1693 Problems

vbimport

I used to have a NEC 3500a and I just switched to a Lite-On 1693s and just flashed it w/ KS09. The only the I really changed was the read speed and I used Lite-On’s utility to change the booktype to dvd-rom.

I’m currently using the Optodisc OR8s and they worked great w/ my 3500a. But now it doesn’t seem to be working at all in my stand alone. It would just freeze. And at one point it froze my stand alone.

So I attached my Kprobe scans and was wondering if anyone has any ideas. Also, I can’t seem to get any info on my drive. When I select it from the menu, the program just closes.

The only thing that I can tell you - use some other media. I’m using TDK, Moser Baer India and Mitsubishi Chemicals and rarely get PI max larger than 15, and PIF max larger than 3.
If you want to get info on the DVD drive, you have to switch to KProbe 2.4.2. It’s a known bug in version 2.4.3

Different media is going to be the solution. I’ve done better with Maxell, TDK, and Verbatim discs. Also what speed did you write at? With the prior firmware version, my 4x writes were excellent, but my 16x burn had a scan like yours and playback problems. I haven’t tested the 8x write speed, but I think it’s ok. Stay away from 16x writes for now.

also scan @4x, it’s the forum standard for comparison.

Would you burn and scan a good media such as MCC/TY.
The reason may be the incompability of media.

Or you should scan the disc burned by your NEC and compared it with your disc burned by Liteon 1693s

I actually wonder why you switched from a 3500 to a 1673S. The 3500 is apparently and awesome burner and with the modded firmwares burns everything thrown at it like a champ. Or have you still got the 3500 installed?

Thanks for the Tip. I got 2.4.2 and I can get info on the drive now. I wrote that disc at 8x. I’ll try 4x later today and see what happens.

Here’s my BLER scan at 4x.

Oh. something crazy happened to my 3500. i was copying a cd to my hdd…then all of a sudden i heard a pop. the cd shattered in the drive…hella pieces everywhere and I didnt bother try to clean it out. i still dont know how that happened

I just burned this media at 8x and scanned it at 4x.
Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD-ROM
Manufacturer Sony Corporation
Media ID SONYD11
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 0.00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 16.0x
Maximum Write Speed 8.0x
Current Write Speed 6.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 6.0x CLV

The 3500 will probably be fine if you clean it out. Sometimes very rarely a disc will shatter in a drive if spun too fast due to an imperfection in the disc like a small crack. It happens. Just clean the drive out and keep your fingers crossed. The 3500 is a good drive so save it if you can.