1st attempt at burning DVD+R DL Fails ---Twice!

vbimport

I’m not sure just where to place this.
So, We’ll start it here.

I just bought 10 DVD+R DL discs from an eBay vendor to see how burning them will go.
They are RICOHJPN D01-67 discs.
From what I can glean, they are mediocre discs that can be very variable in quality.

I decided to try burning with 2 different softwares - Nero and PowerISO.
The file is a 5.2MB toast file.
Everything tells me that all I need to do is change the extension to iso and it should burn OK.

I am burning on a LG - HL-DTST DVDRAM [whatever that means] GH22NS50. It is supposedly capable of burning DL discs.
In the almost a year I’ve had them [2 of them] they’ve performed almost flawlessly on CDs and DVD+/-Rs.

Try #1.
I changed the extension to iso and began the burn with PowerISO.
It made it to 76%.
Then I get the notice " Error writing data [439-001fe670 1e329c5c] ".
It looked to be about the completion of layer 1.

Try #2.
I changed the extension back to " toast " and opened it up in Nero Burning ROM. At about 50% completion [what looks to be ~2/3 of the way through layer 1] the burn fails.
I do have the Nero burn log if it would be of help in finding out what is going wrong.
I’m not sure if it is the media, the software, the burner, the file, or ???
I’ve still got 8 discs left.
Any help in figuring this out will be greatly appreciated.

Your main problem is your choice of media. We only recommend two types of +R DL media and they are Verbatim and Falcon. Verbatim is much easier to get, and can be found locally at Best Buy or Office Max if you are in the US. (Edit…I see you are in Alaska)

I’ve never run into a file with a .toast extension. If it is a type of image file it might be possible to rename it with an .iso or .img extension and burn with ImgBurn. ImgBurn is a free burning program, highly recommended for burning DL media.

If this file contains dvd video, ImgBurn will set the layer break for that type of content correctly, which some burning programs will not.

You might try slowing the burn speed down a bit. Try it at 4x if you were burning at top speed before.

Thanks for your input Kerry.
I did forget to mention that I did both burns at 4x.
It is an image of an application disc that is too big [5.20GB] to install on a regular DVD.

In the mean time I ran a disc in Nero Disc Speed’s Create Disc [only 7 discs left now].
It too failed at the end of the 1st layer.

I will try to get down to either Best Buy, Office Max or Office Depot tomorrow
to see if I can find some Verbatim discs.

Toast files are a Mac image file.
And, supposedly, all that needs to be done to converted it to an iso file format is to change the extension to iso.
My experience in playing with the file confirms that.
After changing the ext’n., anything that can read an iso file can read this file.

[QUOTE=freeloader;2526740]
In the mean time I ran a disc in Nero Disc Speed’s Create Disc [only 7 discs left now].
It too failed at the end of the 1st layer.

I will try to get down to either Best Buy, Office Max or Office Depot tomorrow
to see if I can find some Verbatim discs.[/QUOTE]

Sure sounds like a media problem to me if the Nero Create Disc fails also. :doh:
Yes buying yourself some Verbatim discs would be money well spent. :iagree:

Hi getit,
Yep, it sure does seem to be a media problem.
I just d/l’d and ran ImgBurn:

It too failed at the layer change.
The failure didn’t show until the verify operation.
The burn did get my hopes up because it didn’t abort.
Then, the verify dashed them.
And, I’m down to 6 discs.

FWIW, I’d agree it’s probably a media-related problem - the Renesas-chipset LG drives that I own can be picky of media quality at the best of times.

The drive you have (the NS50) is also my most recent purchase, and I’m finding that with most media I’ve tried, including the good stuff like MCC-coded Verbatim and YUDEN000 T02, burns aren’t that spectacular.

I’d choose Verbatim DLs, especially with that drive, although I’ve not tried the Falcons for myself, I’ve heard nothing but good things. :slight_smile:

As a last resort to use up those remaining DLs with your LG, I was gonna suggest lowering the speed, but looks like you’ve already done that.

Sorry about not getting back any sooner. But, my life filled up and has been very, very busy. Right now I’m in a short lull in activity.

I did look locally for Verbatim discs. While I did not mention it, I do want inkjet printable discs. There were none available at Best Buy or Office Depot [no Verbatim at all]. I did not try Wally’s or Freddy’s.

Today, I’ve halfheartedly returned to the quest. I found the manual for the GH22NS50 online. It stated that only Mitsubishi Kagaku Media [Verbatim] and Ritek DVD+R DL are supported. When I get motivated to start this again, I’ll probably try the Ritek Ridata discs first.

I’m not even going to bother with the balance of the Ricoh discs. I’m convinced that they will never work with this burner. 4 coasters out of 4 attempts coupled with their not being listed as being supported is not a good sign.

Thanks for your help and input on this question.

[QUOTE=freeloader;2536190]Sorry about not getting back any sooner. But, my life filled up and has been very, very busy. Right now I’m in a short lull in activity.

I did look locally for Verbatim discs. While I did not mention it, I do want inkjet printable discs. There were none available at Best Buy or Office Depot [no Verbatim at all]. I did not try Wally’s or Freddy’s.

Today, I’ve halfheartedly returned to the quest. I found the manual for the GH22NS50 online. It stated that only Mitsubishi Kagaku Media [Verbatim] and Ritek DVD+R DL are supported. When I get motivated to start this again, I’ll probably try the Ritek Ridata discs first.

I’m not even going to bother with the balance of the Ricoh discs. I’m convinced that they will never work with this burner. 4 coasters out of 4 attempts coupled with their not being listed as being supported is not a good sign.

Thanks for your help and input on this question.[/QUOTE]

Burn quality is similar to Verbatim + they are inkjet printable and much cheaper, they also come in white but the burn quality is a little better with the Pearl.
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/fti-falcon-media-pro-silver-inkjet-hub-printable-8x-dvd-plus-r-dual-layer-50-pack
with MCSE you can do a burn strategy switch with MKM 003
don’t know if they ship to Alaska
try here also for shipping
http://www.duplication.ca/shop/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=21&sort=&sort_direction=&page=2

Hi James,
I looked at the link you had on your post.

Excerpted from the Product Specifications:

Product Specification:
Manufacturer ---- FTI FalconMedia
Format ------------ DVD+R Dual Layer
Speed ------------- 8X
Media Code ----- RICOHJPN D01
Packaging ------- 50 Pack in Cake Box
Surface Type ---- Silver Inkjet Hub Printable
Native Capacity - 8.5GB / 240 Minutes Video

I interpret that as the discs that will not work on these burners are FalconMedia discs.

[QUOTE=freeloader;2536199]Hi James,
I looked at the link you had on your post.

Excerpted from the Product Specifications:

Product Specification:
Manufacturer ---- FTI FalconMedia
Format ------------ DVD+R Dual Layer
Speed ------------- 8X
Media Code ----- RICOHJPN D01
Packaging ------- 50 Pack in Cake Box
Surface Type ---- Silver Inkjet Hub Printable
Native Capacity - 8.5GB / 240 Minutes Video

I interpret that as the discs that will not work on these burners are FalconMedia discs.[/QUOTE]
I was not sure if your drive can use those. If you change the burn strategy RICOHJPN D01 with MKM003 in your firmware they would work.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2536205]… If you change the burn strategy RICOHJPN D01 with MKM003 in your firmware they would work.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm … How could I accomplish that?

EDIT:
I found the MCSE tool and am looking into it. I assume that If I have any questions about using it, they should be addressed elsewhere.
Thanks James.

DELETED

[QUOTE=freeloader;2536210]EDIT:
I found the MCSE tool and am looking into it. I assume that If I have any questions about using it, they should be addressed elsewhere.
Thanks James.[/QUOTE]
correct, it was just a suggestion, MCSE in ther DVD burners forum is the best place to ask
if the Ricoh MID exists in the FW it will work also the Ricoh MID discs that you purchased on eBAY could be the MIT variety and not made by FTI

Its simpler just to order Verbatim inkjet printable DL disks: http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/verbatim-double-layer-dvd-plus-r-white-inkjet-printable-95123-20pack?brand=VERBATIM&filter=Capacity%3D8.5GB&max=15&offset=0

Much has to be considered when I place an order on line.
How a vendor handles shipping is paramount.
Super Media Store will only ship by 2 day air to Alaska.
That brings the price up to ~$75 for a pack of 20 discs.
I do not deal with any vendor that will not ship to Alaska by USPS except when purchasing large ticket items such as a complete component set to build a PC with.
The problem is that most of the larger online vendors have sweetheart deals with UPS and FedEx that preclude the use of USPS.
OK, I’m off my soap box.
This is a sore point with me.
I had to say something at least once.

Thanks to all for your
input.

Ok, try Amazon.com instead.

Their shipping rates to Alaska seem to be reasonable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_rel_topic?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200495550

And they have the Verbatim DL disks in stock: http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-95123-DataLifePlus-Recordable-Printable/dp/B000ANRP82/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1280973130&sr=8-2

This one may even have free shipping to Alaska from everything I read.

Problem Solved.
I’ve just up graded the LG - GH22NS50’s firmware to version TN02.
This version supports Win7.

I’ve been able to burn a 5GB+ ISO file to DVD+R DL.
I had to burn an 8x rated disc at 2.4x to get a successful burn.

Between cost and performance it is obvious to me that DL media is a long way from prime time, probably about the same level as DVD’s when I bought my Sony DRU-500AX [one of the 1st DVD burners].
The experiment is over for now.

To clear things up, your burner is not really the best to burn DL media with!