1TB HDDs under $200

vbimport

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve been looking at $200 as my price point for terabyte internal hard drives. Well, this week the Seagate 7200.11 is $189.99 at Best Buy and $199 at Fry’s. I’m trying to resist the urge to pick up two and get rid of all four of my old drives. Is this a steal, or are we going to see them for $175 in short order?

you are planning to pick up 2??? 2 TB total?? It is a good price. And if you want 500gb 7200.11, Newegg has it for $109. I would get the 500gb 7200.11 for running OS and programs and get 1TB as strictly as a storage drive. But I am a raid person, so more likely I will get 2 of the 500gb 7200.11 for Raid config to run OS and programs and 1tb drive for storaging

it’s possible. maybe within 2 months. recently i’ve seen seagate 750 gigs for 139.99

[QUOTE=ghetocowboy;2033804]you are planning to pick up 2??? 2 TB total?? It is a good price. And if you want 500gb 7200.11, Newegg has it for $109. I would get the 500gb 7200.11 for running OS and programs and get 1TB as strictly as a storage drive. But I am a raid person, so more likely I will get 2 of the 500gb 7200.11 for Raid config to run OS and programs and 1tb drive for storaging[/QUOTE]

If I jump on this deal, I’ll also get a 74GB Raptor for the OS and programs. I always keep my OS install clear of anything else in case a reformat is necessary. But the whole point of it is, my rig runs hot with four drives (two in heatsinks) and my burner … best to let some air circulate.

Of course, by the time 1TB drives come down, they’ll have 1.5TB drives that would let me buy just one to fill my storage needs (may as well burn some off onto my 1000+ +Rs).

RAID (0) still scares the hell out of me, since a dead hard drive means two drives’ worth of lost data.

Micro Center also has an instore deal for the 1TB WD Green drive for $180.

http://cps7.00b.net/498/content_load/635/0407.viewonline.html

oh yeah!. most tempted to get a 1TB external drive. on top of what i already have. then i can pass one or two of these smaller HDDs to my son. and put on in the stand alone AVI player. lord knows i need more room for movie. ugh…hehe.

ok guys, let’s get another $19 off with this coupon

this is for single item only, so beware

wow with that coupon the total with tax is $179.37(NY tax included) but outpost . com has the Seagate 750GB drive for only $139.99 dunno if $40 extra for 250GB more storage is enticing enough for me, since I already have a 300GB drive that I’m looking to upgrade from anyway, should I go fro the 1TB or the 750 one?

Go for the 1TB with 32mb of cache!

[QUOTE=dreamliner77;2034879]Go for the 1TB with 32mb of cache![/QUOTE]

what’s the main advantage of having a higher cache in a hard drive? what does it do? thanks

http://www.vtec.co.uk/hard_disk_cache.asp

This is so tempting . . . get one or two of these 1 TB drives and a NAS ready enclosure and you’d be set. :smiley:

Wish my Maxtor ext. 1TB still worked it crashed a few days ago with all my info on it. So I just bought 3 G-Tek ext. 1TB Raid 0 triple interface HD. To recover the info on the Maxtor I’m looking at $8k. GULP- it was a short film. Thankfully I still have the rough cut- and will need to do a lot of work on it- the final was on the Maxtor. Boo hiss. Good luck with your purchase

[QUOTE=cedrich999;2035813]Wish my Maxtor ext. 1TB still worked it crashed a few days ago with all my info on it. So I just bought 3 G-Tek ext. 1TB Raid 0 triple interface HD. To recover the info on the Maxtor I’m looking at $8k. GULP- it was a short film. Thankfully I still have the rough cut- and will need to do a lot of work on it- the final was on the Maxtor. Boo hiss. Good luck with your purchase[/QUOTE]

With that much to lose, you may want to invest $90 and give Spinrite (www.grc.com) a try. I understand that it has accomplished some amazing feats of recovery from all but destroyed drives (albeit that it can take a serious long time to accomplish it).

Good luck.

I may be changing my plan, since NewEgg has the 7200.11 for $129.99 with free 3-day shipping. Heaven forbid I just start burning once the 1.5TB is full (1.5TB over two drives=far less heat). :wink: Now if only today were payday …

I wouldn’t go waiting for prices to drop because they will. Thats just the way technology goes. They will keep getting bigger and cheaper, and if you wait, you will wait forever. I would just buy what you need now plus some extra space for the near future. If price is a concern, spend a couple of weeks looking/waiting for deals (not waiting for prices to drop, just waiting for someone to have a good sale). Frys had 500 gig seagates a couple of weeks ago for 90$ (pata or sata if I recall right). I 110% price matched at circuit city and got one for about 82$ (so about 164$ per TB). Watch frys ads over the next couple of weeks (often good online too) as they often run very good hard drive deals.

@justcallmebob, know of any cheap decent NAS enclosures? I have been looking for something like that but it seems anything good cost a fortune?

Just another thought for anyone looking for an external. You might want to keep an eye on office depot’s ads. they had a seagate 500GB free agent external last week for 100$ and will have a 750GB one for 150$ next week.

I’m not sure about the rest of you… but this IMHO is a better option. Use smallest / fastest hard drive your budget will allow for your system. That will hold your o/s, program files, and documents, and pictures. For media files, I recommend an external hard drive. Video and files needed to be backed up can sit on an external drive and not bog the system down. This is what I do. Of course there is a 20% premium for this option, but here’s the kicker… when to buy: right around holiday time… (think black friday, christmas). Last year wasn’t so great for hard drives… but I suspect they want to eliminate some low hanging fruit from the inventories at the end of the year, so we will see some good deals. We’re also on the precipice of drives with native capacities of 1.5-2.0TBs real soon (2009ish, if not sooner). Of course if your drive dies & your out of warranty, you have little choice, but if your just dealing with storage issues… back up files more often until you can ‘spread out’.

Provided all hell doesn’t break loose on gas prices, if that’s the case… look for one of the electronics stores’ going out of business sale- as plan-b.

Here’s a LaCie 750GB external drive for $127 shipped. I just got a 500GB drive for $62 thanks to a $25 off $75 coupon that Buy.com/Google checkout were running.

Costco always has those WD 1TB drives on sale for like 229.99, the great thing about costco is that if it goes on sale, take your receipt in and you get your money back.
I bought a 500gb drive for like $199 when they first came out. When they started selling the 1Tb drives they were 249.99. I bought the 1TB and transferred the data, then returned the 500gig. So I paid $50 for an extra 500gbs. I know it’s not right to do it, but me and my gf have worked for Costco. It’s store policy and I’ll take advantage of it.

Note: DO NOT get the world edition, that crap is horrible. I’ve read and heard nothing but bad things about them. Stick with the home edition.