I did memtest86+ yesterday and it came up with a whole page of bad addresses. I’ve contacted Mushkin and they are going to replace it with new memory (lifetime warranty). So, maybe the bad memory was the cause. I burned a tiny little CD (the memtest86+ image) and it verified without problems. I think the first bad memory location was at something like 367M, so it would not have been a problem for small burns, I guess.
I did check DMA and it’s on for this drive, but I had to use Nero DiskInfo to get this information. There was no DMA checkbox on any of the device Properties tabs. I’ve had this problem before… not sure why DMA is not an option for me.
As for cables, this is an aftermarket, round, “aerodynamic” cable that I paid something like $8 for, so I think it’s unlikely to fail.
I’m going to get that other memory test utility and run that to see how fast my current memory is. It’s only 266MHz memory and could be 2-2-2, but memtest86+ says it’s set to 2-3-3-6. I’ve got some 400MHz DDR memory that I can steal from another computer while the Mushkin comes in and I’m curious to see the difference in speed between the two.
I’ll try and report back if the new (borrowed) memory solves the problem.
If it does, I’ll never buy anything except Lifetime Warranty memory ever again (not that I make a habit of it).