16x record but not play with other players

I’ve successfully burned about two-hundred dvd’s with Verbatim +r 1x-8x, I just bought another hundred Verbatims 16x +r’s and they will record on my standalone recorder and play back on it,but not play on my dvd player nor my computer. The computer reads as blank. (I have finalized these).

I can use the 16x if I record with +rw’s than put the rw into my computer drive ,rip,and copy to the 16x +r’s, than they will play with any of my equipment. My question is why won’t the 16x’s play on my other equipment like the 1x-8x ? I never had to recopy before these 16’s. I’ve asked this on another forum and the reply was that my standalone recorder was at fault. Think that’s so? If so than that must mean that a lot of people are going to have to buy a new recorder sense I notice so many of the blanks are now 16x. Note,the rw’s are 4x Thanks for any info.

I have for equipment:
1.standalone dvd-recorder Artec DR-re12a which has no support,but has worked well for me going on two years.
2.Philips dvd-player dvp642
3.My dvd drive I think? HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H11N
HDT7225DLAT80

Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

250.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
237.02 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Player 11.0.5721.5145
Dial up 56k

Nod32
Adaware
Spyware Blaster
Hijackthis
AVG Anti-spyware
Superantispyware
Bigfix working

Forever Ain’t so long anymore

Burn slower, eg. 8x.

Boggles Try going to the DVD recording section here and tell them your problem. You might get an answer to it. You can’t change the burn speed in a stand alone DVD recorder like you can in a computer. Most of the time I record on a DVD+RW and then take it to the computer to make a copy on a DVD+R. I do it this way because I can edit it or if its a bad copy I don’t have another coaster.

Thanks for the help, but I think I will give this up until someone else has this problem,which I haven’t seen on two forums. I thought many would be having this because most of the blank media sold today is 16x,maybe people like me having older equipment have the problem, but It seems that my dvd drive on the computer should recognize these, or maybe the recorder isn’t really finalizing them.

My thinking is I would have to get a new recorder that is capable of using the 16x.
or maybe there’s some kind of code blocking the ability of making another copy. I have no idea why and that’s what is bugging me! I found through the help of another person statistics on the dvd drive that come with computer here.(http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GSA-H11N
which looks like it should read a 16x.

Dr. Paul I thank you and I use the same method which is record rw than to r,at least that way you don’t throw away a dvd. Before I got the 16’s I used to just put the +r in and when something happened or went wrong I had to throw the disk out.

Forever Ain’t so long anymore

The problem isn’t the reading drive, but your writing drive … it’s burning 16x media at full speed, and it’s a widespread problem that the majority of 16x (or higher) burners can’t write to 16x media at full speed and get perfect results.

Most people write 16x media at 12x or even 8x to get excellent results.

Does your standalone recorder allow you to set the maximum burning speed anywhere?

Have you tried it with any other 16x Media? There is variance in the performance with different burners with MCC media manufactured in different countries.

Do you know what the burner in your standalone recorder is?

You should google it … and/or ask in the standalone recorder section of this forum. There may be a drive firmware update available for better 16x media writing quality.