2.4x DL media rant

WTF? 2.4x dual layer media was finally down to the ~$1.00 range, and now manufacturers are universally phasing it out in favor of 6x-8x media, and thusly pushing the prices back to the ~$3.00 range.

Sure 2.4x media takes ~40 minutes to burn, but not even giving us the option for cheaper slower media is BS.

Verbatim needs to pull their heads out of their ___.

/Rant

[QUOTE=heyman421;1923442]WTF? 2.4x dual layer media was finally down to the ~$1.00 range, and now manufacturers are universally phasing it out…[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear or read this?

Verbatim will continue making both MKM 001 and MKM 003. The only thing that is changing is that MKM 001 is being outsourced to Moser Baer in India.

RITEK D01 is being phased out of use by some brands like Memorex, as they’ve upgraded to RICOHJPN D01, but I haven’t heard of CMC MAG D01 or RICOHJPN D00 completely falling by the wayside.

Frankly, I see sales on the 15-pack of Memorex 8x DL media at Office Depot all the time, and it’s usually only about $20 ($1.33 per disk), so I’m not seeing a price increase.

The cheapest I have ever seen DL media here in Australia is $55 per 20 pack. Guess what, it’s 8x.

[QUOTE=negritude;1923460]Where did you hear or read this?

Verbatim will continue making both MKM 001 and MKM 003. The only thing that is changing is that MKM 001 is being outsourced to Moser Baer in India.

RITEK D01 is being phased out of use by some brands like Memorex, as they’ve upgraded to RICOHJPN D01, but I haven’t heard of CMC MAG D01 or RICOHJPN D00 completely falling by the wayside.

Frankly, [B]I see sales on the 15-pack of Memorex 8x DL media at Office Depot all the time, and it’s usually only about $20 ($1.33 per disk)[/B], so I’m not seeing a price increase.[/QUOTE]

does 8x cert media usually burn crappy @ 4x in general? cause at that price if they media is pretty reliable i would consider getting it but my burners max speed for DL media is 4x anyways. thats why i asked.

[QUOTE=NBR;1924464]does 8x cert media usually burn crappy @ 4x in general? cause at that price if they media is pretty reliable i would consider getting it but my burners max speed for DL media is 4x anyways. thats why i asked.[/QUOTE]

Before you think about buying any 8x DL media…I believe you have an older LiteOn from the other DL thread, so I’d suggest opening up the firmware you’re currently using with OmniPatcher (I haven’t kept up with Litey utils, but there may be a newer program), and check if there’s support for any 8x DL mediacodes in there. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1924487]Before you think about buying any 8x DL media…I believe you have an older LiteOn from the other DL thread, so I’d suggest opening up the firmware you’re currently using with OmniPatcher (I haven’t kept up with Litey utils, but there may be a newer program), and check if there’s support for any 8x DL mediacodes in there. ;)[/QUOTE]

hell good point :wink: … i should have thought about that cause i used that a while back to modify the fw a bit with read speeds etc.

thanks for the info.

If 2.4X DL prices are falling, that is probably because the retailers are clearing the discs out for replacement by 8X DL discs. 8X discs should be less expensive because by using the inverse stack process the yields and the quality increases and the total costs decrease. The problem is that these media will not work well in older DL drives–if they work at all. That means purchasing a new drive if the supply of 2.4X DL dries up.

@ arachne … i checked the media codes for my drive and it has 12 total … it does seem to have the MKM 003 which is the 8x stuff right?

here is a screenshot of what my drive supports.

so it appears my drive does support the 8x stuff… but the issue is… does it burn them well at 4x? (if anyone knows) … cause my drive burns the 2.4x cert MKM 001 pretty good at 4x speeds (actually burns better @ 4x vs 2.4x according to the disc quality scans)

cause i aint sure but i might have heard issues in general burning those 8x cert discs at less than 6x speeds. but i could be wrong but i thought i might have read something about that a while back on these forums.

4x should actually be a happy medium IMO. Much like burning 16x media @ 8x. That would be my first logical choice if I had any 8x media to burn.

@ cd pirate … ok sounds good :wink: cause i burn my 16x media @ 8x and generally have great results.

even though i guess i aint worried to much since i dont burn dl media often. i only burn it for xbox360 backups and i still have about 15ish left out of the 20 i bought from newegg a while back (Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x cert MIS)

but it’s nice to know that if i have to i should be able to do the 8x stuff @ 4x :wink:

[QUOTE=NBR;1924837]@ cd pirate … ok sounds good :wink: cause i burn my 16x media @ 8x and generally have great results.

even though i guess i aint worried to much since i dont burn dl media often. i only burn it for xbox360 backups and i still have about 15ish left out of the 20 i bought from newegg a while back (Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x cert MIS)

but it’s nice to know that if i have to i should be able to do the 8x stuff @ 4x ;)[/QUOTE]

CD Pirate took the words out of my mouth, but it’s good to see MKM 003 are supported :clap: