165P6S with Panasonic DVD-RAM

Hi, in this thread (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=122274) a number of people are having problems with their LG drives erroneously locking their DVD-RAM disks so they are no longer usable in their Panasonic DVD Recorders.

I have recently found I am in the same camp with an LG 4176B drive and Panasonic recorder.

I am therefore considering returning my LG (it’s only a few days old) and getting a LiteOn 165P6S to replace it.

Does anyone here have this drive and a Panasonic DVD Recorder? If so, are there any issues that you know of?

Thanks.

Litespeed,

I have an 165P6S and use the Panasonic DVD-RAM drive with no problems at all.

GB

Sounds good.

It seems that if one uses Panasonic DVD-RAM disks in an LG drive they become forever exiled and can’t be used again in a Panasonic DVD Recorder.

How is the 165P6S otherwise?

Hi,

This is not a problem of Panasonic branded discs, and it is not a problem of the DVD writer. As far as I remember, this is related to Panasonic’s DVD-RAM driver (very recommended), and it is documented in the driver’s readme.

How is the 165P6S otherwise?
I’d prefer the LG, but I don’t like their firmware support policy: they apparently stop releasing newer firmware if they had thrown a new drive on the market.
The Litey is a good reader and DVD scanner, and it is the worst CD writer in my rig. Also I could not get it working with Panasonic DVD-RAM driver (W2k).

In order to avoid accidently write access on DVD RAM, you may consider adding a DVD-RAM capable DVD-ROM drive to copy the recordings to your harddisc.

Michael

I’ve been writing RAM discs in my LG 4163 (with Panasonic driver), and using them in a Panasonic ES10, never had any trouble at all.

Win2K requires that the DVDRAM.inf file be modded for use with the LiteOn drives, there’s an old thread on this here. WinXP does not have this issue.

:iagree: Yepp. But unfortunately I did not manage got get it working with my USB connected drive :frowning:

WinXP does not have this issue.
This is also true with Win9x/ME. There, an additional drive is created that is used to access DVD-RAM functionality. Same with W2k.

Michael

It seems this problem is confied to a small number of Panasonic recorders and more specifically Panasonic brand DVD-RAM disks.

From the manual that came with Panasonic’s DVD-RAM drivers (XP version):

[B]Accessing DVD-RAM discs recorded on a DVD VIDEO Recorder[/B]
When you record onto a DVD-RAM disc with a DVD video recorder, a DVD video camera, or computer software that follows the “Video Recording Standards” developed by the DVD Forum, a folder labeled “DVD_RTAV”, in which all the relative video recording standard files are stored, is created. Do not access this folder and the files it contains with a computer.
If any of the files are erased or changed, you may not be able to play the video on a DVD video recorder or with the video software for computers.
To access these files with a computer, you will need special software.

Also, it is strongly recommended to use UDF 2.0 file format, if the disc is intended to be used in computer drive and in a standalone DVD recorder.

Michael

Yes I’m aware of this readme. I’ve formatted the disk using UDF 2.0 and 2.01 and neither works. The quote above makes mention of “special software” but it never actually elaborates what this software is. If they mean proper DVD authoring software then that doesn’t solve the problem.

My point still stands. If I were to use a non-Panasonic brand DVD-RAM disk then I could transfer back and forth between my DMRE65 and LG 4176B with ease. In fact,
I am going to go out this morning and find a non-Panasonic DVD-RAM disk to try this out. I will report back.

I think, they mean something really special… No standard stuff.

My point still stands. If I were to use a non-Panasonic brand DVD-RAM disk then I could transfer back and forth between my DMRE65 and LG 4176B with ease. In fact,
I am going to go out this morning and find a non-Panasonic DVD-RAM disk to try this out. I will report back.
Okay. But in that case stay clear from Verbatims as they are made by Panasonic.

Michael

I’m tempted to ditch the LG altogether.

I’ve used nothing but Panasonic branded RAM discs to transfer back and forth between LG 4163 and Panasonic ES10, never had any problems at all. Also use an NEC 4550 and have used a LiteOn 165P6S as well.

I too suspect that these reported issues relate to the write-protect function in the PC drivers. If so, it might not matter what burner you use.

Which drivers do you use? Can you post them somewhere?

The Panasonic drivers are posted all over the place here.

I use it in Win2000:

Driver Software
    meiudf.sys                               - Ver 4.0.7.0
    dvdram.sys                               - Ver 4.0.1.0
Format Software(DVDForm)                     - Ver 4.2.2.0
Write Protect Tool(WPTool)                   - Ver 1.1.6.0
DVD-RAM Utility(DVDTool)                     - Ver 1.1.3.0

Litespeed,

You can find the Panasonic drivers at the addresses presented in the following post: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1486826&postcount=2

GB

The driver versions I have are:

Driver Software
meiudf.sys - Ver 4.0.8.0
Format Software(DVDForm) - Ver 4.2.2.0
Write Protect Tool(WPTool) - Ver 1.1.6.0
RAM Assistance Tool(RAMASST) - Ver 1.1.0.0

Still no joy. The recorder says the disk is unformatted and it won’t format it.

Try to format them in your PC using UDF 2.0. Then see, what your recorder does.

Michael

Litespeed,

To format the disks use the DVDForm application.

I have the same drive versions as you.

GB

I think maybe the issue is that you are using a driver upgrade which is not specific to your drive.

I had a similar problem when upgrading to meiudf.sys version 4.0.8.0 from 4.0.7.0.

The problem went when I reverted to 4.0.7.0. Here is an installer hacked for all drives. Use this and I think you might be OK:

http://rapidshare.de/files/8176193/XPDrv5021NEN.rar.html

Nope doesn’t help.

I’ve tried every version of DVD-RAM drivers that have been posted. I’ve also tried InCD from Nero 6 and Nero 7. I’ve erased and formatted in UDF 2.00, 2.01 and 2.50 and still my recodred will either go into a reset loop or tell me that the disk is unformatted.

I’m going to RMA the drive and get a LiteOn 165P6S or Asus 1608P3S (those model numbers are very similar)