have a version 2002 Serv. Pack II ((2004) Windows XP Home O.S. It does not say on the CD whether it is 32 or 64 Bit,if it is a 64Bit unsupported OS like microsoft said on it’s website, should I buy the new VISTA OS everyone is crying about it’s unstability issues? I’ve heard that the 64Bit is unstable, and will not do good on this new system.[/QUOTE]

Your copy of Windows XP is 32-bit.

Since when can’t you set two unequal drives for raid ??
Every time I tried it it worked, the only setback is that it will only use the same amount of Mb from the larger drives as the smallest drive in the raid. :slight_smile: