2 Different media codes on the same spindle

vbimport

I recently purchased a spindle of 25 DVD+R 8x discs with an HP label. When I checked the media code originally with Nero Infotool, it told me the disc was a Philips C08. Today I installed DVD Identifier and checked a disc from the same spindle and DVD Identifier told me it was a CMC Magnetics E01! Once I picked myself up off the floor, I went back to the original disc and checked it with DVD Identifier and got the Philips C08 ID again. I don’t intend to check all 25 discs, but I was quite surprised to find two different makes of disc on the same spindle. Just goes to show that you can never be sure what you’re getting even from a supposedly reliable source like Hewlett Packard Invent (HP).

P.S. The DVD Identifier results are:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:PHILIPS-C08-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Philips]
Manufacturer ID : [PHILIPS]
Media Type ID : [C08]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-E01-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [E01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

no offense, but this “reliable source like Hewlett Packard Invent (HP)” is a funny joke…

Possibly the CMC and Phillips discs are both made in the CMC factory, HP is just buying all the leftovers. CMC has been known to dump media in this way. If they both burn well enough for you, don’t worry about it.

I thought Phillips was supposed to be controlling CMC’s quality standards now. Anyways, I have to agree about that comment about HP being quality. IMHO the only thing they make decent are printers. Beyond that anything else of theirs is overpriced crap.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

In my experience, HP branded CMC media has been good quality stuff.
It’s possible that this could have changed of course…

Although the nominal specs for these two discs are the same, the speed ratings specified in my EPROM (PFS1 in my Dell-branded SONY SOSW-852S) are not. The Philips is rated at 4x and the CMC at 6x. As for HP, I did say “supposedly reliable”!