1Media 8x DVD-Rs bought - are they genuine TYs?

vbimport

I’ve bought a spindle of 1Media 8x DVD-Rs from Strathfield (Adelaide, Australia). And so far I’ve got no luck with them on my Lite-On SOHW-812S (f/w vUSON). I tried to burn at the possible lowest speed, i.e. 2x, and still could not get good copies as they skipped and stopped closer to the end of the movie. :a
The spindle did not have any indication of the country of origin for the discs and the DVDIdentifier showed the following :

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TYG02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Taiyo Yuden Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [TYG02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x]
[6x And Higher Might Not Always Be Detectable]

And here’s my question : are these discs are genuine Taiyo Yuden DVDs or just fake ones? And if not how can I avoid such problems in the future.

I know there are quite a few threads where question like this one are discussed but I’m really mixed up with what I’ve got as the discs look like genuine ones though no good copies so far. :confused: :a
Thank you.

Odds are they are probably fakes, and your best bet to avoid this in the future is to buy from trusted sites, and to get trusted media that we all know is either TY or Ritek. There are a few threads about buying media in the land down under. Good luck

Strathfield sell nothing but crap on their cd and dvd’s. Without a doubt fakes.

Thanks guys. I am wondering if we’ve got a descent on-line shop with good reputation and good prices that ships DVDs to Australia. The ones I’ve checked do not ship here as they are based in US.

In case you haven’t seen the oz bargains thread, http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=89302&goto=lastpost

Yeah, it sounds like fakes to me. This is why I always tell people to avoid “cutting corners” and to order the Manufacturer’s own label.

Isn’t this illegal? I mean if TY didn’t manufacture these media, who did? Couldn’t TY go after them or something (lawsuit and what not) for using their name/brand?

Making knock off products is a whole industry. Its not worth their time or hassle to go after these people. Buy from sources you know to be legit and not worry about it.

Or would you rather have a coupple cents premium ontop of every blank made to cover the costs of going after them?

plays with his fake rolex and oakley sunglasses he got from a street vender for $10

Technically they aren’t using TY’s brand name, just their media code. There doesn’t seem to be any legal issues with this unfortunately.

That’s what I am doing at the moment. Thanks guys. It was a good lesson for me.