I have read numerous messages about dvd burners not recognising blank media. The drive plays data, audio, and dvds but will not recognise blanks. I think I have tried just about everything mentioned. Here is what I have tried.
I am using windows XP sp1, gigabyte 915 series mb, nero software.
- Updated fw from sony dwd26a to liteon 1673S (still works, but no change)
- Updated nero to the latest version.
- Updated the aspi drivers from adaptec.com.
- Reinstalled various copies of XP, to no avail.
- (obviously) enabled recording in the properties tab.
- Tried the drive with and without DMA enabled
- Enabled and disabled IMAPI service in the XP administration tools.
- Checked all physical connections of the drive. (Secondary IDE, tried both cable select and master jumper. Primary IDE is SATA HDD)
- I have tried various branded blank media.
- I also have a sony USB dvd/cd-rw burner MPD-AP20U. It has the same problem, but works in other machines.
Due to the fact that the USB burner functions in other computers, i fear the problem is software related. All the settings say the drive is working properly.
In “My Computer” the drive is listed as a dvd-r drive, however the driver is the standard microsoft cdrom driver. I cannot select any other driver that specifically mentions dvd-r or similar, so I presume it is correct. It is the default driver windows selected.
Whats left to try other than swapping the keyboard and screwdriver for a sledgehammer?