1gb of memory and system is still slow

vbimport

I’m using memory hungry programs such as Nerovision Express and Nero Recode, but not all the time. My system seems extremely slow with everything it does - even when it’s not running any programs, but surely 1gb DDR RAM is enough right?

what are the other specs? when you are not using Nero recode or express what program is chewing the most ram in the background, CTRL+ALR+DELETE?

When you are transcoding video with any program, its best to let the computer do its thing. If you had 1 gig ram or 2 gig ram, the process will still use up all of what you’ve got, to make it go faster. Also, transcoding video takes a higher toll on the processor than on RAM. If you do ctrl+alt+delete when you are running Nero recode or express, you will see what I mean. When I am using those programs my computer which is *see sig, will be using 100% CPU and about 400mb ram out of a gig.

My system seems extremely slow with everything it does - even when it’s not running any programs …

Assuming you are running XP, after a fresh boot up, what is running / showing in Task Manager. Some are Services, some are applications started via Startup folder. If you have never “managed / monitored” what is running at startup, this can become a heavy load on both CPU and memory resources… resulting in a sluggish system. Although a number of Services/applications are required, many do not have to run at startup. There is no magic number or which one, since some are preferences. Along with your basic system stat’s, list what is showing in Task Manager.
Also include if video card is “on board” (uses / swipes memory from your 1GB supply) of if you have a video card installed on computer.

When did you last defrag your HD(s)?

TimC has a good point, could have a drive very fragmented. If you run XP it does “auto defrag” when system is idle. My system is 3 years old, defragged once … it just never gets over 6% fragmented. I would be more interested in the size of your HDD and how much free space is available. Both values need to be known. A 20GB drive at 30% available is 6GB … not much space when your working with 4.5 GB movie files… resulting in a slow system.

How do you set it to auto defrag? Or is my system never idle enough? lol I defrag almost 5 times a week as ripping a dvd results in a block of red fragmentation when analysing with defragmenter. is that normal? (Soz for asking a ques in ur thread gaz).

How do you set it to auto defrag? Or is my system never idle enough?
To my knowledge, it is part of OS, no access allowed by us lowly humans. My most ambitious session … 4x commercial DVD backup’s in one evening. See jpg for current status of my drive. Keep in mind, drive has been defragged once in 3 years… about a month after I purchased computer.

Post a pic of the actual coloured status thing?? Just done a scan of my hdd, and it seems that after transfer dvd files off a 4,7 gig dvd theres no red sections for fragmentation. For some reason though, whenever I backup a movie with Clone dvd and set it to save the files to my computer, I end up with a big chunk of fragmented files, weird.

To my knowledge, the Windows built-in defragger is a Lite version of Diskeeper and is NOT capable of being set for scheduled defrags.

You would require the full version of Diskeeper or some other third party software to have the capability of setting scheduled defrags.

It doesn’t hurt to defrag every once in a while but frequent defrags are not required on NTFS volumes as the smaller cluster sizes already reduce fragmentation. The defrag software manufacturers will throw impressive numbers at you but in actuality the performance gains are minimal unless you are dealing with large file such as those encountered from ripped movies.

@[B]Garybrown02[/B]
What Operating System?
What file system?

Right click on the taskbar and select [B]Task Manager…[/B], choose the [B]Processes[/B] tab and take a look at the running processes. Most people’s system have a ton of unnecessary processes running that saps the resources. Typically on my system, Windows 2000 has about 23 processes runnung and Windows XP about 26 processes.

Compare all running processes with the list from Pacman’s Startup Application List.
Here are the keys for the list…
“Y” - Normally leave to run at start-up
"N" - Not required - typically infrequently used tasks that can be started manually if necessary
"U" - User’s choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary
"X" - Definitely not required - typically viruses, spyware, adware and “resource hogs”
"?" - Unknown

Terminate unnecessary, rouge and unknown processes using [B]msconfig[/B].

Run malware detection programs such as Ewido, Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy to see if you have spyware or malware on your system. Make sure that you update these programs after installation to increase effectiveness.

[EDIT]
It’s a good idea to clear cookies and Temporary Internet Files before doing malware scans or they my be detected as false positives.
[/EDIT]