16X DVD drive dilemma

16X DVD drive dilemma

Hi.
I’m still in a DVD-drive dilemma even after a-few-day research.
I need some helps on picking a 16X DVD drive. >_<"

I’m occasional burner who needs to keep personal/data, software & music/video/anime backups.

My selection criteria is (More stars mean more important):
**** durable (eg last for 2 years or more)
*** can remove riplocks
*** support DVD+/-R(W) & DVD-RAM
*** support bitsetting/booktype (either by default or by firmware)
** support PIF/PI scanning
** burn disc fast at 8X/12X (I won’t burn disc at 16X much due to reliability/quality issues)
** burn DVD-RAM at least at 5X, preferably 12X or more

There’re some DVD-drives I once considered:
(You may suggest others if you see fit)
== Benq DQ60 ==
But some say it’s not a real BenQ DVD drive. Its chipset is not Philips.
Uh… So does it mean bad?

== NEC ND-4550A & ND-4570A ==
But someone says they burn the slowest discs at 8X-12X due to the use of ZCLV.

== LiteOn SHM-165P6S ==
Some guys say they are not durable.

== LG ==
Some guys say they are not durable.
It also miss the feature of removing riplocks, no good bitsetting & PIF/PI scanning support.

I’m in deep dilemma.
Can someone help me out?

Hi,

That means, you are not burning very much discs?

My selection criteria is (More stars mean more important):
**** durable (eg last for 2 years or more)
Hardware might last that time, especially if you don’t use the drive heavily, but most manufacturers don’t support a drive with firmware updates for a longer time than one year.

*** can remove riplocks
:confused: A riplock is just a speed limit for certain type of media. Sometimes such a riplock isn’t that bad :wink:

** burn disc fast at 8X/12X (I won’t burn disc at 16X much due to reliability/quality issues)
That shouldn’t be a problem with recent drives and quality media.

** burn DVD-RAM at least at 5X, preferably 12X or more
Are 12x DVD-RAM drives already available?
Also, due to internal verification, 5x DVD-RAM will be written at 2,5x.

I’m in deep dilemma.
Can someone help me out?
The drive that will fulfill all your wishes isn’t yet engineered, and won’t be in future.

If you can afford it, I’d prefer a LG drive (or a Pioneer or NEC) for DVD-RAM and a Benq 165x for scanning and media that have to be bitset, but can’t by the LG.

Michael

From above mentioned drives, LiteOn SHM-165P6S is the way to go. Don’t trust that “Some guy”. :slight_smile:

Check out Lite-On forum section and this review for more details.

The above mentioned Liteon is the only way to go based on your criteria. Do not use -R until they fix the lead-in problem or get the test firmware from the Liteon forum. It is a good drive, as are most of the current drives made today, with a few exceptions.

[B]Just a reminder.
Is there any other brand of any model which can satisfy most, if not all, my needs?
You don’t need to limit yourself with the few I mention.[/B]

Yes, that’s why I call myself occasional burner. :bigsmile:

Hardware might last that time, especially if you don’t use the drive heavily, but most manufacturers don’t support a drive with firmware updates for a longer time than one year.

Then what’s the consequence?
Does it imply it cannot recognize new discs?

Can it be remedied by relying on third-party firmware?

:confused: A riplock is just a speed limit for certain type of media. Sometimes such a riplock isn’t that bad :wink:

As far as I know they lock the reaidng speed too which is bad.
Why do they slow my reading speed down?

Are 12x DVD-RAM drives already available?
Also, due to internal verification, 5x DVD-RAM will be written at 2,5x.

Yes. I have heard some news about that. Would like to know any drive which support more than 6x.
Yes, that’s why I would like to have 12x (which is really 6x during wirtten).

The drive that will fulfill all your wishes isn’t yet engineered, and won’t be in future.

Unfortunately. :sad:

If you can afford it, I’d prefer a LG drive (or a Pioneer or NEC) for DVD-RAM and a Benq 165x for scanning and media that have to be bitset, but can’t by the LG.

Michael

I prefer to get one only as I don’t burn much.
So from what you say, the only reason of buying BenQ is its bitsetting feature, right?

What LG drive will you recommend?
I think I’ll stick with burning +R(W) discs since they seems to be a bit better.

As a reminder, you could recommend other drives too.
I’m also considering Asus / Panasonic / Pioneer / Samsung.

Any good recommendation if you can have a wider range of choices? :flower:

Asus just rebadges Pioneer, and Panasonic should be avoided.
Samsung (especially their SATA model) seems to be interesting.

But I prefer Pioneer.

chef
So which Pioneer model will suit most, if not all, my needs?

Surely the 111, but it’s not the best scanner. And no bitsetting for +RW (no one should need that these days).

Anyway, you never can foresee how long a drive will last.

You say there’s no bitsetting for +RW, so does it implies it has bitsetting for +R?
To confirm, it’s ok to me if bitsetting can be supported via third-party firmware.

Is DVR-111 / DVR-A11 the same model?

DVR-111, DVR-111D, DVR-A11(XL), DVR-710 … all kinda “different” models, but the same hardware behind. Only different firmware and package/software. (The A11 of course has the honeycomb design and a sweet faceplate)

If Buffalo supplies firmware for the 111 series, we will have bitsetting for +R like with earlier models.

It has already happened.

Also, anyome serious about scanning will get a Liteon.

Aha, where is the flasher…?

Why?

There are only three brands of drives that will scan with out some knid of problem, Plextor, Liteon, and BenQ. Many of the Plextors are overpriced and the rest are BenQs. BenQs are not as precise as Liteon and they have some issues with correctly scanning some media/chipset combinations.

This leaves Liteon. Given that scans are just for comparative purposes, you can “get by” with many different drives and see gross differences and gross errors. If you are as picky as I am and demanding of your media/burner choices, you get a Liteon.

It will be coming. I am sure.

Hi,

Okay, then wear should not be an issue you should be worried about.

(Companies stop firmware support after short time)Then what’s the consequence?
Does it imply it cannot recognize new discs?
Yes. Exactly that. Maybe you can burn newer media with a default strategy, but quality might be poor then.

Can it be remedied by relying on third-party firmware?
No.

(Riplock)As far as I know they lock the reaidng speed too which is bad.
Why do they slow my reading speed down?
I don’t know why they do that, but in my opinion slower reading speeds may improve reading reliability, especially with scratched discs.

Yes. I have heard some news about that. Would like to know any drive which support more than 6x.
As far as I know, 12x DVD-RAM drives are announced, but have not yet hit the market. So, nobody knows how good they perform. Also, I haven’t yet seen appropriate media.

So from what you say, the only reason of buying BenQ is its bitsetting feature, right?
No. Benq drives allow quality scanning and offer the Solid Burn feature to improve the writing quality. Just have a look at the Benq subforum.

What LG drive will you recommend?
I think I’ll stick with burning +R(W) discs since they seems to be a bit better.
I am happy with my 4163B, but that drive is “outdated”. Actually, LG replaces 416x series by newer models, and I don’t know how good the new drives are. But no LG is capable of quality scanning.

Michael

Yes, that’s ture.
Not sure why Plextor can price their products so high. They are not far better than other products. Maybe they wish to fool people to think “dearer” means “better”. :wink:

So does it mean I have to force myself to upgrade the drive every once and then.
If so, how frequent should I upgrade my drive?
(I’m not the guy who like to get par with newest technology :wink: )

I don’t know why they do that, but in my opinion slower reading speeds may improve reading reliability, especially with scratched discs.

But it seems they still lock the speed even if they are quality discs.
Anyway, I think the best solution is either the drvie detect the best speed to read (not just downagrade all speed in every situation) or let user define what speed it should read the disc.

As far as I know, 12x DVD-RAM drives are announced, but have not yet hit the market. So, nobody knows how good they perform. Also, I haven’t yet seen appropriate media.

Yes, but I think it seems not worth waiting for them to hit the market.

No. Benq drives allow quality scanning and offer the Solid Burn feature to improve the writing quality. Just have a look at the Benq subforum.
I am happy with my 4163B, but that drive is “outdated”. Actually, LG replaces 416x series by newer models, and I don’t know how good the new drives are. But no LG is capable of quality scanning.

So LG is out.

BenQ is good, but its DQ60 receives several critique.
I’m not sure if I should get DQ60 now. Probbly it should be out too.
Any comment about this non-Phillip-chipset dirive?

Now I realise that bitsetting can be supported via software. So this shouldn’t be a factor now.
But it seems the drvie has to support PIF/PI scanning. No software can help.

Now the rest candidates are NEC, LiteOn & Pioneer (or other new candidates).