I'm having a similar problem with my system- two drives, one external via USB and one TSST H653B, and neither will burn CD's or DVD's. I've been searching for a solution online for two days without success, despite reading hundreds of posts with users with the exact same issue.
Unsuccessful attempts to fix problem:
1. Un/Reinstall drives
2. Updated firmware for drives
3. Un/Reinstall burning software (Nero and Ashampoo)
4. Reset Nero BurnRights
5. Checked "enable CD recording" under "Recording Tab" in drive properties window
6. Scanned for malware/viruses with updated AVS, Spybot, and Super Anti-
7. Oddity: Attempted system restore, but when I get to the last page before restoration starts, I click "next" and nothing happens. It doesn't even freeze, The "next" button depresses, it just does nothing.
8. Deleted the upper and Lower filters from the appropriate registry directory.
9. Tried to copy disc in Safe Mode under admin account
The problem happened soon after installing some clunky HP printer/scanner software on my Dell 530 XP system. Drives are still working aside from inability to burn CD's and DVD's.