1Tb Seagate HDD problem

Hi all!

I got a new seagate 1Tb HDD. I did put it in my PC as a second HDD next to my WD 350 Gb. My problem is in windows it is not showing. When I boot up the PC and I go in to BIOS then it is says that there is a secondary HDD and it shows me all the info about it (name, size… etc.). In windows when I check in the device manager I can see it in there. When I click on the properties then it says that this device is working properly. And here is the problem: in my computer it is shows me only the old WD drive (C: ) and I can not find the new one. I have Total Commander on my PC and it did not show it either. For some reason windows did not give a volume letter to my HDD.
I’m using Windows Vista Home Premium. My PS is 650W. 4Gb ram.

Thank you

Partition and format the drive. I don’t have access to Vista right now, but somewhere in Administrative Tools/Storage you should be able to find what you need.

Okay in Vista go to Control panel, click System and Maintenance, go down to Administrative Tools,
then click on Create and format hard disk partitions and you should see your new drive in there if
it is then you will need to create a partition and format it. :iagree:

And while you’re at it - if it is a Barracuda 7200.11 disc, head off to Seagates website and check that you have the latest firmware even if you have had no further problems. They’ve had some… interesting issues. :eek:

With all of the problems I’ve been hearing about Seagate hard drives, I would recommend to stay as far away from them as possible. That’s a lot of information that is not even secure.

[quote=Spammer DVDPRINTING;2215883]With all of the problems I’ve seen with hard spamming users like me, I would recommend to stay as far away from them as possible.[/quote]:iagree:
… und Tschüss.

[QUOTE=DVDPRINTING;2215883]With all of the problems I’ve been hearing about Seagate hard drives, I would recommend to stay as far away from them as possible. That’s a lot of information that is not even secure.[/QUOTE]

I’m running a Seagate 7200.11 1TB hdd and have had no problems with it what-so-ever, now however the Seagate 1.5TB
hdd’s did have some major FW problems when they were first released. I do believe they have got most or all of the bugs
worked out on the newest FW for the 1.5TB Seagate’s. I just wonder how well the Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB hdd’s
will do and if they will fair better than the 1.5 Seagate’s did on initial release without FW issues. :confused:

[QUOTE=getit29;2216055]I’m running a Seagate 7200.11 1TB hdd and have had no problems with it what-so-ever, now however the Seagate 1.5TB
hdd’s did have some major FW problems when they were first released. I do believe they have got most or all of the bugs
worked out on the newest FW for the 1.5TB Seagate’s. I just wonder how well the Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB hdd’s
will do and if they will fair better than the 1.5 Seagate’s did on initial release without FW issues. :confused:[/QUOTE]

From reading all the revies on Newegg on the seagate 1TB wasn’t very good compared to the WD 1TB. I think WD will do better then to fall into the Seagate debacle with their 2TB. I am looking forward to if price is right to get a 2TB but if I can’t I go with WD 1TB drive first.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2216142]From reading all the revies on Newegg on the seagate 1TB wasn’t very good compared to the WD 1TB. I think WD will do better then to fall into the Seagate debacle with their 2TB. I am looking forward to if price is right to get a 2TB but if I can’t I go with WD 1TB drive first.[/QUOTE]

Yep I guess all hdd’s have some problems no matter what the brand I guess that I was one of the lucky ones that received a good one from Seagate
(keeping my fingers crossed) that it doesn’t act up any time soon. :bigsmile: I’m also running a WD 500GB Black Edition and I have to say this is the very first
WD drive that I’ve ever bought for my own personal use and so far I love it. I’m also running a 300GB Maxtor and a Seagate 250GB which I soon hope
to be able to replace with one of those 2TB WD hdds after they have been out a little longer and the price drops some more and if the reviews show how
good or bad they do in every day use. :iagree:

All manufacturers end up with bad series. A few examples:

IBM Deskstar AKA Deathstar is infamous - SCSI disks from them around the same time also failed very quickly - before this IBM had a great reputation for quality disks. They sold their disk division to Hitachi global storage after this ending a long chapter in computer history - the hard disk was invented by IBM in 1956. Interestingly, disks IBM bought from a third party (CMI) for the mid-80s AT did major damage to the company - a huge number of them failed either due to design flaws in the discs or bugs in MS-DOS.

Western Digital had a terrible reputation for poor disks back in the late 80s/early 90s

Maxtor, which later got bought by Seagate, had a terrible reputation for unreliable disks (I’ve had a few bad ones myself) Seagate have had major firmware issues on the 7200.11 series and bad firmware on some 7200.10 models as well and in 1995/1996 the company I worked for had huge problems with failing Seagate SCSI discs.

Samsung is the ONLY current manufacturer of 3.5" disks that haven’t (to my knowledge) had an unreliable series - and I expect that is only because they haven’t been a major player for long enough to have had a large number of different disks types. (That said, they did have a problem with buggy diagnostics software that erroneously marked disks as bad, even though they where not)

While it is a good idea to avoid disk families that are known to be bad, and keep an eye on firmware issues on any disks that you have, disk makers end up with a long term bad reputation for ALL their products whenever they’ve had a bad family, even if the problem has been resolved. While I’m sure they put tremendous effort into ensuring new models will work correctly, it is impossible to anticipate all problems, and accelerated aging won’t reveal all problems and then there is of course the rush to get the disks to market as soon as possible!