1st time dvd burner

vbimport

hello all and excuse me for my ignorance but…

i’ve had my pc with a dvd burner for about 2 years now and i’ve never found a reason to burn dvd lol. until now.

i just recently bought a new car and it comes with in-dash navigation system and dvd player. what i want to do is basically make a dvd with music videos. i have all the videos that i’ve downloaded from the web (in mpeg4 format). so far i know i have to convert them into another format which im not sure of. and then i have to burn it.

so far i’ve downloaded about 5-6 different software like nero 9, convertxtodvd, dvddecrypter, imgburn, and total video2dvd. i noticed that some of these leave a watermark? (im guessing its some kind of logo that shows up on the screen while watching the dvd???)

any suggestions on which one would work for the project im doing? preferably a free one lol. and do these convert the files to be viewable on dvd players.

sorry to make it long and thank you for the help.

[QUOTE=itsjustlenny;2146749]
i just recently bought a new car and it comes with in-dash navigation system and dvd player. what i want to do is basically make a dvd with music videos. i have all the videos that i’ve downloaded from the web (in mpeg4 format).
[/QUOTE]I’m new here but I’ll give it a shot anyhow.

A DVD uses MPEG2 compression.

You need to convert your mpeg4/xvid/264/divx/whatever files to a video DVD compliant MPEG2 file and burn the results.

I’ve done this exact thing so hopefully I can help.

Use ConvertXtoDVD to convert your MPEG4 files to MPEG2 VOBs. This is actually going backward and the resulting file will be much bigger than your original MPEG4 source files.

Once you have converted from MPEG4 to MPEG2 you burn the results to a DVD. I have always used NERO for burning on a Windows box. Other burners will work but I’m most comfortable with Nero.

You must use a DVD blank that is compatible with your DVD player. I’ve had good luck with DVD+Rs but some players will only see DVD-Rs. One guy at work has a laptop that will not play +Rs so I’ve got some -Rs just for his laptop. If your player will work with +Rs use them as they are better than -Rs for some technical reasons (don’t get me started on the “wobble”).

If Itsjustlenny has downloaded the trial version of ConvertXtoDVD, its going to leave a watermark.

I suggest using one of two tools to convert your mpeg4 files to dvd format. FAVC or DVDFlick will do this conversion and take you all the way to a finished dvd ready to burn to disk. You can also make menus to select individual titles.

FAVC can use a very high quality mpeg2 encoder called HCenc. Make sure to install Net 2.0 and Avisynth before trying to use FAVC. There are links to both of those at the FAVC site, and everything mentioned here is free to use. http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

DVDFlick is another complete conversion program, and can be found here: http://www.dvdflick.net/

FAVC can be configured to burn automatically to a disk using Imgburn, a fine burning program available for free. I personally don’t use Nero for anything anymore, and have gone to ImgBurn for everything that needs to be burned to disk. www.imgburn.com
If you are interested in this program, go to the Imgburn forums and look through their guides to using it. http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

[quote=Kerry56;2146822]If Itsjustlenny has downloaded the trial version of ConvertXtoDVD, its going to leave a watermark.

I suggest using one of two tools to convert your mpeg4 files to dvd format. FAVC or DVDFlick will do this conversion and take you all the way to a finished dvd ready to burn to disk. You can also make menus to select individual titles.

FAVC can use a very high quality mpeg2 encoder called HCenc. Make sure to install Net 2.0 and Avisynth before trying to use FAVC. There are links to both of those at the FAVC site, and everything mentioned here is free to use. http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

DVDFlick is another complete conversion program, and can be found here: http://www.dvdflick.net/

FAVC can be configured to burn automatically to a disk using Imgburn, a fine burning program available for free. I personally don’t use Nero for anything anymore, and have gone to ImgBurn for everything that needs to be burned to disk. www.imgburn.com
If you are interested in this program, go to the Imgburn forums and look through their guides to using it. http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4[/quote]
Great post Kerry56, even though I use ConvertXtoDVD3 to do this, your method will work just fine.

so will dvd flick convert and burn the files?

so far i’ve tried converting with super converter and burning with nero 9 and i get this error:

12:11:22 PM #1 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 450
LockMCN - completed sucessfully for IOCTL_STORAGE_MCN_CONTROL

12:11:22 PM #2 DVDREALLOC -21 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 1042
Required file ‘VIDEO_TS.IFO’ is not present

12:11:22 PM #3 DVDREALLOC -21 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 1042
Required file ‘VIDEO_TS.BUP’ is not present

12:11:22 PM #4 DVDREALLOC -21 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 1236
Required file ‘VTS_03_1.VOB’ is not present

12:11:22 PM #5 DVDREALLOC -21 File DVDVideoCompilation.cpp, Line 1236
Required file ‘VTS_04_7.VOB’ is not present

12:11:23 PM #6 Phase 117 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1767
DVD-Video files compliance test failed

12:11:43 PM #7 Phase 132 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1767
DVD-Video files compliance ignored

SUPER will convert to .vob files but will not give you the necessary .ifo and .bup files in a Video_TS folder to make dvd-video. Thus you get these errors. In other words SUPER will convert, but not author the video to dvd.

DVDFlick will convert and author to dvd video. Which you can then burn with Nero if you like. Or Imgburn.

FAVC will do the same, and I prefer it over DVDFlick since it can utilize the HC encoder. But either will get you where you want to go.

Forget about FAVC. Too many little bugs and the author seems to be on hiatus.

For a first time user DVD Flick is the best choice. Make sure you set it your region (USA = NTSC). The quality will be fine for your uses. Do note that many car players can be quite finicky when it come to media choice.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2147038]Forget about FAVC. Too many little bugs and the author seems to be on hiatus.

For a first time user DVD Flick is the best choice. Make sure you set it your region (USA = NTSC). The quality will be fine for your uses. Do note that many car players can be quite finicky when it come to media choice.[/QUOTE]

yeah i guessed dvd flick would be an easier choice since favc i would have to download 2 other programs as well. so right now im in the process of making the dvd. now…does dvd flick BURN the dvd as well? or just do everything else? thank you

edit: ok i need someone’s help. i’ve gotten to the burn portion of the process and its directing me to imgburn and its saying there is no medium present. and i’ve got the blank dvd in there? why is it not recognizing it??? i’ve tried 2 different types of dvds and nothing.

someone plz help im at a dead end right now and im not sure what to do…

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Are you sure your computer has a DVD burner not a combo drive?

A combo drive will play CDs and DVDs but it will only burn CDs.

Running dvdflick now to see if I can help…

thanks for your reply lakedude. and i know sometimes its those kinds of questions that solve these kind of problems so i dont regard that as a stupid question. to answer that…yes it is a burner, as it reads on the box “dvd±rw lightscribe double layer 16x drive, burn, flip,burn create custom labels directly with the lightscribe dvd±rw drive”

so i hope this means i have a burner. lol if not i’ve wasted alot of time on this matter lol

i’ve also been reading about my particular hp dvd 740b drive and seems alot of ppl are having/were having issues with it and from the looks of it the only solution i’ve seen so far is to get a new drive :frowning:

i hope this is not the case

[QUOTE=itsjustlenny;2147229]thanks for your reply lakedude. and i know sometimes its those kinds of questions that solve these kind of problems so i dont regard that as a stupid question. to answer that…yes it is a burner, as it reads on the box “dvd±rw lightscribe double layer 16x drive, burn, flip,burn create custom labels directly with the lightscribe dvd±rw drive”

so i hope this means i have a burner. lol if not i’ve wasted alot of time on this matter lol

i’ve also been reading about my particular hp dvd 740b drive and seems alot of ppl are having/were having issues with it and from the looks of it the only solution i’ve seen so far is to get a new drive :frowning:

i hope this is not the case[/QUOTE]OK cool, it is good to get the simple things out of the way first.

I just made a DVD with DVD-Flick and didn’t have any problems. Keep in mind I’ve used similar programs so using DVD-Flick was an natural extension.

DVD Flick should have made an ISO file somewhere on your HD. If Imageburn is causing problems try to burn the ISO with another program like Nero…

[QUOTE=itsjustlenny;2147218]someone plz help im at a dead end right now and im not sure what to do…[/QUOTE]

Have you ever burned a DVD before? Can you play DVDs?

I’m running Vista so DVD-Flick put the ISO file at:

C:\Users\my user name\Documents\DVD\dvd.iso

What OS are you running?

Trying on an XP box now…

hmm…im not sure where it put it lol. i had to reboot my pc and now i cant find where to continue my burning process. seems i have to start all over again and wait another 3 hours to convert video and audio again. i hate waiting. i saved the project but its not in iso.

seems like its not meant for me to burn dvds lol

OK till we get the bugs out only transcode one small sample clip to speed up the process. Pay attention to where it gets put or at least to the name of the file.

i do have that path tho.

C:\Documents and Settings\my_name\My Documents\dvd\dvd

but once inside that second dvd folder there’s 2 folders audio ts and video ts.
the 1st dvd folder has what seem like 8 files about 21mb and about another 10 notepad files. but no .iso file

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2147236]Have you ever burned a DVD before? Can you play DVDs?[/QUOTE]

no, this is my 1st time burning a dvd. altho i have made cds and some linux distro copies. but never a dvd. and i havent tried playing a dvd. i’ll check right now

If you don’t select the ISO option DVD-Flick makes audio_ts and video_ts folders at (with Vista):

C:\Users\your user name\Documents\DVD\DVD\