2 dvd burners won't burn, cd drive/dvd ram drive

A few months ago I noticed that my laptop dvd burner TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D wouldn’t burn anymore, it kept showing up as a cd drive. After searching and finally doing a reformat and it still not changing I assumed it had died.
I then bought a external burner
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N USB DEVICE and it worked fine the first couple times, then I went to use it a few days ago and it is doing the same as the first burner.

I have tried all sorts of different things, upper and lower filters, dma settings.
uninstalling all my burning programs, reinstalling them. I have and used nero successfully in the past.
I have installed the infotool and it gives me all the correct info.

what else can I try???:confused::confused::confused: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Karen

What laptop, make/model? What operating system? What brand of blank disks? What burning software? Can it play commercial CD’s and/or DVD’s.

thanks Whappo , here is more info you requested

acer aspire 9301awsmi laptop

windows xp pro

all sorts of different blank discs, memorex dv-r, tdk +rw, and some others I chucked thinking they were bad

I am using nero ultra 7

the internal TssTcorp will play cd but not dvd

the external LG will play both

Sorry, I don’t have too many ideas at the moment. I suppose you’ve tried using a different USB port. For your internal drive, have you tried going to Device Manager and uninstalling it and then do a reboot? You can try that for your USB controller as well. When you uninstall then reboot, windows will reload the drivers.

I’m having a similar problem with my system- two drives, one external via USB and one TSST H653B, and neither will burn CD’s or DVD’s. I’ve been searching for a solution online for two days without success, despite reading hundreds of posts with users with the exact same issue.

Unsuccessful attempts to fix problem:

1. Un/Reinstall drives
  2. Updated firmware for drives
  3. Un/Reinstall burning software (Nero and Ashampoo)
  4. Reset Nero BurnRights
  5. Checked “enable CD recording” under “Recording Tab” in drive properties window
  6. Scanned for malware/viruses with updated AVS, Spybot, and Super Anti-
  7. Oddity: Attempted system restore, but when I get to the last page before restoration starts, I click “next” and nothing happens. It doesn’t even freeze, The “next” button depresses, it just does nothing.
  8. Deleted the upper and Lower filters from the appropriate registry directory.
  9. Tried to copy disc in Safe Mode under admin account

The problem happened soon after installing some clunky HP printer/scanner software on my Dell 530 XP system. Drives are still working aside from inability to burn CD’s and DVD’s.

Hi and Welcome!

please try to burn a disc with ImgBurn and post the log here.

Michael

This came up right after installation, before attempting to burn:

I 10:47:43 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!
I 10:47:43 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 3)
I 10:47:43 Total Physical Memory: 3,134,568 KB - Available: 2,159,116 KB
I 10:47:43 Initialising SPTI…
I 10:47:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
E 10:47:46 CreateFile Failed! - Device: ‘\.\CdRom0’ (D:)
E 10:47:46 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.
W 10:47:46 Errors were encountered when trying to access a drive.
W 10:47:46 This drive will not be visible in the program.
W 10:47:46 No devices detected!

E 10:47:46 CreateFile Failed! - Device: ‘\.\CdRom0’ (D
E 10:47:46 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.

That’s some evil virus infection.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512587.aspx

Michael

Thanks for the speedy replies.

So, Michael, according to the link “flatten and rebuild” is my only good option? The article addresses a system hacked from lack of patches. As far as I know, my system’s security has always been kept up-to-date.

I will try to find the culprit with a few other anti-vir apps and report back. I’d hate to do a complete wipe of my system.

Welcome to the forum armchair boogie :slight_smile:

I agree with Michael - you may want to take a look at this thread by Lightning UK! - it offers some possible fixes if you really don’t want to format and do an OS reinstall.

Personally though, I’d go with a reinstall. I’m kinda fussy like that. :slight_smile:

Hi,[QUOTE=armchair boogie;2407828]Thanks for the speedy replies.

So, Michael, according to the link “flatten and rebuild” is my only good option? [/quote]If you want a system you can trust, then yes.

The article addresses a system hacked from lack of patches. As far as I know, my system’s security has always been kept up-to-date.
But it failed to prevent you from installing this rootkit. And rootkits are most evil.

The most powerful method to prevent unwanted installation of crapware is using a non-administrative account. More effective than any “security software” you can buy.

I will try to find the culprit with a few other anti-vir apps and report back. I’d hate to do a complete wipe of my system.
In the meantime, this rootkit could have downloaded more malicious payload. Perhaps something is already sitting in the background (hidden by the rootkit) trying to capture your banking account data or credit card information in order to transmit them to criminals sitting at the other end of the planet.
It’s your decision what to do, but keep in mind this article applies to your situation also.

And if you had a image backup of a clean installation, you’d have it restored within 30 minutes :wink:

Michael

For some strange reason, I’ve noticed several rootkit posts/threads in the last week or so. Must be an epidemic :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2407986]For some strange reason, I’ve noticed several rootkit posts/threads in the last week or so.[/quote]:iagree: That’s why I ask for a ImgBurn log :wink:

Must be an epidemic :stuck_out_tongue:
Perhaps the Windows version of Swine Flu :bigsmile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2407990]Perhaps the Windows version of Swine Flu :bigsmile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

LOL! I thought the same right after I posted that :bigsmile:

It is weird though, that it’s all of a sudden. Oh well, at least I’ve learned something about identifying the blasted things over the last week. :iagree:

I’m over my initial state of denial and preparing for wipe and reinstall.
I can’t thank you guys enough for the quick and knowledgeable replies. :bow::bow::bow:

A wise choice IMO, the OS reinstall. You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Wiped, reinstalled and I’m up and running again. Surprisingly (to me anyway) my internet connection is much faster than it’s been for the last few weeks in addition to being able to burn CD’s and DVD’s.

Glad everything’s up and running again and the wipe/reinstall appeared to go smoothly :clap:

Not sure what effect, if any, a rootkit may have had on your net connection - but then I’m lucky enough to have never been infected with one. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=armchair boogie;2408908]Wiped, reinstalled and I’m up and running again. Surprisingly (to me anyway) my internet connection is much faster than it’s been for the last few weeks in addition to being able to burn CD’s and DVD’s.[/QUOTE]Nice. Please follow my advice and use a restricted account for normal work, surfing etc.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2408909]Not sure what effect, if any, a rootkit may have had on your net connection - but then I’m lucky enough to have never been infected with one. :)[/QUOTE]I guess, there were also a couple of spambots running. Rootkits can make such crap invisible.

Michael