1st Layer burns slow / 2nd layer burns fine Pioneer 110D

vbimport

Ok this is the craziest thing I’ve ever encountered. I’ve searched for this issue and can’t find anything duplicating my issue. Here’s the scenario…

HP D530 Desktop
Pentium D 3 GHz / 2GB RAM
Nero 7 Premium
Seagate 200 GB (Home of ISO’s to burn) resides on Primary IDE as a slave
Pioneer 110D (fw 1.41) resides on Secondary IDE as a master.

Yes DMA is enabled on all drives!!

When I attempt to burn a Dual Layer disc only (Verbatim DVD+R DL) the first layer burns VERY SLOW. The read buffer is sitting at only 10% and the Pioneer 110D blinks but it is working. It takes nearly 2 hours for the first layer to finish. Once the 2nd layer begins, the burning process kicks in to 4x & finishes normally. I have the speed set to 4x on Nero.

If I attempt to burn a single layer (4.7 GB Verbatim) the speed and burn process is operating properly. 4.7 GB discs complete on time.

This is very strange. Any ideas why ONLY the 1st layer takes forever to burn?

Skip Nero, use imgburn and post the log here.

Completely crazy though, right?

I tried another burn from my Seagate 750 GB SATA drive (on board SATA) same thing. 1st layer took almost 2 hours, 2nd layer burns normally.

Also.

This is a freshly built Windows XP SP3 system. Earlier this month on a different desktop (Dell instead of HP) Win XP SP2, everything was operating properly.

Thanks for the tip chef. I’ll use imgburn and post the log when I have a chance. Enjoy the Long weekend!

So I’m sure nobody cares but I’ll post this anyway HAHA!

My DVR110 seems to have some issue burning dual layer DVD’s only. I purchased a DVR 115D and began burning a dual layer disc using Nero 7 and had no issues. The DVR 110 just won’t burn the 1st layer of a dual layer verbatim disc with any speed. It takes almost 2 hours to burn the 1st layer only. Once the 1st layer completes then the 2nd layer kicks up and burns properly. My new DVR 115D burns both layers with no issues right out of the box.

Who knows what happened?!?! Could be a static shock. My 110D is about 3 years old so I’ve received a lot of use from it and I’m not upset at all. The 115D is working great!

Thanks for the great forum everyone.

For dual layer burning it’s best to use ImgBurn than Nero. ImgBurn is freeware. :wink:

In this case Nero wasn’t the issue, rather the drive itself (110D) is having trouble with dual layer discs.

Nero works well for me although I’ve read many people have trouble with it.

I have downloaded and installed Imgburn. Haven’t had a chance to use it in depth yet. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Mr. HQ;2075722][B]In this case Nero wasn’t the issue, rather the drive itself (110D) is having trouble with dual layer discs.
[/B]
Nero works well for me although I’ve read many people have trouble with it.

I have downloaded and installed Imgburn. Haven’t had a chance to use it in depth yet. :iagree:[/QUOTE]

If you use crap DL media then that is no wonder…

These were with Verbatim DL +R discs. :slight_smile:

I think something happened to my 110D drive because the 115D works just fine on either Verbatim or Falcon.

[QUOTE=Mr. HQ;2080690]These were with Verbatim DL +R discs. :slight_smile:

I think something happened to my 110D drive because the 115D works just fine on either Verbatim or Falcon.[/QUOTE]

I think you shouldnt compare apples with oranges. :wink: