16x media in the USA?

vbimport

I’m already aware of Verbatim 16x DVD+R Media in the USA. (MCC 004) I’m just wondering if any other media is available to purchase yet? I’ve seen TDK 16x media floating around, as well as Maxell and CMC. (by floating I mean scans.) Just wanted a heads up! Thanks.

I got some Ritek 16x DVD+R (Media Code RITEKR04) about a month ago at the LA Computer Fair in Southern California - paid $15 for 25 which works out to 60 cents each. I had to scrounge around quite a bit to find firmware for my NEC 3500A; but after I got it installed I was able to burn a full disk in slightly under 6 minutes.

Yeah, but outside of the Ricoh produced Riteks, I haven’t heard the greatest things about their +R media. Anyways, I don’t see what the big deal is. There is a whopping 3-4 minutes difference in burning time between 8x and 16x and 8x media (quality media) can be had for significantly cheaper. Some burners even support faster burning on slower discs

I don’t know of 16x media but I also have the Plextor 716A and it burns at 16x on 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD-r. I don’t see why it wouldn’t do the same for the dvd+r. I’m not sure if this helps but I hope it does. I use the silver thermal taiyo’s from supermediastore.com
George

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=316207&pfp=BROWSE

Memorex 16X 5 pack for $13. Hardly a bargain, but they usually have them.
MID = CMC MAG-M01

Jesterrace: You’re quite right… The 8x media is dramatically more cost effective. I’ve been using TYG02s (8x DVD-Rs) for most of my burning (backups etc). I was merely answering the originator of the thread’s question.

Thanks for the tip. So only MCC004 and CMC MAG.M01 for now.

Does anyone know if these 16X CD’s actually play any better in standalone CD players? I have been using TY 8X +R’s and if I burn them at 12x or 16x I get playback problems.

Sorry, that was directed more at the original post. :wink:

PHILIPSC16 is also easily accessible branded as Fujifilm 16x DVD+R.
Verbatim 16x DVD-R should be out soon. :slight_smile:

And you are seeing this Fujifilm 16x where?

Frys Electronics instore and online at www.outpost.com
Availability at other stores should increase soon.

Imation 16x DVD+R is also available online and uses PHILIPSC16 discs.