16a7s

Did liteon forget about this drive? No new firmware updates ever. not that I’ve had much to complain about either.

You can flash to LH-16A1S CL03 if you want something newer (or just for the heck of it).

[I]Way off topic.[/I] :wink:

Anybody tried a crossflash to 20A7S?
(Most probably eeprom has to be “modified”.)

there’s a 20A7s?

Sorry seeker010, I had LH-20A[B]1[/B]S in mind.

Boes anybody know what differs in PCB between 20A1S and 16A7S

seeker010, do you want to try it (16A7S@20A1S)? Let me know. :wink:

sure, why not.

Link sent via PM.

I have lots to complain about. It doesn’t do anything better than my old Liteys and does some things much worse.

Now it looks like it is dying. I’ve only burned about 15 discs with it, but now it’s burning ProdiscF01 with 14,000,000 PIFs and burning MCC 003 with 390,000 PIFs. It won’t even start to burn a YUDEN000 T02.

I guess I’m now in the market for another SATA drive. I’ve seen recommendations for LG, Samsung, Pioneer, and Lite-On. Maybe I should flip a coin :slight_smile:

This crossflash works ?

A friend of mine is asking for an improvement of his 16a7s unit …

I’ve used the search and found nothing about upgrading this unit.

Thanks in avance to anybody answers …

:wink:

Gyxx

Hi Gyxx,

Yes, it’s possible. Use the Upgrade drive feature in the EEPROM Utility first and then flash with 20A1S firmware using the Flash Utility. Don’t forget to back up the EEPROM and firmware first.

I have the same drive and prefer to use it as original with Verbatim MCC 004 media, at sensible speeds (C0deKing’s FastBurn firmware at 12X gives an excellent compromise between speed and quality). There’s little or no improvement to be gained from crossflashing in this configuration.

[quote=Cressida;2023137]Hi Gyxx,

Yes, it’s possible. Use the Upgrade drive feature in the EEPROM Utility first and then flash with 20A1S firmware using the Flash Utility. Don’t forget to back up the EEPROM and firmware first.

I have the same drive and prefer to use it as original with Verbatim MCC 004 media, at sensible speeds (C0deKing’s FastBurn firmware at 12X gives an excellent compromise between speed and quality). There’s little or no improvement to be gained from crossflashing in this configuration.[/quote]

Thank you so much Cressida for your answer :flower:, i’ve already made him flashing the unit with C0deKing’s 16A7s -fb -eos firmware ;).

Since he’s gonna use MCC004 ans MMC03RG20 as well as TY supports, and as you told me the only improvements in crossflashing are related to overspeed, i agree that the best choice will be to mantain this configuration.

My doubts about crossflashing possibility came mostly because in the official eeprom utility discussion 16a7s unit is not declared as supported, and I’m a little bit paranoic :smiley: !

Cheers

Gyxx

Yes, you can tell him the result depends far more on the choice of media than on the firmware version used. Of course, if he just wants to play and experiment at higher speeds and with less reputable discs, that’s fine too, but in the end many of those discs may be wasted.

Ciao