2 Dead Drives hoping for miracle

vbimport

Hello all,
I have 2 dead dvd-rw drives and I am hoping I can at least salvage one of them. Both have the dreaded blinking green drive light and are inop. The first is a DV-W516GA Teac which I was able to flash but it does not show any data when you put a disc in it??? The second one is a Toshiba SD-R5372 which was working fine until I added memory to my machine and then when I rebooted the drive suddenly had the dreaded blinking green drive light. This one is not even recognized in the bios so I cannot even use a DOS flasher to revive it. I am totally at a loss as to why it just suddenly died??? Is there anyway to revive either of these drives??? I have read till my eyes are ready to fall out on all of the forums and I am hoping one of the gurus here can point me in the direction of a fix for one or both of these drives. They were both free so if I cannot get them working it isn’t the worst thing in the world but I would love to be able to use them if possible. Thanks for the help if there is any, I enjoy reading the posts and info here it is very useful and helpful and if anybody can get these things working again I think you guy’s can.

Bump

You might have done some damage when you added memory. Maybe you knocked a cable loose. If you unplugged the ribbon cable from the motherboard you might have damaged the motherboard. You might have bent a pin when plugging or unplugging.

Thanks for the reply but I can assure you none of the mentioned possibilities occured. I am an IT Professional and replace memory, hardware, etc. everyday and never have I had something like this occur. The stupid drive worked fine and then with nothing but a memory upgrade the drive died. Is there a way to reflash it using mtkflash and what are the commands? I have been having some trouble getting mtkflash to work properly. Can’t run the Toshiba firmware flasher as the drive is not recognized by the OS nor the bios. Any hints tips, tricks tweaks anything would be greatly appreciated.

Built the drive in another computer first, why flash?

…I am an IT Professional and replace memory, hardware, etc. everyday and never have I had something like this occur. The stupid drive worked fine and then with nothing but a memory upgrade the drive died. Is there a way to reflash it using mtkflash and what are the commands? I have been having some trouble getting mtkflash to work properly…
Please post us your hardware specs (detailed) and what OS/software you’r on. :slight_smile:

For peace of mind the best would be you forget your almost 2y old crap rebadged SOHW-1933S (aka Teac DV-W516G) and buy a new drive. :wink:
But if you still wanna mess with it, make a search for MTKFlash guide at dhc014’s site.
[I]You better forget miracle though. [/I]

BTW, toshiba has nothing to do in Lite-On/Sony forum section. Sorry.

Thanks Pinto for the pickmeup… :slight_smile: I have tried everything possible with the DV-W516GA and still no dice. I remember a while ago I was able to get it back to where it would read discs fine but would not burn them. But now it just sits there and does nothing, I was able to flash it through Windows and get the flashing drive light to stop and the drive to open but that is where it stands. I would love to get an original firmware for the drive and see if I could get it back to square one. What do mean crap drive??? It did work at one time and burned fine, I am no expert with DVD/CDRW burning and I am happy to just be able to burn. I don’t need all the hopped up modifications and speed just would be happy if the thing would just burn again. I have tried several versions of MTKFlash and none of them seem to work and I just get the port 170 or something sitting there and nothing happens. It is flashable through the OS though??? I would think this thing is repairable just not as expert as the rest of you in this area. The Toshiba is another ball of wax though. I didn’t mess with it at all and it just died. Is this drive a Mediatek drive i.e. chipset, if so then MTKFlash should work…Right? I have not tried to flash this drive yet to see if I can revive it but might try tonight. Thanks again for the help if I get a moment I will copy the system details/specs if that is of any help but I think that maybe that is not the road I need to go down. By the way I did purchase a new Sony DVD/RW so I have a burner that works now. I will not mess with this drive as it has SS20 firmware in it and seems to work just fine.

O.K have you tried renewing your ASPI layer or the Microsoft Hotfix? Here is a link to the Microsoft KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883523/en-us and don’t be fooled it applies to DVD writers as well.It actually stopped all my issues.You can also try “GET BACK YOUR CD/DVD” XP Reg Tweak at http://www.mdgx.com/ Go to the XP Tweaks section and look for the aforementioned fix and Reg hack.Axcel is usually pretty good.

here is the original firmware and EEPROM for the TEAC DV-W516GA, (C4S2) which I’ve downloaded from my drive. You also find the newest (C4S6) on TEAC’s site.
(you have to rename the files to .rar)

TEAC DV-W516GA Firm&EEPROM stuff, SAVES.part1.rar.pdf (146 KB)

TEAC DV-W516GA Firm&EEPROM stuff, SAVES.part2.rar.pdf (112 KB)