1x 'rip'?

I have one really scratched audio-CD that refuses to rip with CDex. It plays fine when I play it on my Cd-ROm though. Anyway, I have a CMI 8738 soundcard with optical in and out. So, I looped an optical cable between the two ports and played the CD. Then I recorded the resultant data stream from the optical out back onto the optical in on the card.

I was wondering if this will make a perfect copy, the same as ripping, or will some quality be lost because of the sound card or something? The .wav file I recorded does sound pretty good. The software used in the recording was Audio-Rack which comes with the card.

you can try EAC in the secure mode on a low speed

Almost forgot, I am running WinXP Pro, and the CD-ROM (LTD-166S DVD really) is set to digital playback - the analogue audio cable isn’t even connected.

Originally posted by damiandimitri
you can try EAC in the secure mode on a low speed

I might, but I could have a virtually perfect copy anyway. Eac on low speed could take hours couldn’t it? CDex with full paranoia was taking hrs and hrs and not getting anywhere.

One question.
Do you want quality rip, or just a speedy one.?
In the last case, use audiograbber at burst mode and vooooooom

@Robotnik555

Try to read out your disc in burst mode several times.
Then compare the wave files with the DOS-tool FC.EXE.
Maybe slower read-speeds will help, but this is not always the case.
By example my UltraPlex reads best @ 32x, not 4x.

EAC can compare your ripped wavs also

so try different speeds and compare them

Which are all answers he didn’t want.

The basic question was : is recording via optical in -> wav better , worse or equal quality than a digital rip.

whoops /// edit //

IMHO (there is no other , since i have not tested it). It’s NOT the same quality. You use the analog output of your cdrom player.

If , however you use the DIGITAL output of your cdrom player , connected to your soundcard AND the soundcard doesn’t do any A/D or D/A conversions then it’s the same quality.

Given of course you DID record it with an “uncompressed WAV 44.1000kHz & stereo” setting :slight_smile:

But if there is only one single A/D or D/A conversion in the entire process … there will be quality loss. You might not hear it … but there will be.