182D cross flash to 182M?

vbimport

Can you cross flash a 182D to a 182M for better burns in an external case or is it necessary or even do-able??

As far as I know it´s not possible to crossflash a Samsung 182x drive. I also think it doesn´t make any sense because the 182D and the 182M share the same writing strategies.

Most unlikely as I don’t think they share the same hardware but the burning capabilities are virtually identical as far as I’m aware.

You can crossflash. Start the Samsung flasher by command line in a DOS window as follows:

sfdnwin -nocheck

This will bypass drive type checking and allow you to flash the 182M firmware to the 182D. You can also flash to the Sony firmware this way. Understand that this is dangerous in that it is possible to force a non compatible firmware to the drive which could kill it. Firmwares that will work with the 182D are the 182M and DRU-830 firmwares. Anything else will likely kill the drive. As always flash at your own risk and if you kill the drive don’t RMA it!!!

Yeah but isn’t the 182M firmware just the 182D firmware with LightScribe added?

That´s what I mentioned some posts before. I don´t think that there will be any difference in writing quality in this case.

Hi,

is there some additional hardware installed in the Lightscribe drives, or is the LS feature only disabled by firmware?

Michael

There is additional hardware. You can use the 182M firmware on the 182D but you will not gain Lightscribe due to the missing hardware.

Worker,
Thanks for outlining the cross flash method.

My question really has to do with performance in an external case, does the “M” firmware work better than the “D” firmware in an external case…in other words, is it optimized in some way for an external case situation.

Similar to a BenQ1620 flashed to an EW1621 or a BenQ1640 flashed to a 164b to optimize performance when used in an external case.
If anyone has real knowledge to that effect, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have no interest in seeing if my 182D can do lightscribe (it can’t-lacks the hardware) and I already have enough Lightscribe burners to keep me busy anyway (truthfully, I only use lightscribe capability occasionally).

I believe their ‘optimized for external’ model is the SH-S184M.

olyteddy,
Actually the SH-S184M is the 182M firmware…I know, I have a SH-S184M now at SB04. DVDInfoPro/CDSpeed both identify it as SH-S182M Firmware.

That is exactly the point. :bigsmile:

Hi,

I doubt this, as both drives are only UDMA-2 capable.

Similar to a BenQ1620 flashed to an EW1621 or a BenQ1640 flashed to a 164b to optimize performance when used in an external case.
This is the point: The external Benq drives had UDMA-4 firmware, the internal versions only UDMA-2.
My personal opinion about this is, that Samsung is using optimized enclosures (NEC chipset btw) for their retail external drives. LG did so in a similar way, their (Prolific based) enclosures also had specialized firmwares.

At the moment I would expect the Samsung to reach about 12x-14x if installed in an ordinary enclosure.

Michael

mciahel and all others,
Thanks for your comments and knowledge.
I’ll try my Samsung 182D in a couple of different enclosures I have and will report back. I don’t imagine much more that what mciahel suggests, 12-14X. If I recall, I believe I did try my 182D in an NEC based USB2 enclosure but was not impressed. It certainly would not burn 18X which my 184M Samsung/optimized NEC external will do with the same media.

You can crossflash. Start the Samsung flasher by command line in a DOS window as follows:

sfdnwin -nocheck

This will bypass drive type checking and allow you to flash the 182M firmware to the 182D. You can also flash to the Sony firmware this way.

Thanks a lot… my friends got Samsung 182D and 830A, but 830A tends to produce better burns than 182D…

OK, Here are some 182D Burns housed in a Plumax/Cypress AT2LT USB2 enclosure.
Could not hit 18X, would always fall back to 12X after hitting 16X+. But 16X Burns worked fine.

Hi,

So this would be the first UDMA2 drive capable of 16x in an external enclosure. Great finding :clap:

Michael