16X DVD Burning and Faster DVD Media

vbimport

Hi guys,

I’m new on the forum and just had a couple of questions about the DVD burning future? I’m planning on replacing my Pioneer A104 (oooolld school) in May, and right now I’m deciding between the NEC 2500A and the Pioneer 107.

However, will there be faster burners out in May or close to that date? i.e. 12x/16x? Either +r or -r?

Also I’ve noticed its impossible to find good and relatively cheap 8x media, so when will the media companies catch up? How long is the ‘lag’ historically between new writing speeds and new storage media? I generally use Princo discs (DVD-R), and have never had a problem, with over 100 burns using the 104, so I might just stick to the 107.

Any replies would be helpful!

I expect it to be at least a year before any 16x media is readily available.

More importantly, when do you think the 12x/16x burners will arrive on the market?

Originally posted by Tugend
More importantly, when do you think the 12x/16x burners will arrive on the market?

They are projected for late this year.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
They are projected for late this year.

I thought Asus was going to have a 12x earlier this year, but maybe its pushed back.

Of course whats coming in the next couple of months is dual layer burning.

I think the first 12x writers will show up quite soon (April-May). Many companies will however skip the 12x speed and go for 16x as the next speed. I just posted on the front page that Philips plans to release a 16x burner i July. That sounds quite optimistic to me but later in Q3 we will probably see the first 16x writer. True 16x media will take some time before we see though…

Originally posted by jsl
I think the first 12x writers will show up quite soon (April-May). Many companies will however skip the 12x speed and go for 16x as the next speed. I just posted on the front page that Philips plans to release a 16x burner i July. That sounds quite optimistic to me but later in Q3 we will probably see the first 16x writer. True 16x media will take some time before we see though…

16X speed is single layer and 2.4X speed is double layer.

Isn’t it?

Which brands are expected to be first with the Dual Layered burning capabilities?

Mike!

Originally posted by Mikerocosms
[B]Which brands are expected to be first with the Dual Layered burning capabilities?

Mike! [/B]
BenQ in April? Philips in June?

Heck thats just around the corner. Thanks a ton bud.

Mike!

So how much faster faster should a 16x be over a 8x? If a single layer takes 7:50 what would a 16x take? 5:30?

Probably about twice as fast.

Mike!

Don’t they start at a lower speed form the start and build up to 16x or is that just ripping?

“The 16fache burning speed reaches DVD burners only in the external area of the Disc, a complete combustion lasts then about five to six minutes. A still higher burning speed is not possible with einlagigen blanks because of the high number of revolutions.”

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9223

I can’t hear any news about LG’s coming 12x DVD writer yet.

Philips will release 16x double-layer burner in June 2004.
At the same time Philips wants to release 16x double-layer media.

Here is the German link:
http://www.pcwelt.de/news/hardware/38247/
http://www.chip.de/news/c_news_11634476.html?tid1=9226&tid2=0

Sorry Im too dumb or too lazy to include Babelfish :stuck_out_tongue:

16x is only for single layer DVDs, double layer is 2.4x.

The official press release is now up @philips.de, Babelfish version here.

Originally posted by Vanderlow
So how much faster faster should a 16x be over a 8x? If a single layer takes 7:50 what would a 16x take? 5:30?

Assuming that 16x recording uses a CAV strategy, it will start out around 6.7x at the start of the disc and reach 16x at the end of the disc, with a 12x average, giving a time of just under 5 minutes.
Just make sure to defrag your hard drive(s) first, you’ll be hitting 20MB/sec. :wink: