1670/820a scans

820a @ 1670.

Media: CMC MAG E01
Burn Speed: 8x
Burner: 1670 f/w 102

Is this a good burn? And is there way, such as writing strategy, to improve the quality? Thanks.

I didn’t have good luck with the new 1.02 firmware. Takes drive forever to recognize a blank disc. Big cluster of high PIEs And PIFs just before 0.5 gig to just after 0.5 with T02s and all around lousy burns with MCC004s. Still no Disc Quality scans and limited Qsuite options. I went back to Sony 1.0b and everything is fine now. :frowning:

@fileserver0001, please save your file as PNG. It will look much better. Also update your CD speed.

Thanks

Most of these burns on the I/O Magic rebadged 1670 are the first or second on the media

DW1670 @1.02
Sony branded D21 16x +R @12x

Most of these burns on the I/O Magic rebadged 1670 are the first or second on the media

DW1670 @1.02
valueline unbranded TYG03 16x -R @12x

DW1670 @1.02
Maxell branded Maxell 002 16x +R @12x

DW1670 @1.02
Fuji branded TYG02 8x -R @8x

First burn or 2nd burn doesn’t really matter, I dont think this drive support solidburn and thus it will not learn media. So 2nd burn is independent of first burn, I will burn a DL disc later and post it up here. I know the 1670 has great potential on the DL media.

Another scan,

While it does not have Solidburn (per Nero info tool), I think it learns media to some degree as I have noticed improvement in the burns overall after about the third or fourth burn. Sometimes not much, but consistent enough to give that impression.

Then again it could be that as I do down further in the spindle, the media is slightly “cleaner” :confused:

I have Verb DL on order, as this is the first drive I have had that has tempted me to try it (too expensive just to play with :smiley: )

Oh, yeah. I just notice that =). What do you mean about updating my CD speed? Write the DVD at 12x? Anyone know why the PIF is so high around 1 instead .0something?

Ok, here is the DL burn
First Disc
Burnt @6x (max speed allowed)
from an image, using imgburn
PI Errors look super good, PIF looks good till at 0.8gb, must be disc defect
I was amazed by the low total PI errors
PIF total error was around 30 total till it reached 0.8gb mark, it jumped to over 5000 total just at that mark alone.
total burn time: 19 minutes.

I think this drive has potential on DL disc. Must be disc defect at 0.8gb. I will give it another spin when I have time.

Burned at 12X? How? :confused:

You will need the program from this page to do it.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=124905

Post 9 will show the basic of changing the writing or burning strategy.

Here is Staples Brand CMC 16X media burned at 12X with firmware 1.02
Very good burn for this spindle, on par with all my other burners
This drive definately has potential.

Nice burn. Is it DVD-R or DVD+R? and does it matter?

it burns all differently and it is media dependent, the case above was +R. If I feed it with a quality -R, I am sure it will do better. But the above scan was considered to be crappy to average media, but it burns nice on crappy to average media.

Ok Folks, here is the redemption from the previous DL post
Everything stays the same, except that it is 2nd burn on the drive, I am not sure if it matters since it does not have solid burn support. I think the first was the disc faulty.

Burnt @ 6X, max speed allowed under this firmware (1.02) (I/O Magic drive was flashed to Sony 820A under Ala42 aided firmware, now flashed back to BenQ 1670 1.02, thanks to Ala42 mediacode edit software to make the cross flashing possible.

I used MCSE to flash the drive from Sony 1.0b to Benq 1.02 and thought i had it set to burn at 12X. I think I scewed up because it took for ever to recognize a blank disc and burned pretty bad. I think I will download the firmware again and start over! :confused: