2.4 kernel 2.4x DVD burnrate workaround?

vbimport

Is there a way to increase the possible burn bandwidth without moving to a 2.6 kernel? Legacy software on two older systems (SUSE8.2 and SUSE9.0) keep me from upgrading. Thanks,
Dow

PS. Excellent support for the LaCie external firewire DVD_RW ND-3520A. I have used Philips DVD-R 8x and Verbatim DVD+R 4x media successfully but have not tried dual layer yet. The unknown firewire card listed below is a “For Best Ports Connection” no name card with a bar code on the side “SD-NEC-4F” just in case anyone is interested. :wink:

lspci output
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP]
00:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation: Unknown device 00f2 (rev 01)

Hi,

i have the same Problem, i can’t switch to kernerl version 2.6, because abaut 50 worksations in my company are working with 2.4.
So i need a workaround, or better a version of nero, that works with 2.4 withaut workaround :wink:

Phonaut

As i tell on http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=131121&page=1 you can have good write transfer with 2.4 kernel setting the drive with hdparm -X ( it will have some errors when you set it ) but works ok on my test.

For example:
enable UDMA for sda drive:
hdparm -d1 /dev/sda

If you have problems after enabling dma you can force the drive to work on a dma mode, for example:
you want to set the drive transfer to udma66 ( take care to set only to a speed that your chipset and burner supports ) you have to type as root:

hdparm -d1 -X68 /dev/sda

How do you make this configuration permanent in Red hat 9?, the user manual says that if you do it throught the command line the setting is not permanent.

Try putting the hdparm command that you use on /etc/rc.d/rc.local